Thread: Peapod

Default Peapod

It would seem that a peapod with a mizzen mast is the boat I am looking for. I think that I could have fun trolling outside the breakers along the outer banks fishing for bluefish and shark. Any thoughts. Can anyone recommend a good set of plans for a stitch and glue?

I have a 1000 watt bicycle motor set up for long distance. I is designed for dry land but would b a great little motor as an inboard. Has anyone experimented with a set up like that?

Default Re: Peapod

1. This Gartside design is a stitch and glue peapod. You could add a mizzen riding sail to it and a well.

14ft-plywood-rowboat-design-233

You might want a bigger boat and more length for efficiency...the 19ft Oughtred Ness Yawl (glue lap not stitch and glue) has a smaller simple boomless standing lug 'fishing rig' option shown on the sail plans besides the mizzen...and an outboard well too. At about 16ft waterline and 5 ft beam between oarlocks, many would consider this the ideal dimension for sail, oar or low power motor. Not a symmetrical peapod, but the slight aft of amidship waterlne center of buoyancy improves higher froude speed efficiency under sail or motor over a peapod (a pea pod will be slightly more efficient at very low speeds). That would make a good inshore fishing boat.

2. Not a peapod but an Alaskan Hand Troller, Brightsides is a stitch and glue design. Narrower and likely very efficient...but you might need more boat.

https://www.westlakeboats.ca

3. CLC's Light House tender is stitch and glue (lower planks) and glue lap (upper strakes)...kitable.

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 06-11-2021 at 04:29 AM.

Peapods traditionally did not have mizzens, or, at least the fishing ones a centerboard.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

search the internet for Jim Luton's Mattinicus Double ender. A lovely balanced lug yawl rendition of a classic east coast peapod.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

I assume you're bike motor is electric. I was thinking of using one (Bafang BBSHD 1000 W), maybe as a long tail or to drive an outboard lower unit. I did not have the time to play with it, so went with a small electric outboard instead (https://www.electricpaddle.com/). This motor drives my 18 foot double end skiff at 3 kts with 120 W, and 4 kts at 250 W. With the right prop and geared to the right speed the bike motor should work fine. I think you would hit hull speed limit at much less than 1000 W. It takes a large diameter prop to maximize efficiency, that might be hard to manage set up as a typical inboard.

-Rick

Thanks Ben, here's a couple of pics. This is the Matinicus Is. double ender, from Walt Simmons. I changed the rig, and switched from centerboard to dagger, plus decking. It's a good boat, very fast in light air. She's tender, and could use a little ballast, though my rig is a tad top heavy. I would consider a sprit fore, though it's way more of a pain to reef. Lightening up the spars would help.

Cheers,
    Cricket

Quote Originally Posted by graham641 View Post
    It would seem that a peapod with a mizzen mast is the boat I am looking for. I think that I could have fun trolling outside the breakers along the outer banks fishing for bluefish and shark. Any thoughts. Can anyone recommend a good set of plans for a stitch and glue?

I have a 1000 watt bicycle motor set up for long distance. I is designed for dry land but would b a great little motor as an inboard. Has anyone experimented with a set up like that?
    If you have a mizzen, will you have a mainsail? I'm confused by what you're describing. Not a complaint, mind you, I just don't see the whole picture yet. Or do you plan to have a rowboat and then add a small mizzen in the aft of the boat for riding at anchor?

Worth noting, I have a peapod too.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Nothing that says that a pod can't carry a mizzen as evidenced by the nice ones shown here. You will need to do a bunch of non traditional pod stuff: a Norse push pull tiller, a centerboard or daggerboard. In that sense Ran Tan could be called a peapod, except she is assymetrical like a Washington county " peapod" and has a daggerboard.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

It appears you keep trying to find traditional designs to be modified to fit your circumstances. It might make more sense to figure out what you want to accomplish and then find a boat that fulfills those goals.

