Thread: glass clear castable 'liquid persex/plexiglass'

Default glass clear castable 'liquid persex/plexiglass'

What's it called, or what is it.? its been around for years I know, but when I try to buy it I am offered polyester resin, or similar GRP resins. and I am looking for a flowing liquid that sets to a crystal clear hard 'plastic' Local art shop hasn't a clue , the boat yards and bodyshops likewise. Can't even buy it online if I don't know what it's called......
    If my eyes don't deceive me, there's something going on around here

Default Re: glass clear castable 'liquid persex/plexiglass'

There are plenty clear epoxy formulations. I also know of one pourable clear urethane product. What do you want to use it for?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

There are numerous polyester resin formulas. The crystal clear version is usually called clear casting resin. Craft people mostly use it for making things like paperweights.

https://eti-usa.com/castin-craft-cle...casting-resin/

Way back when I was in college I worked for a sculptor part time who was mixing the resin with transparent pigments and casting it in layers about 1/2" thick in silastic rubber molds. Then we would hand wet-sand and polish them to be like big lenses. They were all solid castings and some of the big ones weighed as much as 75 lbs. The stuff is rather brittle compared to the resins used on fiberglass boats and it's hard to imagine a good use for it on boats.

A small Roger Kotoske sculpture maybe 12" long. Most of these little ones were actually test versions to see what they would do in terms of refracting light, and whether or not he wanted to do a bigger version.

kotoske.JPG

Roger used to jokingly complain when we were doing one of these that it was too damned much work and that he was going to become a painter instead. Then one day....he did.

A couple of differnt repairs to cleaer plastic. One, my Quad power amps have a small lable with the name, the serial number of the individual amp, etched or engraved into the back. They are mounted with four screws to the metal chassis of the amp. All four corners are broken off , either by over tightening the fixing bolts which also hold other components inside the cases. or maybe just by attrition and accident. . thought I would make a close fitting exact mould of the lables. they are 2 mm thick, maybe 50 x 25 mm and pour in a clear resin to fill the missing corners.
    second, I have an indicator plastic lens on the Subaru that is about the size of your palm and has the whole central bit broken out. don't know how, flying stone, car park incident. whatever.
    , Looked for weeks in the scrappers locally and online, and Fuji Heavy Industries want Fuji heavy prices because you cant just buy the lense. It is masticked to the whole reflector assembly and can be prized off in a mo., but you have to buy the whole catastrophe. All the borders are intact just a tennis ball sized hole. as above thought I would make up a support and mould and pour in the resin to fill.

Thanks guys , thats the stuff . Huge 'duhh' moment on my behalf.
    Hey I'm looking for a clear casting resin, whats it called ? Er, clear casting resin.
    somethings getting lost in translation here methinks. Thanks. seriously,

Run a small test batch before you try it on the real thing. The important issue is that your test batch should be similar in thickness to the part you want to cast. There is a promoter in the resin (cobalt, etc.). When you add the MEKP liquid hardener it oxidizes the promoter, generates heat and the heat is what hardens the resin. A thin layer of resin might take 12-15 drops of hardener per ounce of resin because there isn't much resin volume present to hold heat. A thick layer holds heat better and might harden just fine using only four drops of hardener per ounce. 12-15 drops of hardener in a thick layer would probably start smoking and possibly catch fire. A little experimentation, even in something like a plastic ice cube tray can give you an idea of what sort of hardener to resin ratio will harden the desired thickness of resin in 30 minutes or so without overheating it.

There is more to casting a clear lens then just pouring some resin. You have no guarantee that the new material will bond to the old. I would take the old labels to any laser engraving shop and have them reproduced, and buy the turn indicator.

Anyway, if you want to try it, use a UV stable urethane clear resin.
    Here is a video, just to illustrate the process of producing a turn indicator.

Nifty vid no doubt but by the time I've investested in all that kit I could have bought another car. and he's reproducing a symetrical piece . I dont have an original to copy, if I did I wouldn't need to reproduce it. and with regard to the Quad tags, repros never look quite the same and as I have 95% of the original ....just wanto replace the brokrn corners, Thanks though for the link

The tags will look exactly the same if the shop scans the orginals instead of just using a similar font.

The turn light is not worth messing with, if it would be a quick and easy fix any repair shop would offer it.
    Your best bet is to try to glue on pieces of a similar coloured plastic using cyanoacrilate glue, but it will look "repaired", you can't make it "invisible". Not to mention that in some jurisdictions it's forbidden to repair car lights.