Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for NZ Northland toorist?

Default Re: Suggestions for NZ Northland toorist?

When I'm really settled into a coastal cruise, which means I wake up a couple times a night to check stuff out, I get good at picking the time by where the southern cross is and how far round its wound itself .
    They have a share in a nice place ( which they'll sell now),but they've bought land on the hill so they can look out across the beach or back across the estuary as well. My B.I.L has a good late model tin fizzboat and they do the bar in that for fishing and day trips out to the Mercurys.

Nice little community of modest 'looking' batches there. All worth a small (or not so small) fortune now I imagine. One of the things I really liked there was the little harbour in the estuary. I thought "yes, this would do ... win lottery, buy boat ..."

Christmas eve 1999, Cheryl & I are drinking beer and playing cribbage in the bar at the hotel in Milford Sound when another Yank couple asks if they can join us. The guy is wearing a Harken hat and introduces himself as Peter Harken. They're traveling during the break between LVC rounds and yes, he is the Harken of the famed sailing hardware company.

After many shared road stories the subject of 'what's strangest for us in this country?' comes up. I mention that back home I'm pretty good with knowing which direction is which, but down here I have to look around and put some serious effort into figuring out where's North et al. They both broke out laughing and admitted that they were lost too.

I think it had to do with the fact that the warm lattitudes were to the North, the cold lats opposite and the sun rose and set on the opposite side of where it does relative to those lattitudes compared to home. That and those frickin' wierd constellations down there. Anyhow that's my excuse.

At least we were no more lost than the big kids were.

Next morning was eggs benedict and champagne for Christmas breakfast on the shores of Milford Sound outside our little camper! Wifey had somehow smuggled along the 2000 WB calender for my Christmas gift and gave it to me then.OMG I love that woman!
    Plures Naves Quam Mentes!

More Boats Than Brains!

Quote Originally Posted by Willin' View Post
    OMG I love that woman!
    Was this before or after the motorcamp hostess affair?

Feb. 2000 was our first trip there. Better exchange rate for us back then, eh.

Got just a few more pics and they are boat related, and actually have some bits of wood. I'll start a new thread in MBR so others that might be interested won't have to suffer through my beach pics and vacation drivel.

Here's one:

Default Aotearoa One at Gulf Harbour. Cool!

That's the stern carving of the big waka unua that's tied up at Gulf Harbour. It's a modern design based on traditional Polynesian voyaging canoes, with an eye to being legal (and practical) for sail training and charter. Beautiful job of boatbuilding. There's another waka unua, rather older and plainer, up at Mangonui.

I talked to Potaka Taite, a Mäori musician who also teaches traditional nautical arts and is one of the skippers of Aotearoa One. He said they were planning to take it to Raratonga, which would backtrace the original voyages that populated the two islands known as New Zealand. As a navigator, he described the ways of tacking and wearing the rig, and also observed that when sailing blue water, he always kept an eye on the wake, rather than looking ahead, because the wake would tell him how well the boat was being steered with respect to the wind.

Last time I was in NZ I got to drive an Americas Cup yacht, NZL 41, on a charter from the Viaduct Basin. Next time, I'd like to sail on this waka. What a beauty!

If you take the daytrip from Auckland to Tiritiri Matangi (stunning) the ferry stops in Gulf Harbour and you can get a look at this boat.

(I've got some nice photos, but this buggery interface won't accept anything bigger than a postage stamp.)

In any event, my Northland must-sees would include Hokianga Harbour, Ahipara, Te Reinga, Spirits Bay, Matai (or Maitai) Bay, and the Rawhiti - Cape Brett area in the Bay of Islands.

cheers, Chip

Default Pee Ess

The photo shows the stern of one hull: it's a cat.

Yes, it's Aotearoa One. Chip-Skiff knows his stern carvings. Not many of those in Wyoming.

I posted some pics in Misc. Boat Related
    http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/show...73#post1787173

One thing that I confirmed on this trip was something I already knew – my favorite way to explore this part of the world is by boat. SWIMPAL’s heard it a hundred times. Every time we’d be checking out some nice little bay or coastline I’d say, “if we just had a little boat … see, we could launch over there … sail around over to so-and-so … maybe camp over here … spend a few days, see how the weather goes, then maybe drive up to … launch …” (repeat) SWIMPAL nods patiently, rolls eyes, “yep”. I’m thinking of a little Welsford Navigator or Pathfinder, SWIMPAL’s thinking the 60’ yacht was nice. Almost have her convinced to try the wee boat thing though. I torture myself by looking at boats on TradeMe.

That very sentiment is what caused me to get a boat.
    It was 1981 in the Abel Tasman park at the tip of the South Island of NZ, we were camping in French bay which has a very narrow estuary and a drying out tidal delta behind it.
    I noticed that quite a few trailer sailors had gone in there but one day a Herreshoff leeboard ketch appeared and stood there on legs.
    That boat was freshly built it turns out. Its name was Tern and it was the one featured in LFH's cruising book. At the time I don't believe one had been built( the book certainly laments the fact that it was an un built design).
    Anyway,one epiphany later, in 1982 and in Auckland we bought a windsurfer and in 1983 , Waione.
    I came across Tern probably 15 years later when she moved up here with a new owner and now I see her once or twice a year at the various events or sailing in the Bay of Islands where she lives.
    She is one cool boat.
    Last edited by John Bertenshaw; 03-12-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Ha! Thought I had one uploaded...
    Tern,as she is Jan 2008 off Urapukapuka island in the Bay of Islands.
    Last edited by John Bertenshaw; 03-12-2008 at 04:47 PM.

Very cool boat!

An experience in the Abel Tasman triggered our getting a boat as well. We were camping/kayaking there in 2000. I think we were in a little bay near the Pinnacle. In the evening a nice yacht came into the bay and anchored. Dude strips down, puts on a dive mask, grabs a Hawaiian sling and goes in to get dinner.
    SWIMPAL says, "I want to do THAT!"
    I say, "what, you want to get nekkid and kill fish?"
    "No, SAIL. It looks so civilized, so sensible".
    When we got back to the States she took a sailing course and we found a C22 to get us on the water. Not many Herreshoff's in Montana, and no Bailey's that I know of.
    Winsurfer to Waione - love it!

Yeah, carted the damn thing around for about 3 seasons too until we worked out that the places we anchored , sheltered/offshore breeze, were unsuitable for sailing a windsurfer most of the time.

Chris has taken Tern offshore to the Pacific Islands too. Thats a pretty serious piece of water out there.
    Hey, you know the guy I told you about in the story up this thread ,of picking the skull off the beach in 1939.
    He just had his 97th birthday on the weekend. 97! and sharp as.

Default waka talka

John Bertenshaw—

The link you posted is to a smaller, older double-hull waka, which I think I saw moored at Mangonui in August 2006.

Aotearoa One is quite new and rather larger, with considerably more sheer to the ends, and very ornate stern and bow carvings. I've tried to post a photo, but even a tiny one gets a reply that it exceeds my quota.

Not sure how all these big pickies get posted. Certainly not the way I'm trying to do it.

Chip

Default see this thread for pix

JP posted a whole series of Aotearoa One on another thread: <www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1787224>