Thread: Hypalon Repair kit

Default Hypalon Repair kit

Hi -

Of course it's not wood, but I have an old Avon I'd like to use a bit (2 weeks), but it's got a small hole. I've searched the web & most search returns are for PVC - which, as I understand it, requires a different solvent & glue. The ones that are for Hypalon are $40-90.

It's an old beater that's not worth a lot - so I don't want to spend a lot.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Default Re: Hypalon Repair kit

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Hi -

Of course it's not wood, but I have an old Avon I'd like to use a bit (2 weeks), but it's got a small hole. I've searched the web & most search returns are for PVC - which, as I understand it, requires a different solvent & glue. The ones that are for Hypalon are $40-90.

It's an old beater that's not worth a lot - so I don't want to spend a lot.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Squeegee (hard, so it mushes thru the hole and flares behind) on some g-flex? Or maybe some polyurethane (PL Concrete??). I'd call tech support before essaying either.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

The best glues for Hypalon are the two-part (catalyzed) stuff (Clifton, Bostich), but they're really pricey and have a very limited shelf life once you mix them. Unless you have a lot of gluing to do, or something really serious like re-attaching a transom they aren't worth buying. The best price for a Hypalon glue that will work, even if not as strong as the two-part, is probably going to be Shore Cement from Defender at $19.

https://www.defender.com/product3.js...45897&id=98468

They also have a variety of patch fabrics and pre-cut circular patches listed and reasonably priced. For an Avon, you can rough up the fabric in the patch area with some 60 grit paper or a rasp and you should go to the hardware store and buy a small can of Toluol for spot-cleaning the boat and patch before gluing. Rather nasty smelling stuff, but it works well for deep cleaning Hypalon before patching. Clean the surfaces, abrade them, clean them again, apply the glue and roll the patch down under pretty good pressure with some sort of small roller.

They used to sell a handy little Avon repair kit. You would have a few pre-cut patches, a small raspy thing, some glue and a roller in a little grey plastic canister but I can't find any evidence on the web that they still make them. Avon got bought by Zodiac about 20 years ago and Avon production was moved to the USA. These days they don't seem to be very interested in repair items for old boats.

avon-kit.jpg

edit: There are also a couple folks on eBay selling the Hypalon version of the Mercury inflatable repair kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16485262119...8AAOSwac9gk-vT
    Last edited by Todd Bradshaw; 06-12-2021 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks guys.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green