Thread: Hey Brits

Default Hey Brits

we're watching a show called "Whitstable Pearl". A lead character just used the phrase, "More DFL smart arsery".

Translate please.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Default Re: Hey Brits

We're watching Downton Abbey, and run into the same thing. Usually, when my sweetie says, 'what', I can translate... but not always. I should jot them down and ask the brainiacs here!! Brilliant!!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

In this case they'd be Britiacs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    we're watching a show called "Whitstable Pearl". A lead character just used the phrase, "More DFL smart arsery".

Translate please.
    "Down from London?"

Whitstable being 6o miles south east of London they would say "Down From London", Up here in Norfolk 139 miles North east from London We'd say "Up from London".

Though for historical reasons all trains from any direction are up to London and Down from London.

Londoners who often have second homes on the coasts, have a reputation for thinking they are smarter than everyone else and "flashing the cash". In the District of North Norfolk (population 102,000) where I live, between 10 and 20% of all houses are now owned by second homers mostly from London and in some villages that tops 90%.
    The busiest times on the roads round here are Friday evenings and early Monday mornings as they commute from / to the smoke.

Note, North Norfolk, in size, is about 40miles along the coast and 10 miles deep in from the coast.
    Last edited by The Q; 06-16-2021 at 02:00 AM.
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Whitstable being 6o miles south east of London they would say "Down From London", Up here in Norfolk 139 miles North east from London We'd say "Up from London".

Though for historical reasons all trains from any direction are up to London and Down from London.

Londoners who often have second homes on the coasts, have a reputation for thinking they are smarter than everyone else and "flashing the cash". In the District of North Norfolk (population 102,000) where I live, between 10 and 20% of all houses are now owned by second homers mostly from London and in some villages that tops 90%.
    The busiest times on the roads round here are Friday evenings and early Monday mornings as they commute from / to the smoke.

Note, North Norfolk, in size, is about 40miles along the coast and 10 miles deep in from the coast.
    In Kiwi slang, the equivalent is JAFA, where Auckland's inhabitants with that big city attitude take the place of Londoners.
    Short for just another f*****g Aucklander.

Pete

A bit more boat relates. A Yorkshire boatman taking out angling parties used the term WAFI as a yacht sailed straight at us on an otherwise deserted sea,
    Wind Assisted F'n Idiots.
    Here in Furness folk from away like me are Offcomers.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    A bit more boat relates. A Yorkshire boatman taking out angling parties used the term WAFI as a yacht sailed straight at us on an otherwise deserted sea,
    Wind Assisted F'n Idiots.
    Here in Furness folk from away like me are Offcomers.
    Yep on the Broads and in particular on the Broads forums they are known as WAFIs and MAFIs, Motor Assisted F Idiots.. Being the Broads with a huge motorboat Hire industry MAFIs outnumber WAFIs tremendously especially as most MAFIs don't even know the Broads regulations (similar to SOLAS / Colregs) exist let alone have ever read them..

Outsiders in Norfolk are "Furriners" even if from the next village...

Here in eastern Canada - Nova Scotia and Newfoundland in particular - the term for people whom have recently moved here or are just visiting is 'Come From Away' or CFA. Recently, in the popular scenic towns such as Lunenburg and Mahone Bay CFA's have been getting their knickers in a twist over being called CFA's, trying to tell us that it is a derogatory term (it is not). The successful Broadway show 'Come From Away' chronicling the arrival of 6,700 airline passengers in Gander, Newfoundland (pop. 11,000) after the attacks on the World Trade Centre in 2001 closed US airspace has made these bellyachers be quiet for a while, but I hear rumblings of the resurgence of their discontent recently. Delicate flowers...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Here, the equivalent term is: Citiot.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Similar to the general term "grockles" used for tourists over here.. Grockle was a childrens comic book character in the 1920s. A magical dragon, that used to wander around trying to help, but caused chaos..

The other term is "Emmets" which is I believe is a Cornish Language word for, ants...

Emmets or 'up country folk' in Cornwall. Grockles in Devon, but that mostly means sunburnt fatties stuffing their mouths with ice cream and cheese burgers on their Sommaoliday. Add knotted hanky on their heads and you get the full picture.

The brits have all manner of insulting collective nouns for those who live in the next county, even the next village. It's a pastime of ours being rude about one another, until we have a war, then we're all best friends.

