Thread: New wooden boat owner with some questions

Default New wooden boat owner with some questions

Hello! Iím excited to join this forum since I am new to wooden boats and have a lot of learning to do. This seems like go-to place judging by my google searches.

Iím planning to have my boat moored year round, but I havenít done this before (with any boat). Iíve always used a trailer. It looks like keeping a wooden boat in the water is the best thing for it. Iíve read many threads here that the only thing up for debate is whether to take it out for the winter or not. Going off the picture of my boat, do you guys see any potential issues for doing this?

Ive been looking for a cover I can use when Iím not using the boat. The problem is all of the covers I see attach to a trailer. Is a custom made cover the only option? My boat is 18 ft long.

Lastly, do you have any advice for someone who will be mooring a wooden boat for most of the year for the first time?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: New wooden boat owner with some questions

hi dutch
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Let me be the first to say Welcome.

Let me also be the first to say careful about posting pretty boats and legitimate boating questions down he you here

The topsides ( other sections of the forum ) will give you some expert advice.

But if you got the gronicals to hang in the bilge then Welcome again
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    hi dutch
    I was thinking that but I figured I would let it ride out
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Can a moderator move this to the appropriate sub-forum? I looked at all of them and wasn’t sure. I figured this one was the “general forum”. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum & cool boat!

I'm afraid you should invest in what's known as a mooring cover - a cover that prevents rain water getting into the boat. It also protects any cushions, varnish, & the like from UV degradation. The need for mooring covers in not just for wood boats. How many 10 year old fiberglass bowriders have we all seen that need $2K worth of upholstery because they've been exposed to the elements?

For a boat like yours, I'm afraid it will be a custom cover - but of course you could make it yourself - check out www.sailrite.com
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    hi dutch
    1 minute or less. A new record?

Wow. Just wow.

"Iíve read many threads here..." urmm ... in the Bilge?

You're close, but no cigar.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Thank you Garret and Joe. ��

Quote Originally Posted by MOON SHINE View Post
    Can a moderator move this to the appropriate sub-forum? I looked at all of them and wasn’t sure.
    Because the content of the Bilge is so similar to what you find on the upper decks?

This is the correct part of the forum to receive non-expert advice of limited value, so here's some.
    Wooden boats don't like to dry out. The don't like to freeze either, so you should get it out before the ice sets. If ice isn't a problem my opinion is still that you should take it out of the water for a month or so during the coldest months, for the maintenance that any boat needs. It's good for a wooden hull to stay in the water continuously between those yearly overhauls. Unfortunately I don't have any experience of excessive sun.
    /Erik

Thank you for your response Erik.

Apologies to the others who I’ve upset by posting in the wrong forum.

Oh, we’re not upset.

Really.

You just strolled into C Block smelling like fresh chicken, and all the lifers are wondering if you are for real.

That’s all.

Just relax.

You’ll be fine.

Rattling the teacups.

Greetings MoonShine and welcome to the Forum . Should you by any chance be my old friend “Dutch”, PM me to catch up with news.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

I'll add an advice. You should make a canvas cover for the boat, like the one you have on your boat but it should completely cover the entire open part of the boat and not leave any openings for wind and rain (I'm sorry that neither I nor Google translate can find the right word for the canvas cover.) The full cover is only needed while the boat is moored, so you take it off when using the boat. A cover protects the inside where you have most of the more bright wood work from sun and rain. I've made the cover for one of my boats so the forward part can stay on when using the boat in bad weather. I doubt there are any ready made covers that fit. Order it from a professional or sew it yourself. It's a little tricky but with a good adviser (wife with experience in designing clothes) and a sturdy sewing machine it's possible.
    /Erik

Use real canvas not plastic, and you won't be left with mildew on everything.
    Sunbrella is another choice, but it is synthetic and does not really breathe like real canvas.

The best environment I ever found for my marina- kept boat, by far, was a year-round covered well. A "bubbler" kept it from freezing in during the Detroit-area winter, and the roof over it kept the elements at bay. It was almost like the boat was held in stasis, condition-wise, when compared to when it was in an open well, exposed to the sun and rain. I honestly believe the maintenance costs went down enough to offset the significant increase of a covered well over the open one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Bartlett View Post
    The best environment I ever found for my marina- kept boat, by far, was a year-round covered well. A "bubbler" kept it from freezing in during the Detroit-area winter, and the roof over it kept the elements at bay. It was almost like the boat was held in stasis, condition-wise, when compared to when it was in an open well, exposed to the sun and rain. I honestly believe the maintenance costs went down enough to offset the significant increase of a covered well over the open one.

Definitely the way to go, Gordon.

Rattling the teacups.

Yikes. My covered well didn't... Well, let's just say my covered well didn't look like that!

!
    Rattling the teacups.

In Portland I know you can find covered slips, that will be your best bet. They won't look like the above, but will work just as well!

That said, is your planking plywood? If so, just keep it on a trailer unless you want to be in the water for other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by MOON SHINE View Post
    Thank you for your response Erik.

Apologies to the others who Iíve upset by posting in the wrong forum.
    The MO looks familiar...

Thanks for the quotes guys!

No, I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone here. Maybe it is the previous owner. I actually haven't taken possession of the boat yet (half deposit down). I thought Dutch was some sort of "newb" comment for posting in the wrong forum.

As far as the comments about not knowing the threads in this sub forum are much different, I did read many threads here before posting. However, when doing google searches, it takes you right to the thread. I didn't pay attention to (or care for that matter) what the sub forum was called at the time. When I looked at the different sub-forums, I didn't see an obvious choice for this thread. After this post I will click on each one and look for similar threads.

I'm not sure if I have ply planks on the hull. It is painted and it wasn't something I was looking for (looks like I should have) when I stopped to see the boat. I haven't owned a wooden boat before and fell in love with it at first sight. Is it the general consensus here that if it is ply it shouldn't be moored at slip?

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    In Portland I know you can find covered slips, that will be your best bet. They won't look like the above, but will work just as well!

That said, is your planking plywood? If so, just keep it on a trailer unless you want to be in the water for other reasons.
    I live in Portland but my slip is in Warrenton. You have me very worried about the plywood planking though.

I would get a custom made full mooring cover for that boat. A motor cover would be nice too.
    Other advice for mooring? Get a good bilge pump and make sure your battery is always charged.