Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fading Mental Acuity: age related

Default Re: Fading Mental Acuity: age related

I occasionally grope for words I know buy that and my inability to remember names is not a new phenomena. My teacher wife, who remembered 600 kids names every year, say's it's because i never lerned how as a child. I went to a 12/15 kid bush primary school, and then Avery large high school, where I never bothered to learn the names of my classmates.
    Nevertheless as I gradually reduce the contents of my shed I am consciously preparing for a possible/probable decline in my mental an physical capacity as I get older. Such is life.

I am downsizing my fleet. I just put Tortuga up for sale. The reason is physical decline. Spring work this year had me in pain from early April until last week. I am finding it harder and harder to do the work required to keep the boat in good condition. So, it is time to pass it on to someone else.

As far as mental aucity goes, I find it hard to remember names, but I have never been good at names. When I was teaching I made a point of not learning names in my lower division classes. It made it easier to be fair in grading until I started learning the students by their student numbers. I periodically test myself by completing complex tasks. Last winter I decided to write a program to determine optimum propeller pitch for displacement hulls. It came out quite nicely even though I wrote it in Python which I had never used before. My wife does similar things. For example she has been working at learning Japanese for the last couple of years. She has a leg up though since her Ph.D. was joint in comp lit and linguistics.
    Last edited by Todd D; 06-16-2021 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    I am downsizing my fleet. I just put Tortuga up for sale. The reason is physical decline. Spring work this year had me in pain from early April until last week. I am finding it harder and harder to do the work required to keep the boat in good condition. So, it is time to pass it on to someone else.

As far as mental aucity goes, I find it hard to remember names, but I have never been good at names. When I was teaching I made a point of not learning names in my lower division classes. It made it easier to be fair in grading until I started learning the students by their student numbers. I periodically test myself by completing complex tasks. Last winter I decided to write a program to determine optimum propeller pitch for displacement hulls. It came out quite nicely even though I wrote it in Python which I had never used before. My wife does similar things. For example she has been working at learning Japanese for the last couple of years. She has a leg up though since her Ph.D. was joint in comp lit and linguistics.
    My best friend did the Japanese thing for the same reason. He also took up chess for that reason. Seems to be working well for him... but hard to tell. He was always crazy. Look at the friends he chooses <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I've been plagued all my life with absent-mindedness. It was at its worst when I was in high school. I think it's stress-related (I graduated with high school credit from five different schools, so that was a stressful time for me.) It makes me wonder, when I go senile, will those who have known me all my life be able to tell?

My mother experienced a slow decline for 15 years. At the end (80) she hardly recognized her children.
    I’m 82 and my sisters are 75 and 72. They’re lookin’ at me. Names have always been a problem and it’s a bit worse now.
    I read that if you can’t remember where you put your keys that’s ok but if your keys are in your hand and you don’t know what to do with them that’s not so good.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Haven't seen anything on this yet; but a competitor, aduhelm, just got the 'go' from the FDA - despite equivocal findings of benefit in studies, the opposition of their entire advisory board, and a $56K/year cost. I believe 3 of their advisors resigned over it. I'm mystified as to 'why' they did this.
    Definitely not their finest hour. Its weird.

Seems like a lot of blather over nothing.

Of course, I would say that, or something like itif my brain is slowly turning into Cheese Whizz...

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    Seems like a lot of blather over nothing.

Of course, I would say that, or something like it—if my brain is slowly turning into Cheese Whizz...

Jeff C
    The problem comes when, no matter how much you shake it & warm it up, no more will come out.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Actually, I think this is that. It's a really, really hard conversation to have, but I sure hope that someone has the courage to have such a conversation with me, when it's time.

And considering that, it's an act of kindness to reach out to someone else, who's showing such signs. Not all acts of kindness are sunshine and roses; arguably some of the most important ones really aren't.
    Except this isn’t reaching out to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    The problem comes when, no matter how much you shake it & warm it up, no more will come out.
    Ha! Exactly!

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Miller View Post
    My mother experienced a slow decline for 15 years. At the end (80) she hardly recognized her children.
    I’m 82 and my sisters are 75 and 72. They’re lookin’ at me. Names have always been a problem and it’s a bit worse now.
    I read that if you can’t remember where you put your keys that’s ok but if your keys are in your hand and you don’t know what to do with them that’s not so good.
    My dads slow decline started around 80 but he recognized me just fine up until the last couple years at 92. My brother who is four years older than me was diagnosed with Lewes Body dementia a few years ago. Likewise names have always been a problem for me but my short term memory took a dive about five years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    bose sunglases? You can almost make out what is said around you.
    Free association can be a dangerous thing.