The ministry for health, circa 1950 coined the abréviation NFN, which Mr Q may know something about.

Sweaty Socks (jocks), scouser, sheep shagger, flaky, Rynners, Paddies.. If its not a simple word, then long standing derogatory jokes will do to accomplish knowledge between two people of whom you both commonly dislike, and therefore make a bond between one another.

I imagine its the same the world over.

Someone could start a thread on this, indeed write a book.

Auslanders where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Emmets or 'up country folk' in Cornwall. Grockles in Devon, but that mostly means sunburnt fatties stuffing their mouths with ice cream and cheese burgers on their Sommaoliday. Add knotted hanky on their heads and you get the full picture.

The brits have all manner of insulting collective nouns for those who live in the next county, even the next village. It's a pastime of ours being rude about one another, until we have a war, then we're all best friends.

The ministry for health, circa 1950 coined the abréviation NFN, which Mr Q may know something about.

Sweaty Socks (jocks), scouser, sheep shagger, flaky, Rynners, Paddies.. If its not a simple word, then long standing derogatory jokes will do to accomplish knowledge between two people of whom you both commonly dislike, and therefore make a bond between one another.

I imagine its the same the world over.

Someone could start a thread on this, indeed write a book.
    People from rural Lancashire, even areas just on the edge of Liverpool, are called 'Wooly Backs' by Scousers.
    Up here in Scotland you are in 'Incomer' if you are from anywhere not local. 'White Settler' is also quite common, with 'Sassenach' being applied to those from England.
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

As a resident of Suffolk I will translate “NFN”: “Normal For Norfolk”.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

A merchant shipping one used in personnel department records was “PSM” and the converse “NPSM” - Not Passenger Ship Material”.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

'Jam* eater'. It's used (in Cumbria) by those in Workington about those in Whitehaven, about eight miles away. And by those in Whitehaven about those in Workington, curiously also about eight miles away.

* Jelly

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    , with 'Sassenach' being applied to those from England.
    Which is a tad ironic, as the Saxons settled a big chunk of what is now lowland Scotland.
    So the cat stranglers are insulting their fellow countrymen.

^ You know that, and I know that, but remember. there are people up here who think that haggis is something you can eat, and they praise it in verse,
    Also, this passes as some kind of sport...

Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

This is fascinating stuff? Saw an interview with Martin Clunes in which he said he agonized over Doc Martin details. They finally decided that a Lexus Saloon in Cornwall would scream, “I’m From London!”

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    In Kiwi slang, the equivalent is JAFA, where Auckland's inhabitants with that big city attitude take the place of Londoners.
    Short for just another f*****g Aucklander.

Pete
    London streets are paved with gold , are they not? The same is true for every halo city in a nation and so Auckland attracts people from the regions who want to live the share market /property speculating ,corporate banking etc lifestyle, or what they imagine it to be. Cafe dwellers.
    Every JAFA I've ever met comes from somewhere else, possibly the most successful in monetary terms is from Hokitika (as an example)
    Meanwhile, born and bred Aucklanders like me who grew up in a village in a town in a city can only watch on in disappointment tinged with horror as even that gets stripped by growth and population influx from Hawkes bay or Palmerton north or Invercargill or Christchurch. The super city smothers our community boards while they harvest giant ever growing revenue from ratepayers in order to fund extremist driven wish list projects.

I expect it's the same for born and bred New Yorkers or Londoners or or or.
    Last edited by John B; 06-16-2021 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Here in eastern Canada - Nova Scotia and Newfoundland in particular - the term for people whom have recently moved here or are just visiting is 'Come From Away' or CFA. Recently, in the popular scenic towns such as Lunenburg and Mahone Bay CFA's have been getting their knickers in a twist over being called CFA's, trying to tell us that it is a derogatory term (it is not). The successful Broadway show 'Come From Away' chronicling the arrival of 6,700 airline passengers in Gander, Newfoundland (pop. 11,000) after the attacks on the World Trade Centre in 2001 closed US airspace has made these bellyachers be quiet for a while, but I hear rumblings of the resurgence of their discontent recently. Delicate flowers...
    Here it's "flatlander". Definitely derogtory & the natives don't particularly care it you don't like it. Doesn't mean they won't be friendly - just that they know there's a difference.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Here we call them Fudgies. Occasionally that can deteriorate into Mother Fudgies...

