Thread: Gluing Ally

Default Gluing Ally

Just about to start on the mast, after delays. I was given an old mast with a nice brass sail track, but some misguided soul has decided to restore the boat it came off, so I gave it back.
    This leaves me without a track, so I bought some aluminium tube, with the intention of running down with the ally blade in the circular saw and making up slugs to run in that. (Finding track, not so easy here, and )

Plan is to route a semicircular groove in the mast and glue the tube in, then put fillets up the sides a bit. Tube is 14mm od and 10mm id and 6mt (20ft) long.

I will wet sand the tube with epoxy, then use thickened to fit it to the mast, but I have not tried wet sanding before and was wondering if there are any tips from the experienced on the forum?

Thanks
    A2

Oh, I do expect it to be a bit messy

Default Re: Gluing Ally

Make sure your slugs are not made from aluminum. Aluminum will not slide on itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    Make sure your slugs are not made from aluminum. Aluminum will not slide on itself.
    Thanks, figured that, was thinking of omega shaped 2mm wire set in graphite loaded epoxy. Not found ready made plastic slugs for 10mm tube (yet)

The question is really about prepping the tube to make sure the epoxy sticks. What grit of sandpaper?

What epoxy?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Another approach might be to bed the tube in the groove using compound or caulk. The tube could be drilled through the slot for screws.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    What epoxy?
    Good question.. I inheirited a 50 gal drum with assorted hardeners, but it was general purpose for laminating from a French outfit.
    Maybe get a specific one for ally, which would likely work for wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    Another approach might be to bed the tube in the groove using compound or caulk. The tube could be drilled through the slot for screws.
    That's how the brass track would have worked, but with a narrow slot in the tube, 3mm, into a 10mm recess, can't see the screws being easy to fit, or clearing the slugs.

The alternative in mind, would be to makeup an ss T track and screw it on, but the ally tube would be much neater. The mast is unstayed, but quite tapered towards the top, so ribands or lacing is not going to work. Don't fancy trying to route a track in the wood over 20ft, while a groove is easy.

Gflex is recommended for aluminum.
    It can also be cut with 105, and the appropriate hardener of course, for additional strength.
    Check out West Systems for details more than I can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    Gflex is recommended for aluminum.
    It can also be cut with 105, and the appropriate hardener of course, for additional strength.
    Check out West Systems for details more than I can provide.
    Not sure if I can get Gflex, but my local Resoltech agent maybe has something, if I can find him.. I actually have the Gougeron book, but wonder if someone has recent experience.

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    That has expanded my horizons a bit, Thank you.

I can understand the desired outcome,but it seems ambitious to expect a uniform glue fillet after feeding the tube into the mast section.Did you consider getting hold of the extrusion commonly used on camper vans for taking the boltrope of awnings?It usually pop rivets to the fixing surface.There was a time when Needlespar would have sold you a piece of their sail track extrusion but they stopped doing that a long time ago.Not sure if Z-spar ever made their track available,but it would serve admirably if you could find some.Now if you could just find a couple of 505 sailors who had a shroud break and never got round to throwing their old Z-spar mast away.......

Hi John
    Mast is wood and the tube will be glued into a half round groove in the aft lamination. Just wondering about wet sanding, but looks like I will find out by myself.
    Gougeron/West just say use their etch primer. A while back, I was about to buy a Monnet aircraft kit. Aluminium, mostly glued, so I assumed wet sanding to stop the surface re oxidising. Didn't get it, but was left with the idea.
    MMD's links look good, but likely, by the time I got the stuff, it would have been cheaper to buy Classic Marine's track. Bit tricky in the current situation.. and a bit clunky at the tapered top.
    Onwards and upwards..

Just have at it with a 60 grit in all directions. A lot.

Aluminum in wood will have a big difference in expansion if it gets hot.
    I had a test piece fall apart at the glue joint.
    If Gougeons say G-flex, I would probably risk that, but not their laminating resin.

Sanding the aluminum only needs to remove the anodize or oxidation. Heavy 60 grit is a waste of time and effort.
    Gougeons say wet sand with the epoxy you are going to bond with. This avoids the oxidation of the bonded surface. The particles you sand into the epoxy doesn't intefer with the bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    That's how the brass track would have worked, but with a narrow slot in the tube, 3mm, into a 10mm recess, can't see the screws being easy to fit, or clearing the slugs.

The alternative in mind, would be to makeup an ss T track and screw it on, but the ally tube would be much neater. The mast is unstayed, but quite tapered towards the top, so ribands or lacing is not going to work. Don't fancy trying to route a track in the wood over 20ft, while a groove is easy.
    I don't see why not.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.