Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 77

Thread: Here is something that will blow some minds here

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cantão - Brazil
    Posts
    14,962

    Default Here is something that will blow some minds here

    This one is for all the folks who think homophobia is a cultural, Western, Judeo-Christian thing:

    woke.jpg

    When you are done digesting that, read through this:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_r...y_or_territory

    and then tell us again how homophobia it is not a universal human problem.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    53,801

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Well, most ex colonial African states are Judo Christian, thanks to all of those busy body missionaries.
    Nigerian Anglicans are amongst some of the most regressive of the lot.
    As a scientist, why do you refuse to accept evidence that falsifies your hypothesis?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    59,244

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    What does the green signify in China?
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 06-16-2021 at 04:07 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK. Cornwall, Suffolk.
    Posts
    7,964

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    I have zero interest where people chose to put their parts. If certain nations chose to deny who we are as a species that is just pandering to dogma in order to glean power.
    I notice however from your map that it is mostly those countries that at least attempt democracy and civil rights that allow civil same sex marriages. So what's your point?

    Rusdia and most of Africa are Judeo Christian.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ct.
    Posts
    2,531

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    What does the green signify in China?
    Sorry, that's a CCP secret, like the origins of the virus.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    35,026

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    I have zero interest where people chose to put their parts.
    Agreed, although I assume that most or all of us would become militant where a child is concerned and probably many or most of us have a low opinion of adultery. As for consenting adults, I'm surprised it's still an issue in some American communities.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

    "Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    53,801

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Agreed, although I assume that most or all of us would become militant where a child is concerned and probably many or most of us have a low opinion of adultery.
    Different issues to George's hobby-horse.
    One is about preventing harm to the powerless.
    The other is about dishonesty - lying - deceit, and causing suffering.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulgong. Central west N.S.W. Australia
    Posts
    4,764

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    As for consenting adults, I'm surprised it's still an issue in some American communities.
    I think adultery breaches one of the three commandments, which work alongside the two constitutional amendments- the second and the fifth. The south won the war and trump won the election. That's all you need to know JayInOz

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Do you have a warrant?
    Posts
    10,322

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    The dark blues are good, but it should be remembered, very recent.

    I was hoping for greater reforms in the Catholic church under Francis, at the very least the beginning of examination for abolishing priest celibacy and recognizing gay rights, but his recent statements have been disappointing so I no longer hold out hope. Not that I'm a member. Just concerned for the emotional wellness of all human beings.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    53,801

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    The dark blues are good, but it should be remembered, very recent.

    I was hoping for greater reforms in the Catholic church under Francis, at the very least the beginning of examination for abolishing priest celibacy and recognizing gay rights, but his recent statements have been disappointing so I no longer hold out hope. Not that I'm a member. Just concerned for the emotional wellness of all human beings.
    It took them hundreds of years to apologise to Galileo, so give them time.
    They do accept gays into the priesthood, providing that they keep their junk to themselves.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    35,026

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    I think adultery breaches one of the three commandments, which work alongside the two constitutional amendments- the second and the fifth. The south won the war and trump won the election. That's all you need to know JayInOz
    Adultery offends me. The simple truth is I hate liars and cheats while adulterers are both.

    As for gay marriage or whatever single people or transexuals, I can't imagine why I should care? It's none of my business.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

    "Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    downward bound
    Posts
    8,307

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Sorry, that's a CCP secret, like the origins of the virus.
    PRC restrictions on homosexuality aren’t a secret. Like Republicans, the party is scared of gays, minorities, anyone thinking for themselves and not worshipping a fat puppet.

    ROC is the first country in Asia to legalize gay marriage

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2
    Posts
    13,656

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Rusdia and most of Africa are Judeo Christian.
    Well, not quite for purposes of this discussion. Look at the original map and this one, and see how the colors are correlated.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    36,957

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Poland is a lot worse than that map indicates
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    61,922

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    nope, not blown.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cantão - Brazil
    Posts
    14,962

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Well, most ex colonial African states are Judo Christian, thanks to all of those busy body missionaries.
    Nigerian Anglicans are amongst some of the most regressive of the lot.
    As a scientist, why do you refuse to accept evidence that falsifies your hypothesis?
    As a scientists, I would have to know whether being regressive correlates with being Anglican or with being Nigerian.

    For example, what do non-Anglican Nigerians think of homosexuality? How about non-African Anglicans?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cantão - Brazil
    Posts
    14,962

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    I notice however from your map that it is mostly those countries that at least attempt democracy and civil rights that allow civil same sex marriages. So what's your point?
    That homophobia is a primitive instinct found across cultures, and requires the spread of liberal humanism and respect for the individual to overcome as a society.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    53,801

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    That homophobia is a primitive instinct found across cultures, and requires the spread of liberal humanism and respect for the individual to overcome as a society.
    So why do ancient cultures like the Greeks and isolated cultures that have not been exposed to Christian missionaries have no innate aversion to same sex sex?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    53,801

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    As a scientists, I would have to know whether being regressive correlates with being Anglican or with being Nigerian.

