Thread: 2021 Singlehanded Transpac

Default 2021 Singlehanded Transpac

199205418_5613664565341238_7948363085158524491_n.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 7.05.39 AM.jpg

https://www.sfbaysss.org/main/
    The Singlehanded Sailing Society puts on the Singlehanded TransPac race every two years, ever since the first race, way back in 1978. Since then, more people have made it to outer space than have raced singlehanded from San Francisco to Hawaii. But, if you like to sail by yourself, paradoxically, you’re still in good company. As Greg Morris, a five time racer, so aptly put it after completing the 1998 race on a Moore 24, “The TransPac is a Buglight for Weirdos with Boats.” These Weirdos will likely turn in to some of your best friends.

The race is open to ocean-going boats and skippers. This is not an event catering to the latest and greatest go-fast machines, but rather attracts the adventurous skippers (a.k.a. Weirdos) that want to test themselves out on the Big Blue, and do it in the boats they already own. It’s a long way from here to there. Singlehanding doesn’t make the race any easier; every skipper is navigating, cooking, sailing hard, all the while fixing what breaks along the way, but as long as you and your boat meet the safety requirements, you are set. No foils needed.

Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: 2021 Singlehanded Transpac

I am still working on my wife but to take a timber boat on a Transpac, a dream of mine. It would be the first woodie in a long time to do so.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Your old Mull 30 is a great boat. Yes it is, and with the right upgrades, capable of making the trip.

But why is it that no woodie has gone for about 30 years? I ask in light of the current discussion in the Bilge.
    There's a REASON.

I never could get my head around the organisers calling this a "Trans Pacific" race, its only about a third of the way across the Pacific. But that said it would be a fun rae to participate in, wooden boat or whatever.
    There are some pretty good Mini Transats available now that foiling has taken over all the top slots.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.