Thread: 16' Barto Melonseed structural question

Default 16' Barto Melonseed structural question

Hi all! About to commence a 16' Barto Melonseed down in QLD Australia, I am in the final planning stages and have a question: I have seen a gentleman on this page use strip planking to build this same design but it looks as though he did not install the chines called for in the plans nor the steam bent ribs.

My original plans were to do the same but am curious if this is going to cause me issues in future? Because of the fibreglass inside and out, does this create enough integrity? I have no problems doing it, I just really like the clean look of the inside without the ribs.

Thank you in advance, and apologies if this question has been asked previously but I could not find an answer searching through previous threads!

Regards,
    Chris.

Default Re: 16' Barto Melonseed structural question

Hi BB, welcome aboard! I have not built a 'seed, but I owned a 13' strip planked version for years. It did not have frames nor chine logs. The bottom was plywood, as were the deck and bulkheads at both ends of the cockpit. It was cedar strip, 1/4" I think, with glass inside and out. The boat was a joy, light and stiff. Good luck with yours, keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    Hi BB, welcome aboard! I have not built a 'seed, but I owned a 13' strip planked version for years. It did not have frames nor chine logs. The bottom was plywood, as were the deck and bulkheads at both ends of the cockpit. It was cedar strip, 1/4" I think, with glass inside and out. The boat was a joy, light and stiff. Good luck with yours, keep us posted.

Thank you kindly! I am leaning towards no chine logs or frames.. Appreciate your input and your welcome message!
    BB.

The beauty of strip building is that it does not need frames. I built the 16' Barto glued lap with frames. Not sure if they were necessary, but they are a pain when cleaning.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Quote Originally Posted by SBrookman View Post
    The beauty of strip building is that it does not need frames. I built the 16' Barto glued lap with frames. Not sure if they were necessary, but they are a pain when cleaning.
    You have both given me confidence to build without frames and chine logs. Love the model build you did of your Melonseed first also! Beautiful boats, all of your builds!
    BB