Thread: I'd like to try out a rowing wherry near Seattle

Default I'd like to try out a rowing wherry near Seattle

I'm very interested in building a rowing wherry but I'd like to try out some different models before I commit to a certain model. The primary use will be exercise/recreation for just myself. Every so often I'd like to bring along my 19-month old daughter and wife. I'm pretty sure I want a sliding seat, but the option for a standard fixed rowing station as well.

We live on a lake, so storage will be on a dockside lift.

The models most of interest to me so far:
    The Annapolis wherry (not sure if I'd do a single or tandem) - especially because the CWB is hosting a CLC build your own boat seminar this summer featuring the Annapolis wherry. Perhaps also their Northeastern dory in case I ever want to get into sailing
    Angus rowboats Oxford wherry
    Pygmy: wineglass wherry (or similar)

Regardless, I'd really like to try out someone's wherry for an hour or so. Any takers? If I go with the Annapolis wherry, I need to move fast as the deadline for the CWB's boat-building seminar is fast approaching. As alternative, I'd use my dad's shop but he needs to finish his jumbo Tolman first to make room for me.

I'll travel an hour or two from Renton.

Default Re: I'd like to try out a rowing wherry near Seattle

You cross-post this missive over on the CLC Builders’ forum? You might find what you’re seeking amongst the CLC customers who follow posts there more’n this one.

Or maybe see if you can rent (or buy) this one?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/b...329962798.html

The ad doesn't specify but I'm pretty sure it's an Annapolis Wherry Tandem.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Thanks for the quick replies. Just put a message on the CLC forum and responded to the Craigslist ad. I know there are plenty of these boats out there in the Seattle - just hoping my inquiry will get to the right place.

I've tried the Center for Wooden Boats, but their livery doesn't include any sliding seat models - that's what I'm most interested in trying. I've never actually sculled before, but I have lots of experience rowing, including a year of crew (8 person sweep) in college & lots of time on rafts w/ rowing frames.

If you just want to try sculling before you buy a boat you might look into the Renton Rowing Center:

https://www.rentonrowingcenter.org/

They have various programs including a day pass for boat use. You would need a float test certification but that's not a bad thing to have before you get on the water in a somewhat unstable boat regardless.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Test out sculling before you commit. I thought I wanted a sliding seat rig for a long time. Finally bought a drop in seat and found some sculling oars. Found I didn't much like using a sliding seat. Too much hobby horsing on a 16 foot hull. I am happily back to fixed seat rowing.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Is there a way to get plans for Pygmy's Wineglass Wherry? They aren't selling any kits right now, or possibly ever again.

Bobcat - what was the beam? I row a Cosine Wherry with a sliding seat, and have no issues. There has got to be something about the specific hull design not to get hobby horsing at 14 foot length.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Or maybe see if you can rent (or buy) this one?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/b...329962798.html

The ad doesn't specify but I'm pretty sure it's an Annapolis Wherry Tandem.
    Yes, that's a Annapolis Wherry Tandem. The asking price with all the accouterments is less than what a class built boat with same outfitting will cost. And the class attendee will still have to take the boat home and sand and varnish/paint it. The AWT is a great boat, by the by.

I think I have worked out why my Cosine does not hobby horse. It has a very strong sheer, with the rub rail being only some nine (plus) inches above the watetline, amidships. That, in turn, means that the rower sits on the sliding seat only some six inches above the water himself. As he slides, the rather full ends, bow and stern, prevent the moving weight from having enough "leverage" to push the bow and stern down noticeably.

A somewhat clumsy explanation, but has anyone got a better idea?

Tony.
    Last edited by Tonyr; 06-06-2021 at 08:13 AM.