Thread: Help with Sail plan for a Van Dyne Crotch Island Pinky

Default Help with Sail plan for a Van Dyne Crotch Island Pinky

hi, I've recently come into possession of a Van Dyne Pinky that's missing the main sail... I've heard whispers that there may be copies of the original lines and sail plan out there and thought it would be worth posting to see if anyone could provide me with any guidance...
    Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Help with Sail plan for a Van Dyne Crotch Island Pinky

Van Dine built several sizes of pinkies. Which is yours? The Crotch Island or Tancook type? https://sailingtexas.com/201201/scrotchisland101.html
    https://www.popyachts.com/schooner-s...ew-york-139401
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Thanks, should have clarified… I have the 21’ crotch island version

Hi,
    With the spar dimensions you should be able to have a sail maker make one up for you. I'm sure there must be someone around your area that has traditional boat experience.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markns View Post
    Thanks, should have clarified… I have the 21’ crotch island version
    Chapelle's 'American Small Sailing Craft' shows a 19' CI pinky with a sail plan. Perhaps scaling from that could give you some help.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Check with Walter Flowers in Lunenburg, he may have a main from a Bush Island boat he had. Sail is the fore harvested from a schooner along with the rig.

markns,
    I got the following information from my friend George Surgent who also owns a Van Dine Crotch Island Pinky and used to work for Peter Van Dine.

"Here is a photo of the sail plan. Peter did not dimension his drawing. I have lifted the dimensions from the copy of the sail plan I have. Many of Van Dine's original drawings, including the Crotch Island Pinky are in the Calvert Marine Museum collection. They were donated and archived in the library by Mark a couple of years ago. Note: Peter recommended the sail be cut flat. Most sail makers cringe at this. My sails are cut flat and seem to perform as well as any spritsail."

Attached Images Attached Images