Thread: CPES in Canada

Question CPES in Canada

I just discovered that Jamestown can't ship this stuff to Canada. Does anybody know of a source of it in Canada, as close to Ottawa as possible?

Default Re: CPES in Canada

I purchased some a few years ago from BCS Inc. They're in Tiverton, ON but they ship - www.woodrestoration.net

Howard

What are you using it for?

Try these guys;
    http://www.indform.com/

They bought System 3

The down load is worth the effort.

Thanks, everybody, for the info. It seems that BCS has a distributor not too far from Ottawa so I will likely deal with them. Its just a short drive and I will be able to save on shipping.

Gert, I am in the process of repairing a lapstrake boat, or trying to. The boat has been out of the water for years and, somewhere along the line, it got dropped which caused most of the fastners in the transom to break off anywhere between a quarter and a half inch below the surface of the transom. I have removed the transom and got the broken off screws out and I am about to re-install. However, I am worried that the strakes, dry as they are, may very well split when I try to get them back into place for fastening. I thought that a coating of CPES might reduce that danger.

Bob -

CPES is a hot-button topic on this forum, as some like it and others think it expensive snake-oil. I use it for sealing / priming solid wood before painting or varnish, and to soak the edges and/or any holes in marine ply to protect against rot before coating with epoxy or paint.

However I'm not sure that CPES would keep strakes from splitting when forced back into place -- sure seems like steaming would be more effective and safer.

Can you give us more info on the boat, the condition of the strakes, wood used, dimensions, etc? Photos will also be a big help.

First - don't attach photos. Most web forums don't allow it, and space limitations are the main reason why.
    Second - Instead of attaching them to a thread, post the pics on the web somewhere. You have a free website area with any paid ISP's email account, or use www.picturetrail.com or other free hosting service.
    Once posted on the web, right-click the image to copy the URL (web address). Always test first by pasting the image URL into the window of a web browser and see if the image displays.
    Remember, the IMAGE URL will end in .jpg, not .htm or html. URLs ending in .htm are the page that the image is at, not the image location itself. If the image URL ends in other code, try deleting everything after the "xxxxxx.jpg" part of the URL to get it to display on web forums.
    Third - once posted on the web, try this procedure while logged in to this Forum:
    1. Click the "User CP" link in the browser window in the top left of the menu bar.
    2. Click the "Edit Options" link about 1/4 of the way down the left column.
    3. In the "Misc Options" at the bottom of the next page, select "Enhanced Interface" from the pulldown list.
    4. Once this interface has been selected, in any "Reply" window you can click the "insert photo" icon --> a little yellow square icon with the stamp in the upper right corner, the mountains in the lower center.
    5. Once the little dialog box titled "Please enter the URL of your image" comes up, paste the URL of the photo in the field.
    If unsure of the procedure, test first by pasting the image URL into the window of a web browser.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Thorne, there is a thread in building/repair that has some pictures of the boat. It is called "reattaching planking to transom" and there are a couple of shots of the stern before the transom was removed that should be useful.

As I have said, the problem is that that this boat is about as dry as it can get and I am worried that things might very well fall apart once I start moving the strakes very far. The boat only has four strakes per side so they are pretty wide. The garstrake is below the transom but the others land on it. As you will be able to see from the picture, the strakes are sitting pretty far off where they are supposed to be. I have added a cleat to the transom to widen it where the fastners go and I plan to fasten to the cleat before I fasten the actual transom and I also plan to build some sort of clamp which will provide pretty good support but I am still worried.

I know there is controversy over CPES but what harm can it do?

Thorne, there is a thread in building/repair that has some pictures of the boat. It is called "reattaching planking to transom" and there are a couple of shots of the stern before the transom was removed that should be useful.

As I have said, the problem is that that this boat is about as dry as it can get and I am worried that things might very well fall apart once I start moving the strakes very far. The boat only has four strakes per side so they are pretty wide. The garstrake is below the transom but the others land on it. As you will be able to see from the picture, the strakes are sitting pretty far off where they are supposed to be. I have added a cleat to the transom to widen it where the fastners go and I plan to fasten to the cleat before I fasten the actual transom and I also plan to build some sort of clamp which will provide pretty good support but I am still worried.

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post

Just to your pocket book and lungs.

I am not numbered among the born-again CPES believers. However, I do think it is a good sealer. I am not sure it would do much good for you. In any case, all finish must be removed to use the stuff. That is pretty much a nightmare on a small lapstrake boat.

Probably you only need to be sure the moisture content is up...maybe coat with linseed oil if you feel you must.

Oh -- now I remembah the boat in question.

I'd say forget the CPES, as it might keep the planks from taking up moisture if you later decided to steam 'em. Try presoaking with a sprinkler a few days in advance, leaving wet sacking or towels on the wood to hold the moisture.

Then rig up a BIG Spanish windlass to squose the whole thing together for fastening the planks to the transom -- and leave it squose up while your glue cures and fasteners are placed, and while the planks dry.

If you want to risk lungs and pocketbook with CPES, use it as a sealer when you've sanded everything down to bare wood, before you apply varnish or paint. I use it on my dory skiff and it has been good to me....so far. It needs UV protection from a good varnish or paint -- don't leave it exposed without that covering.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Oh -- now I remembah the boat in question.

I'd say forget the CPES, as it might keep the planks from taking up moisture if you later decided to steam 'em. Try presoaking with a sprinkler a few days in advance, leaving wet sacking or towels on the wood to hold the moisture.

Then rig up a BIG Spanish windlass to squose the whole thing together for fastening the planks to the transom -- and leave it squose up while your glue cures and fasteners are placed, and while the planks dry.

If you want to risk lungs and pocketbook with CPES, use it as a sealer when you've sanded everything down to bare wood, before you apply varnish or paint. I use it on my dory skiff and it has been good to me....so far. It needs UV protection from a good varnish or paint -- don't leave it exposed without that covering.
    Mostly agree with the above except that I think squose is spelled with a z.

Another good way to make an island of humidity is:
    1. Get a clean garbage can or line a used one with a bag.
    2. Fill with sawdust from a thickness planer.
    3. Fill can with water and saturate sawdust, stir mixture with oar or similar.
    4. Pour off any excess.
    5. Put saturated sawdust down on waterproof floor.
    6. Put boat above sawdust and put plastic cover over all.

Sawdust will stay damp for weeks. Also good for storing bending oak.
    Last edited by pcford; 07-22-2008 at 04:51 PM.