Thread: Need a Dory?

If you haven't got your order in yet for a Lunenburg dory, you'd better hurry. The whole shoreline is for sale and up for grabs. The Doryshop could become waterfront condos before we know it.
    Check the website, there's a small video to download.

http://www.doryshop.com/

In Aug 2004 I visited Nova Scotia for vacation. One of my favorite places was Lunenburg. I visited the fishermans museum, ate lunch at a downtown restaurant, saw the famous schooner Bluenose, sailed Eastern Star in the harbor and visited this dory shop where I watched a guy build a dory. Outside were stacks of just delivered hackmatack knees waiting for future dory construction. He built one every two weeks.
    Hopefully this will NOT get sold for condos or other development. IMHO it would be a great loss. I could not find anything on the web about it but I know that parts of Lunenberg are designated a UNESCO world heritage site. I don't know if the dory shop is part of the site but it seems it would be and if so it would be preserved.

Will.

The dory Shop is indeed part of the property holdings that are or will be placed for sale.The shop rents the building from the property owners and,I understand,receive quite a low rental rate.The fear is that they will not be able to afford the rents imposed by new owners providing the use is left as is.The property for sale is prime harbour frontage real estate although the buildings are old and require maintenance.They form a major part of the unique working waterfront of Lunenburg.The Town was given an opportunity to purchase the first property to go on the block but declined due to the cost.The local paper reports that one building,not with direct waterfrontage,has been purchased by a couple living in the area with plans for an artist's studio and a boat retail selling FG Folkboats built in Europe.By the way, included in the properties for sale is the Smith and Rhuland boatyard where the following were built:
    Bluenose I and II,The Bounty and The Rose along with hundreds of Banks schooners.
    At present the area zoning will not permit condo development but developers can be persistant.The UNESCO Heritage designation applies to only a portion of the Town so will not protect the concerned properties.
    There are concerned individulas who are attempting to insure the area remains in keeping with the working marine heritage.

Thumbs up

What a cool site! My ancestors first settled in Lunenberg when they crossed the atlantic in the 1700's. I haven't been there yet, but I want to go. Maybe my fascination with dories and skiffs is genetic. Someday I plan to visit Nova Scotia, and maybe bring home one of those wonderful dories.

Skiff...the town is worth visiting.
    Nvrdun!
    It isn't a Cape Dory...and it depends upon how much you want to spend but the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum takes orders on dories of this length...They build them there as part of their educational program...The damn'd things look great...
    The ones they build are approximately 14'...Can get one with or without sails etc.
    They ain't cheap...last check but they look great.
    jamj

The properties for sale in Lunenburg are those holdings of Clearwater Fine Foods/Scotia Trawler Ltd. shown below circled in red. The Dory Shop is the wee buildings in their own circle at lower right. Not shown out of the picture to the right are the Scotia Trawler Grocey Store, the old Smith & Rhuland shipyard complex, Scotia Trawler Marina, and the Lunenburg Marine Railway, all a complex of buildings and waterfront equal in size to what is shown in the picture. Scotia Trawler sold its holdings to Clearwater a few years ago, and Clearwater has decided that with the change in technology to large freezer-trawlers it is no longer viable to use the old buildings and shallow berths in Lunenburg as their base of operations. All in all, about 50%-60% of the Lunenburg town waterfront. A big deal, indeed.

The Fisheries Museum complex is the group of red buildings and the two un-circled wharves to the far left, the un-circled angled wharf in the lower right is the government wharf, and the wharf to the left of the govenment wharf is the Picton Castle's home wharf. All the vessels tied up at the wharves inside the circled area are deep-sea scallop draggers (about 1/4 of the fleet at the time of this photo in 1993), most of which have been sold or mothballed as they have been replaced by three factory freezer-trawlers.

What we are witnessing is the death and dismemberment of an industry and way of life every bit as complete and disruptive as the change-over from commercial sail to steam. Lunenburg is fast becoming a fishing town in every sense that Mystic is a whaling port.

Here & there in Texas - But changing in 2020. Standby.

Bummer. I better get up there soon before it's gone like some other places I dawdled over visiting and now it's too late.

Thanks for the news!

Wayne
    In the Swamp.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

mmd / reddog: I am also very concerned about what could happen to the Lunenburg waterfront, but... Is Mahone Bay better off or worse off with the changes that have taken place over the last 10 or 15 years - ie: the development of the old business properties such as the ABCO property, the Burgoyne property, the Moorings etc... In my mind Mahone Bay has improved. (especially public access to the waterfront) Could the same not happen in Lunenburg?

Steve,I guess the part that sucks is that it all seems to be removed from local control.Risley and company,Clearwater,have made a "business" decision to sell off the properties and their value exceeds what most locals could even dream of paying.Michael touched on this a bit when he mentioned the mothballing of the fishing fleet,replaced by the factory trawlers.Clearwater has been buying up fleets and fish plants for years to acquire the quota or licenses only to shut the businesses down and move operations elseware for economic reasons.The globalization and monopolization of the industry allows a single company to own half a town.
    I'm sure Lunenburg will survive,but in what form is the question.I fear it will evolve into a living museum or worse yet.The buildings will remain but the days of walking the waterfront to the sights,sounds and smells of a living,working industry will be gone.Hopefully the developers and condo advocates can be kept at bay until a realistic development plan can be realized.
    Mahone Bay seems to be doing ok with its waterfront of quaint shops,cafes,etc. but this is exactly what set Lunenburg apart.It had a vibrant working waterfront.It would be interesting to see the old S&R Yard developed as a boatbuilding school to replace the course closed by the Community College.This could tie in with The Dory Shop,as well as the Picton Castle and possibly the NS Sea School.We shall see.
    MMD,Michael I'm not sure but did you include the Adams & Knickle building within your circle?I believe that is still family owned and operated and not on the auction block.This is certainly precipitating some changes.

Earl

[ 01-15-2005, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: reddog ]

I'm hoping to visit Lunenburg when we come up to the Mahone Bay wooden boat festival. Anyone have the dates handy for the festival?

Steven

Mahone Bay Boat Festival dates: July 28 - 31, 2005

Earl, if the A&K buildings and wharf are not part of the package, that excludes the red buildings and one wharf at the top left of my circled area.

Steve, Mahone Bay has been asleep/gentrified since the end of the wooden shipbuilding era in the fifties. Only in the past decade or so have they begun to commercialize, and that is focused mainly on tourist/arts/crafts businesses. The ABCO property is now Reinforced Plastic Systems, a going concern manufacturing specialty FRP process piping, but with very little change to the original ABCO buildings.

As Earl mentions, Lunenburg's character was created and maintained by being a working waterfront for commercial fishing vessels, not a preserved facade of it's former self. This is about to change. There are groups of us working towards finding a way to a different form of working waterfront, but the task is daunting in the face of the monies required.

And to add a sense of urgency is the fact the properties are being offered up for sale as we speak.It makes it difficult to develop any strategy.
    Steven,mayby we could all have a get together this summer?How long are you planning on being in the area?

Earl

[ 01-15-2005, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: reddog ]

We're really just coming up for the festival but hope to tack on a day or two before or after, also. I'm dying to see an Eun Mara in the flesh and Howard says his will be ready by festival time. He sent me pictures early on in the construction and I think he posted a few here but I found some more recent ones at The Small Wooden Boat Association of Nova Scotia's site. If anyone sees him we could use an update here.

Steven