6C201B02-A81B-4340-9E96-31E940A9091F.gif

Paul Fisher’s Kon Bot Puck, a Polish black launch fishing boat. Looks like it has what you are looking for. I believe Paul would draw whatever rig you would prefer. More good options on his site, including this one with a fin transom.

https://www.selway-fisher.com/DoubleEs.ht
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

I really only want a mizzen to keep her into the waves at anchor. For sailing, I don't see the need.

The mizzen assembly (spar, sail, yard etc) is a significant part of my boat's inventory, adding a bit of power, balancing the rig as a whole and yes, when used as a riding sail keeps the bow more or less pointed in the direction the wind is coming from...which isn't necessarily the same as where the waves are coming from. It has also added a lot of complexity to the boat. I'm on my third iteration of tiller to get around that mast, there is a boomkin sticking out the back so I have someplace to sheet the sail and I've had to learn to remember to adjust a sail that lives behind me unlike the main and jib right there in front of me.

All I'm saying is don't be too quick to dismiss the mizzen sail for use as a sail, but also there is more to it than simply putting a mast in the aft end of your boat.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Sorry for the confusion. I plan to have a mainsail and use the mizzen riding at anchor. I do not plan to use it as a rowboat unless I lose wind.

A Bafang BBshd is the motor. I have seen plans for a trunk where the prop assembly can be raised into a trunk but I have not seen that idea for a long time. As a newbee I am searching for books than can show tables of shaft, coupler and the rest of the required hardware. Books on propeller design seem to be oriented to much larger boats.

Just out of curiosity, what do the local Lima-area folks use to fish? Is there a reason you want to deviate?
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Consider an unstayed 70-80 sq ft sprit-boom or leg-o-mutton as your main, and then reef it way down to 25 sq ft or so so it can be redeployed as your mizzen while riding at anchor. One rig, two uses.

C2BB8FBC-04E0-434E-9E13-99E66FAFDAEB.gif

Or, since it’s a peapod, just anchor from the stern and let your reefed sail fly over the bow, acting as a mizzen. You’ll need to find a way to sheet it but that’s do-able. I’ve actually done this with my own peapod while on a cruise.
    Last edited by Yeadon; 06-12-2021 at 03:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Just out of curiosity, what do the local Lima-area folks use to fish? Is there a reason you want to deviate?

Interesting question. The local fishing fleet have a design that is similar to a dory, only a wider aft with a vertical tombstone. They are all wooden boats without fiberglass and built very heavy. Typically, they are 3 man rowing boats with no sail. I assume that they are longlining. Those are used on the Pacific with some pretty good breaking waves along the beach, a favorite place for surfboarders. Along the Amazon the commercial fishermen use long stationary gill nets. I have not seen the boats that tend them. The indigenous people use hollowed out logs. The passenger boats are about 30 feet long and use an outboard motor design which is hand held and look like a weed eater. I do not recall the name of that style of power. It is a moot question, however, because I am moving to North Carolina along the Nuese River and plan to be fishing around the Outer Banks. My desires are changing and I am considering a sailboat that I can use to travel to the gulf stream about 15 miles out. I am looking at an 18' 7" boat from Chesapeake Light Craft called the Guider. It has provisions for sleeping and is called an expedition sailboat.

Consider an unstayed 70-80 sq ft sprit-boom or leg-o-mutton as your main, and then reef it way down to 25 sq ft or so so it can be redeployed as your mizzen while riding at anchor. I like the idea of anchoring from the stearn.

I thought that a Peapod with a mizzen mast which is included in the design specs pretty well suited my needs.

Hi Rick, Concerning using the 1000 watt Bafang motor. Have you made any headway as far as a compatible design?

I followed your lead on a larger boat. Now you have put me in a real mess. I have decided that if I am going to build a bigger boat, then why not build one that can take me 15 miles out to the Gulf Stream. I am looking at the design by CLC called a Guider. She was built specifically to race from Washington state to Alaska. An article in Wooden Boat magazine called her an expedition boat. They may have used the term a little loosely but it appears to be a stable craft.