    For example, what do non-Anglican Nigerians think of homosexuality? How about non-African Anglicans?
    British Anglicans are extremely tolerant, with a few outliers. Read my previous posts.
    Any non-Anglican Africans are drowned out by the African Anglican Synod, so I have no data.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cantão - Brazil
    Posts
    14,962

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    So why do ancient cultures like the Greeks and isolated cultures that have not been exposed to Christian missionaries have no innate aversion to same sex sex?
    For the same reason that some isolated cultures have no aversion to cannibalism. Try to convince us that that aversion is not innate.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cantão - Brazil
    Posts
    14,962

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Any non-Anglican Africans are drowned out by the African Anglican Synod...
    You have never been to Africa, have you?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    53,801

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    You have never been to Africa, have you?
    I do watch the news, though.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    53,801

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    For the same reason that some isolated cultures have no aversion to cannibalism. Try to convince us that that aversion is not innate.
    I have given you evidence that falsifies your hypothesis. So bring evidence that refutes the new data, tests it and finds it wanting.

    The debate that you quoted is a philosophical argument, based on a limited data set, that appears to have had no testing or discussion of contrary evidence. So it is Aristotelian philosophy, not science.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cantão - Brazil
    Posts
    14,962

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    The debate that you quoted is a philosophical argument, based on a limited data set, that appears to have had no testing or discussion of contrary evidence. So it is Aristotelian philosophy, not science.
    Sorry, it is science. An aversion to cannibalism is innate in predatory mammals, for a very good reason: if you eat your own kind you are far more likely to catch diseases or parasites. We are programmed to find the smell and taste of human flesh disgusting, and it takes a lot of cultural baggage to overcome it - and even then it's mostly only done for ritual purposes.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    59,244

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    So why do ancient cultures like the Greeks and isolated cultures that have not been exposed to Christian missionaries have no innate aversion to same sex sex?
    Most do, to one degree or another. Two large examples; the Aztecs and the other pre-conquest Mexican cultures for which there are records, as far as we can tell, would kill homosexuals, although there's some thought that the reports could have been influenced by later Christianity. They certainly weren't averse to killing people. The Incas, not so violent, but certainly not accepting.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    22,756

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    We are examining this topic, as we do so many, through the lens of our own western, first-world, basically Judeo-Christian lens.

    But, in fact, there are cultures that neither decry nor support homosexuality: they don't consider it at all! They have no word for it and don't understand what we silly colonizers mean when we bring it up.

    Example: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-exist/265849/

    Kevin
    Last edited by Breakaway; 06-17-2021 at 07:36 AM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    53,801

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Sorry, it is science. An aversion to cannibalism is innate in predatory mammals, for a very good reason: if you eat your own kind you are far more likely to catch diseases or parasites. We are programmed to find the smell and taste of human flesh disgusting, and it takes a lot of cultural baggage to overcome it - and even then it's mostly only done for ritual purposes.
    Shifting your ground much?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    53,801

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Most do, to one degree or another. Two large examples; the Aztecs and the other pre-conquest Mexican cultures for which there are records, as far as we can tell, would kill homosexuals, although there's some thought that the reports could have been influenced by later Christianity. They certainly weren't averse to killing people. The Incas, not so violent, but certainly not accepting.
    They killed everybody. They were careful to take prisoners alive when at war so that they could kill them in interesting ways in their temples.

    That is not evidence of a hard wired aversion to gay sex, but of the perversion that religion and creation myths can lead to.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norwich,United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,360

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    I do wonder why this particular topic has cropped up so prominently this week.Is there somebody struggling to come to terms with either acknowledging or telling us something?

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cantão - Brazil
    Posts
    14,962

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Bump for Peerie... he is going to explain how laws making any homosexual activity illegal are not evidence of societal homophobia...

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    53,801

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Bump for Peerie... he is going to explain how laws making any homosexual activity illegal are not evidence of societal homophobia...
    Non sequitur.
    You are shifting your ground again from all societies are homophobic to some are, so others are not.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cantão - Brazil
    Posts
    14,962

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    No, Peerie.

    What I have been saying from the start is that heterosexuals feel an instinctive aversion to homosexual contact. This is innate and occurs in all cultures. Some cultures potentialise that into homophobia of varying degrees. Others don't. In human history and in the world today, most do to some degree.

    Just to
    make sure you understand: "aversion to homosexual contact" means aversion to participating in same-sex intimate contact. "Homophobia" is aversion to other people because of their private lives.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Farmington, Oregon
    Posts
    16,762

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    nope, not blown.
    same

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Farmington, Oregon
    Posts
    16,762

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Just to [/COLOR]make sure you understand: "aversion to homosexual contact" means aversion to participating in same-sex intimate contact. "Homophobia" is aversion to other people because of their private lives.
    remember when you linked a blog post titled "natural homophobes?"

    oh whither evolutionary psychology. the basic science!

    but now we set aside completely any reaction to others' sexual behavior. we are down to the individual aversion to practicing gay sex, as the "innate" source of... reaction to other's sexual behavior. just so we understand.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cantão - Brazil
    Posts
    14,962

    Default Re: Here is something that will blow some minds here

    Yes, L.W. I think you finally got it. It has always been about that. Go back and read the original thread. Bump it if you like.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •