Thread: Sikkens Marine Cetol - Natural Teak vs Light

Default Sikkens Marine Cetol - Natural Teak vs Light

Greetings all.

I've decided to use Sikkens Cetol Marine for my brightwork.

Trying to determine what color, the Natural Teak or the Light.

Seen some posts were people like the Teak and I used it on a scrap piece and it does seem a little muddy or goldish but I've never used Cetol or varnish so have no idea how it should look.

I don't have the Cetol Light on hand so I can't compare that to the Teak.

Has anyone had experience with both colors and if so thoughts on which one seems to have the less pigmentation?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Sikkens Marine Cetol - Natural Teak vs Light

Used some of the teak. On teak trim on my old boat after it was all rubbed back to new. Oil doesn't last, maybe should have just left it to grey. Wanted to try it compared to varnish etc. Boat was on a swinging mooring. Uk weather.

Pealed pretty quickly. Poor overcoating. Had to restrip and repeat. Pealed off again. The teak really covers the wood like a semi paint. A reddy brown sludge colour to ape teak rather than beautify it. It's not like an oil finish. Sits on top. Obscured the grain. If you like a nice finish and wood grain...you won't like it. When its new it looks OK if too uniform.

Personally I wouldn't use the stuff again. It was neither durable or very beautiful. Dad used the light (pine?) on a fair bit of wood and that looked more natural on lighter wood species. Quite yellow. Again durability pretty poor. I remember a PBO (or maybe Classic Boat) article I think a few years ago compared varnish finishes and Cetol performed worst of all finishes, by a distance. That's my experience also. Others might have had better luck. I think a rough sawn surface sticks these finishes better than a plane sawn surface but that's not how it generally is on boat trim. Other woods probably hold it better probably than teak or oak.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 06-11-2021 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks I decided on cetol cause of supposedly ease of application and maintenance.

I've never used spar varnish but people say it's more difficult to apply and maintain and I'm not a boat builder just a guy who fishes who happened to build a boat to suit his needs so ease of application and maintenance are two top needs.

If ease of application & maintenance are important, go with a good oil based paint. That being said, varnish is beautiful, but you'll need at least 6 coats (8 is better), then 2 more each year. Varnishing is not difficult, it just requires more patience that painting.

As far as Cetol goes, people here have said that the newer Cetol is way better than the old orange stuff. I have no experience with the new, but lots trying to get rid of the old (scraping & sanding). Hopefully folks familiar with the new Cetol will post about it.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Mine would have been the 'old stuff' then. Prob 10 years ago.

Yes, the original 'fluorescent orange' flavor of Sikkens Cetol Marine WAS weird looking. And more opaque. And less durable. But do remember that this product is meant to be used as two stages with two different pots of goop. First is the color coat - like 'Light' or 'Natural Teak'. Then there's the clear protective coat, simply called 'Gloss'.

The color coat CAN be used alone, but it's not durable. It wears off quickly with abrasion. Real easy to slop a bit more on though.

I prefer using the gloss topcoat for durability.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Varnish is not hard...yacht quality painting is actually much harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    If ease of application & maintenance are important, go with a good oil based paint. That being said, varnish is beautiful, but you'll need at least 6 coats (8 is better), then 2 more each year. Varnishing is not difficult, it just requires more patience that painting.

As far as Cetol goes, people here have said that the newer Cetol is way better than the old orange stuff. I have no experience with the new, but lots trying to get rid of the old (scraping & sanding). Hopefully folks familiar with the new Cetol will post about it.

Check out Gibb's dory thread: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...y-build/page10 The key to keeping Cetol looking good is to do a lot of very thin coats. If you don't care for the gloss (he didn't) you can rub it down with Scotchbrite to dull it down. I don't know what effect that might have on the longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    Varnish is not hard...yacht quality painting is actually much harder.
    I know you've done 10K times as much as I have, Pat, so I certainly won't argue. For sure it can be difficult to get a professional finish, but people are intimidated by varnish. My point was that paint will last longer than varnish, normally with less work.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Check out my thread on Drake III. Many photos. About an acre of regular house-grade Cetol 2,3+.

Vastly easier to to maintain than varnish. It's gas-permeable, so never bubbles off if there is some moisture in the wood. I've been using on house siding, and boats since 1994. Great stuff.

I don't use the Marine variety. The original colour is fine. image.jpg

I know it’s hard to tell much from this, it this is original Cetol over fir. It was quite orange when first applied but it darkens and mellows quite a lot even in the first few days. This is probably three annual coats since it was wooded.

7B7885EB-5E2D-483B-9CF3-5A781B601B05.jpg

I ended up using Cetol Marine Light over the Teak. Unfortunately you can't return items to Jamestown due to being hazard material so I had to use one of the two.
    It doesn't look too orangy to me. Gives the wood nice warm color.

Now I have to figure out the floors, I'd like to put cetol on those to keep the grain look but with the abuse they will take, I'll probably paint them.

20210614_064519p.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I just luvz the orange.
    all my bright is orange cetol, even the faux wood on the white painted booby hatch.haw haw.

I've applied 2 coats of Cetol Light.

After the first coat, I'm liking it. (see below)

After the second coat, I'm not liking it so much. (see below)
    Though my wife likes it, "looks like it a fishing boat made 50 years ago".

The can says apply 3 coats. I'm thinking no and start applying the Cetol Gloss.

Does the orange dissipate later on?

1st coat

1st day.jpg

2nd coat

2nd day.jpg

Cetol yields a lurid color.

Don't panic. It darkens, and in the years to come you'll appreciate the ease of maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    Cetol yields a lurid color.
    Outdated info, ya ol' phart.

Even the newer 'original' (which has no labeling other then 'Sikkens Cetol Marine') is not the same rather ghastly shade it was for years. And the two newer flavors - 'Light' and 'Natural Teak' are quite unobjectionable. Not the clarity and depth of even a decent varnish job, but not bad.

Pat - on another topic... any idea when the documentary will be finished? It really is shaping up to be quite interesting looking. Appreciate the updates you've sent!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I talked to Interlux today.

They said I could have stopped at the first coat if I liked the look and just applied more coats of the Cetol Gloss.
    Dang it why didn't I get a hold of them yesterday.

Its good to know that it will darken a bit and since I don't want to sand the entire thing down just to apply one coat, I'll start applying the coats of Cetol Gloss.