Thread: Sanity Check Needed... is this setup excessively jackleg?

Default Sanity Check Needed... is this setup excessively jackleg?

IMG_1120 (1).jpeg

14' boat, 8' of which is outside the bed of the truck. I've got trailer lights that mount on the stern and the boat is well supported by the T-extender but is this just too weird to make sense for a cross country trip?

Default Re: Sanity Check Needed... is this setup excessively jackleg?

I would be more worried about the legality of it. Here there are laws limiting the rear overhang of loads.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Tom, this is just my personal opinion, and others will chime in - I might suggest a 2 10 or 2 x 12 plank from the front wall of the pickup bed, extending out to the bed-extender crossbar, and wrapped in carpet. This would act similar to a trailer bunk, and help keep the boat hull from deforming from the pressure of a single point of contact.

Rick

And I would check with overhang laws on states you'll be going through. No way you can cartop it? Seems like it'd be safer.

I believe that legally your tail lights, or at least some rear clearance lights need to be within something like three feet of the aft end of the load, and at a minimum that support bar should have a well fitted and padded cradle to support the hull. Lights could probably be rigged on a cross bar that clamps to the gunwales fairly far aft and could plug into a trailer wiring socket if you add a ground wire.

I suppose that the main thing to be aware of is that even if it is set up well and working fine, it's going to attract attention. That means that you want to be sure that any and all legal aspects have been addressed properly, in case you get pulled over.

Then there is always the old exhaust fumes in the cockpit issue that used to be a factor back in the days when station wagons had roll-down back windows. Car-topping or a light trailer certainly might be a better plan.

Thanks for the feedback... I have a well used Trailex but it isn't up to a long trip and the boat is too heavy for me to car top by myself.

Rick, I like your idea of a carpeted support plank, I've got some salvage lumber I can use. I'll thru-bolt it to the T-extender (which is pretty sturdy, it's designed for hauling lumber).

I've read the legalese and from my interpretation I'll be OK with the trailer lights mounted on the rear of the boat, that part is already rigged because that's where I mount the lights when the boat is on the trailer... got tired of replacing salt-water ruined trailer lights.

With the boat extending so far behind the back axle, the bow of the boat will swing out in the opposite direction to the turn of the truck.
    This could be a problem maneuvering in confined areas or say turning left on a 4 lane road, the bow is liable to sweep across the inner lane or the sidewalk on a narrower road.

Might also be an effect on steering up front, what with whatever overhanging weight’s behind the rear wheels. 200 pounds on the tailgate or trailer hitch doesn’t ride like 200 pounds seven or eight feet farther back.

With lights at the back I'd think legalities would be covered. While I realize the support is fairly rugged, I can't help but wish for an extra line run from the top of the stem to something higher & rugged on the bed cap. Of course I don't know how much the boat weighs.

I realize it's only one state (Massachusetts), but a few years back I carried a 36 ft. I-beam 200 miles on a 24 ft OAL trailer. I had it blocked up so it extended over the bed of the pickup, but it still stuck out 8 ft. past the end of the trailer. I put a light bar at the end of the beam. I was stopped by the side of the road checking my chain binders & straps (I really did not want it going anywhere!) & a state trooper pulled over. He asked if all was OK & I told him that I was just checking that it was good & he went on to tell me that the light setup at the end of the beam was "pretty fancy" & that a red flag would've been enough to be legal. When I told him that I wanted to protect myself from the idiots on the road he laughed & agreed.

The "moral" of that story (at least to me) is that if you make it look carefully thought out, the happier any police will be.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Pas problem

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Pas problem
    boat-tail pickup
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

If this were my rig, the main problem would be backing into stuff at the gas station, etc. And you'll have to turn the thing like it's a school bus with fifteen feet sticking out past the rear wheels.

Otherwise, I agree with the "better cradle for the bow comments," as you obviously have the lighting covered.

I have one of those hitch-mounted extension systems which can be pieced together vertically like a rear car-top carrier bar, or used as shown as a length extension. The one thing that made it work a heck of a lot better was adding a hitch stabilizer to greatly reduce noise and eliminate wobble, as the extension is long enough that a little wobble at the hitch ends up being pretty substantial at the business end. I now use this stabilizer any time I'm using the trailer hitch and really appreciate the drastic reduction in hitch noise when trailering. If you trailer much, this gizmo may be the best nine bucks you can spend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

f.jpg

Over in the Designs/Plans forum there is a thread "First Build, car toppable" that had some links to youtube videos of angled ramps with pegs sticking up, that people have built to walk their boat up onto the roof rack. I put one of those together last night from lumber I had laying around and found it was pretty easy to get the boat up onto the roof of the truck so I'll do that for cross country trip and just use the T-extender for going to and from the launch ramp.

Over 4 feet from the bumper needs a red flag during daylight and lights w/turnsignals after sunset. It is barely over 4 feet from the back of the open tailgate, no?
    Pshaw, I think it's fine, plenty of cartopped canoes are over that...

14' boat, 8' of which is outside the bed of the truck
    That's a good bit over four feet.

I think the hitch extension is legally part of the truck. We used to build log trucks with adjustable stingers that were maybe 10-12 feet long, they were part of the truck.

One of the great axioms that has kept me out of trouble (mostly) over the years: If it seems wrong, it probably is.

Jeff

California law says you are fine
    Proper lights will be the key to success

"Per CVC Section 35410, the load upon a vehicle, trailer or semitrailer shall not extend to the rear beyond the last point of support for a greater distance than that equal to two-thirds of the length of the wheelbase. The wheelbase of a semitrailer shall be considered as the distance between the rearmost axle of the towing vehicle and the rearmost axle of the semitrailer."

Yeah, you can tell that to the cop who pulls you over because legal or not, it looks pretty sketchy and potentially dangerous to most rational folks.