Thread: fatty knees dinghy

Default fatty knees dinghy

Hi Folks,

I have a question about fatty knees dinghy: http://www.fattyknees.com/
    Does this cute little boat exist in plywood as plans?
    Does anyone have experience with these boats?
    I contacted the manufacturer some time ago but got no reply.

kind regards,
    Igor

Default Re: fatty knees dinghy

I don’t believe Lyle offered that as plans. I think i have seen lines before. It was fairly beamy and took a few iterarions untill Lyle was happy with it. Getting it right at different displacements when carrying people and supplies out to a boat. For a similar boat in pltwood lapstrake you’d be well served with an Oughtred Auk. Just couple of inches narrower. If you want the bermudan rig, there’s one shown on the Humble Bee (pram) plans. I looked at an Auk built at Lyme and it was a superb ‘burdensome’ hull shape. If I had to sail one accross the English Channel i’d expect to make it. That was 8ft, but theres a few different lengths to build it at. If you’re ok with a little extra length Wolstenholme coot is a really quick boat in light air.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 06-15-2021 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    I don’t believe Lyle offered that as plans. I think i have seen lines before. It was fairly beamy and took a few iterarions untill Lyle was happy with it. Getting it right at different displacements when carrying people and supplies out to a boat. For a similar boat in pltwood lapstrake you’d be well served with an Oughtred Auk. Just couple of inches narrower. If you want the bermudan rig, there’s one shown on the Humble Bee (pram) plans. I looked at an Auk built at Lyme and it was a superb ‘burdensome’ hull shape. If I had to sail one accross the English Channel i’d expect to make it. That was 8ft, but theres a few different lengths to build it at. If you’re ok with a little extra length Wolstenholme coot is a really quick boat in light air.
    Was about to say the same thing. The Auk is very close to the Fatty Knees.

https://www.woodenboatstore.com/coll...orn-dinghy-auk
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Edey & Duff were building the Fatty Knees Dinghy until they closed up. Don't know (if anybody) bought the molds after that.

Thanks for answers! I agree that the closest boat to fatty knees dinghy is Oughtred AUK