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    People from rural Lancashire, even areas just on the edge of Liverpool, are called 'Wooly Backs' by Scousers.
    Up here in Scotland you are in 'Incomer' if you are from anywhere not local. 'White Settler' is also quite common, with 'Sassenach' being applied to those from England.
    However a true Gael will apply Sassenach to any non Gaidhlig speaker from the central south and east of Scotland which ethnically they could well be correct.

Here in Seattle, we just call them "Californians".

Used to be the first winter did them in, and the often tucked tail and headed back south for warmer, drier climes. Not so much any more.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    As a resident of Suffolk I will translate “NFN”: “Normal For Norfolk”.”.
    That says every thing.. you Suffukers live on the Dark side..

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Which is a tad ironic, as the Saxons settled a big chunk of what is now lowland Scotland.
    So the cat stranglers are insulting their fellow countrymen.
    They've lumped all Celts together in that map much of The Kingdom of Strathclyde was what would be called today Welsh speaking. The last known native Welsh speaker of the area died in the 15th century.. William Wallace meant William the Welshman..

They were still Britons speaking Cornish, a Celtic language similar to Welsh, in Cornwall at the time of the Danelaw.
    I am sure odd pockets remained in the Danelaw- there are two villages called Walesby.
    Plus a few called Inglesby for the Anglo Saxon speakers.
    Norse rule in Kintyre and the Scottish islands too.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    They were still Britons speaking Cornish, a Celtic language similar to Welsh, in Cornwall at the time of the Danelaw7 A lot later than that, the last Native speaker died in 1777.
    I am sure odd pockets remained in the Danelaw- there are two villages called Walesby. Every invading army has always been mostly men, even if women followed after everyone of English descent will have Welsh ancestors. "They're on the raid and they're over here" Welsh women beware..
    Plus a few called Inglesby for the Anglo Saxon speakers. Similar to Ingleston just to the west of Edinburgh.
    When they did genetic testing on Barra they found the O'Neils living there speaking the Gaidhlig were near pure Norse genetically..

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    London streets are paved with gold , are they not? The same is true for every halo city in a nation and so Auckland attracts people from the regions who want to live the share market /property speculating ,corporate banking etc lifestyle, or what they imagine it to be. Cafe dwellers.
    Every JAFA I've ever met comes from somewhere else, possibly the most successful in monetary terms is from Hokitika (as an example)
    Meanwhile, born and bred Aucklanders like me who grew up in a village in a town in a city can only watch on in disappointment tinged with horror as even that gets stripped by growth and population influx from Hawkes bay or Palmerton north or Invercargill or Christchurch. The super city smothers our community boards while they harvest giant ever growing revenue from ratepayers in order to fund extremist driven wish list projects.

I expect it's the same for born and bred New Yorkers or Londoners or or or.
    It was offered without prejudice . Net population growth, loss of community, urban sprawl destroying character areas, and ratepayer funded urban designers flying in the face of common sense is happening everywhere in the country, they're not just Auckland things. Bigger population, bigger opportunities, bigger problems all getting bigger exponentially faster - Auckland is just ahead of the curve.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    They were still Britons speaking Cornish, a Celtic language similar to Welsh, in Cornwall at the time of the Danelaw.
    I am sure odd pockets remained in the Danelaw- there are two villages called Walesby.
    Plus a few called Inglesby for the Anglo Saxon speakers.
    It was called the Danelaw because it was governed by a Danish royal line.
    When the Scandinavians were Viking and settling, the Danes settled the east coast, whilst the Norse went round north via Shetland and settled the Western Isles and the Irish Sea coasts. Somewhere in the middle of the Pennines there is a Norwegian style farmstead a short distance to the west of a Danish farmstead.
    Norse place names exist all down the Irish Sea coasts, Meols on the Wirral and two Scales in Furness to name but two. Grisebeck is from the Norse, as are all the Thwaits in Cumbria.
    An academic of languages, Dr Bill Rolinson, commented that the Cumbrian Marras could converse easily with the Old Norse speakers on Iceland when posted there during WWII

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Here in Seattle, we just call them "Californians".

Used to be the first winter did them in, and the often tucked tail and headed back south for warmer, drier climes. Not so much any more.
    When I was 19 and on my own getting to know other folks in transit in California it seemed that it only took living in California for three seasons for people to become native. Kinda hard to claim territorial identity when three generations back the population was 1% of what it is now.