Rattling the teacups.

I was born in Tulsa, so I don't pressure myself with high expectations.lol. Last year at this time, I stopped remembering short term things. Scared me. I took some off brand vitamin memory supplements. I could come up with names of actors on old movies and tv shows after a couple weeks, probably better than I could ten years earlier, but I didn't have normal focus for awhile. I watched some videos about Alzheimers vs. normal senior moments. I didn't have any emotional changes, just less drive. Exercise seem to help. Later I heard about " Covid brain" memory loss.
    "Deconstruction is not a method, and cannot be transformed into one" Jacques Derrida (19302004)

I thought this might be a topic that was uncomfortable for some. And so it is.

But I also thought it might be so uncomfortable as to inspire some attacks. But other than Pless' initial weirdness not much in that vein. I'm happy to see it. For the elders - and those approaching elder status among us - I think it's a topic worth looking at. We watched my sweetie's mother go thru a 16 year process, and the process is definitely NOT an easy one to navigate. Eventually, it became impossible to keep her here at home. But the expert advice we always got was that the earlier one noticed a decline the better. Part of what made the transition better than it might have been was knowing the next step and having something lined up... even as we put it off as long as possible.

I also hope the thread inspires us all to talk with our families about the topic long before it becomes a crisis.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Following
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

We collectively forgot to mention one of our patron saints of the revival of wooden boat building in America. I do not have the design gene. I did not grow up in the era he did and I do not organize or arrange my environment aesthetically or to improve function. I imagine it contributed to his unwillingness to allow his further deterioration.

BOAT CREATOR PHIL BOLGER’S SUICIDE IS ‘PART OF HIS NARRATIVE,’ WIFE SAYS
    https://www.savingseafood.org/other-...ive-wife-says/

"Thirty-one years Bolger's junior and his wife for 15 years, the German born-Altenburger described Bolger as "an independent, unorthodox, free spirit as reflected in his work. "In his family ran certain health issues — aging and losing faculties — he was alert for not hanging in there if it were not a good thing," she said"

https://www.luvmyboat.com/news/death...-may-2009/255/
    "Deconstruction is not a method, and cannot be transformed into one" Jacques Derrida (19302004)

Worth noting.

A man who knew he was genetically inclined, kept a lookout, had a plan, and the resolve to act upon it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

My former partner was dxed with Lewy body dementia a year or so ago; he's been to the WFMC, but he knows the medicine extremely well, and prognosis. Depressive symptoms, better now that they're addressed. I don't know that he has 'a plan' - but a brother did, though for other pathology. It's damn tough.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

My former partner was dxed with Lewy body dementia a year or so ago; he's been to the WFMC, but he knows the medicine extremely well, and prognosis. Depressive symptoms, better now that they're addressed. I don't know that he has 'a plan' - but a brother did, though for other pathology. It's damn tough.
    I pray I'm never in that situation.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

Cognitive decline starts at a relatively young age ( late 20's see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2683339/ ) and is a natural process, nothing to worry about! Training like Programming, Chess, Japanese language lessons, Wooden Boatbuilding etc. and a healthy lifestyle ( not too much booze) can keep you at an acceptable level.
    It's the pathological decline that's frightening, but if you are really worried, there are some tests you can do to check if there's a cognitive problem, for instance MMSE (mini mental state examination) or MOGA ( Montreal cognitive assessment). Just Google and you will find them. Usually the results will calm you down.

Cumin on the fried eggs instead of cayenne.

50/50 whether it’s cognitive decline or poor eyesight.

Yuck

My brother was diagnosed two years ago with LBD but there were changes a few years before. It has been very hard on his wife. When I visited him everything seemed kind of normal and then it was obvious it wasn’t. Paranoid delusions, etc. Like Alzheimers but worse.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
    Boy Howdy
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I’m thinking of lifting weights. Not that I’m going to do it just thinking about it.

Your brain might get bigger.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Your brain might get bigger.
    Oh dear... another swelled head in the bilge... <sigh>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks