Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fading Mental Acuity: age related

Default Fading Mental Acuity: age related

The recent poofing of posts from one of our fellow Bilge Rats brings to a head suspicions that have been lurking for a while. I get the impression that there are several among us who have been exhiiting declining mental acuity in our various discussions.

I know it's not a comfortable topic. Nor is it an phenomenon that has obvious and clearly unmistakable markers.

So I raise the issue to bring it out into the open. I'm not sure, personally, how to handle it. In past instances, I've responded various ways. Impatience, or a higher level of patience. Ridicule and more gentility. Ignoring incoherence or challenging it.

If y'all have any thoughts, I'd welcome hearing them. Also... it is common that such gradual incapacity leaves the person suffering from it in the dark. Because it happens slowly, and because it degrades one's ability to discern. So... I say clearly... if you notice such signs from me... feel free to mention it. Raise the possibility. I'll try not to take umbrage. Though if you do so just to be hateful or disagreeable - dishonestly, iow - I might fire back.

So... is this too touchy? Will it sink like a stone? Or are we ready to talk about it?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Fading Mental Acuity: age related

a cry for help?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

My ability to bring names and sometimes words to mind has always plagued me, but it has gotten worse.

Thankfully, I can still spin the logic, but it does scare me.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

It's tough.

I've thought I've seen such markers in the past re some companions here, a few times - but working through the filter of a screen, it's really tough. Capacity at a keyboard and capacity in face-to-face conversations differ, eh? And frankly, the last few years have instructed us how it's possible for people of otherwise sound mind to get warped somewhat through algorithmic messes in the "facts" one's presented for consumption. I've a few folks in my circle who, while otherwise in great mental shape, have frankly had their brains hacked by some social media BS.

It's also quite possible to conflate or confuse irritability with decline, not least because the two often correlate.

As David said, if you see symptoms in me, please blip me. Preferably first via PM, but whatever...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    a cry for help?
    You're NOT that old... but if it is, just say so right out loud. You KNOW you have friends here <G>

But if your discomfort with the topic would be lessened by focusing on me... I'll answer seriously.

I try and monitor my own age-related issues - be they physical or mental. The physical is easy and obvious. For the mental, I have the requested help of my sweetie and my kids... one of whom is an RN with some geriatric training. And, being my kids, I'm fairly sure they won't be shy about mentioning any degradation they notice.

What I myself notice... is that my thinking is more ponderous. I am less capable of beautiful, elegant, and effective snap decisions.

Hope that's helpful. If not for Pless... for someone else.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Are you just picking on me today?
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

To be fair, I've got it in the genes ... so I am on the lookout. When Dad was only about 5 years older than I am now, he started to show signs of early dementia. Which first showed up in him in terms of speech and vocab - tough in a guy who'd made his living by communicating.

On the other side of the family, the genes are different ... here's hoping I've some of my Great Grandfather in me, in such respects. Still practicing law at 96, a couple of afternoons each week, which arguably is a different type of crazy.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    I wasn't thinking of you at all, at all. I was discussing those of us NOT from Okie-homer. Yanno... the ones who STARTED with some mental acuity!!! <G>

Tulsy, my friend, I know you are suffering from some of these issues, but I wasn't aiming the OP at you. Your lingering disability and lung damage (courtesy of the U.S. military) has resulted in too little oxygen getting to your brain. Them's just the biological facts. Ain't nothing much you or me or the medicos can do about it. And, being aware of it yourself, you don't spout off as if you still had the brain of a 25-year-old and then act surprised when it comes out badly.

I have no question about how to respond to you. I love you, know you, and love this i'net friendship that we've weirdly managed to foster. So I know the correct thing to do is to tease and harass and insult you <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Thank you David, and I mean that.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

I'm 68 years old and think that my brain is still hitting on all cylinders.
    I think that I'm as sharp as I was 30 years ago, but then again, I readily admit that I was
    never the sharpest knife in the drawer to begin with.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Some might argue that posting here is, in and of itself, prima faciae evidence of reduced mental acuity, innate or acquired.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    ..."there are several among us"...

Oh, please spare me your faux concern about my rampant mental decline, David...
    I don't mind if you use my name.
    I'm sure Bobby and Fred and Kevin feel the same.
    Last edited by Glen Longino; 06-16-2021 at 01:24 PM.

Can we combine this with a discussion of fading mental acuity: drunk related?

And seriously, we all start with different horsepower, temperament, and vastly different training, cultures, and life lessons. To say this in your language, you are probably confusing a lack of intensity or clarity in contentious discussions with a lack of sufficient interest in whatever horse has already been beaten to death. Easy egocentric mistake to make if you don’t think it through thoroughly. Try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Longino View Post

Oh, please spare me your faux concern about my rampant mental decline...
    Who?

Rattling the teacups.

Huh? Who are you guys & get off my lawn!

For sure everyone slows down with age. Some more than others, but we all do it. I have to wonder if the plague year hasn't had a greater impact than many might think. Communication during this time has changed hugely - with far less in-person time than previously & I have to believe that's an issue. Then we add to that the polarization of our world (maybe more in the US than other places, but present everywhere) & the increase in the number of information & opinion sources (including conflation of the 2) & I think we end up with a stew that is toxic - once again, more so for some than others.

I also think that the Bilge (we are talking about the Bilge here, right?) has become far more political than it once was. Sure, it's always been political to an extent, but far more so leading up to 2016 & continuing to the present than before.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Longino View Post

Oh, please spare me your faux concern about my rampant mental decline, David...
    I know you're being flip, but I chose not to mention names deliberately.

As far as I can tell, you're holding up pretty danged well for a geezer who regularly bakes his brain in the Texas sun. 'Mad dogs and Texans...' and all that

But if you, or anyone, chooses to discuss their personal situation by way of illustration or community, great. The thread however, is about the phenomenon, rather than making any particular individual uncomfortable. Except for Pless, of course. I'd likely have mentioned his name eventually (how could we not???)... but didn't have to. He issued his own 'cry for help' <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

One cannot generally, hack one's own mind.

Interesting, 73 myself and getting more fridge moments.. Plus more time looking for tools than I used to, especially if I have just used them..

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post

And seriously, we all start with different horsepower, temperament, and vastly different training, cultures, and life lessons. To say this in your language, you are probably confusing a lack of intensity or clarity in contentious discussions with a lack of sufficient interest in whatever horse has already been beaten to death. Easy egocentric mistake to make if you don’t think it through thoroughly. Try harder.
    We've had some of that in the past. And it was occasionally pointed out. There may still be some, but I've not got my radar tuned that direction. There's another phenomenon we could also discuss. It seems that there are some BilgeRats whose lives seem to be turning difficult in some way... and it is showing up here in posts that are more combative, personal, cynical, curt, snarky, bitter, and ugly. But those are both separate issues and thread topics. Feel free to go there if you are so inclined.

As for you second paragraph... I think maybe you've missed the point. It's not about rhetorical excellence, or knowledge-base, or depth of interest. It's regarding a noticeable shift/decline among some of us. And it's about confirming or denying that perception. And it's about discussing - as a group - good ways to handle such cases. The hivemind and all that. ETA - if you felt personally attack by the OP in some way, I sincerely apologize and assure you that was not my intent.
    Last edited by David G; 06-16-2021 at 02:01 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Lilly's donanemab slowed Alzheimer's disease progression in Phase 2 trial: full data presented at AD/PD™ 2021 and published in NEJM

March 13, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Not to mention TWS.

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Not to mention TWS.
    TWS? Help me here, my acuity's failing.

Twit Writer Syndrome? Too White, Sh#thead? Terribly Wrong Slang?

Typical Woman Syndrome????(a misogynistic term)

Quote Originally Posted by sonofswen View Post
    Lilly's donanemab slowed Alzheimer's disease progression in Phase 2 trial: full data presented at AD/PD™ 2021 and published in NEJM

March 13, 2021

Haven't seen anything on this yet; but a competitor, aduhelm, just got the 'go' from the FDA - despite equivocal findings of benefit in studies, the opposition of their entire advisory board, and a $56K/year cost. I believe 3 of their advisors resigned over it. I'm mystified as to 'why' they did this.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Not to mention TWS.
    total wireless stereo
    via bluetooth earbuds???

It can be more than just old age.

For example if one of us has had 3 strokes it may have impaired his mental capabilities (and his ability to work).
    I personally use the free version of Grammarly when I can, not sure it works on this board.

Russell

This thread is likely to create some self-doubts in some, myself included, so it is worth reminding everyone that doctors say "Dementia is not forgetting where you left your car keys. Dementia is forgetting what your car keys are for."

Simple forgetfulness is a part of aging, but it does not mean you can't function in the world. The real trouble starts when you can't remember what you need to do when you try.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

total wireless stereo
    via bluetooth earbuds???
    Or typing while stoned.

Several here show symptoms at times.

****, i do that all the time

****, i do that all the time
    No sh!t, bro!

total wireless stereo
    via bluetooth earbuds???
    bose sunglases? You can almost make out what is said around you.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

those were pretty cool

So I raise the issue to bring it out into the open. I'm not sure, personally, how to handle it. In past instances, I've responded various ways. Impatience, or a higher level of patience. Ridicule and more gentility. Ignoring incoherence or challenging it.
    Sounds like a problem you see others afflicted with. How about the Golden Rule?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Sounds like a problem you see others afflicted with. How about the Golden Rule?
    Actually, I think this is that. It's a really, really hard conversation to have, but I sure hope that someone has the courage to have such a conversation with me, when it's time.

And considering that, it's an act of kindness to reach out to someone else, who's showing such signs. Not all acts of kindness are sunshine and roses; arguably some of the most important ones really aren't.

And I'd add - your 'help' won't necessarily be appreciated. But should do it, anyway.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....