Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Medicare and wheelchairs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    39,454

    Default Medicare and wheelchairs

    Seems Medicare will pay 80% for a power chair if one needs it to get around in the home.

    Home is not a problem. My wife is mobile enough to get around the house. Getting her from the car to the doctor's office is more difficult. But that's not covered.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Shubenacadie NS
    Posts
    5,299

    Default Re: Medicare and wheelchairs

    Sounds like she's having trouble getting around the house to me.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Tulsa, Okla.
    Posts
    29,726

    Default Re: Medicare and wheelchairs

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Sounds like she's having trouble getting around the house to me.
    That is what I was thinking, this aint rocket surgery.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    39,454

    Default Re: Medicare and wheelchairs

    That's what the doc will have to say, but it seems silly.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bradford, VT
    Posts
    10,077

    Default Re: Medicare and wheelchairs

    Make an eruv that includes the Dr.'s office?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    109,998

    Default Re: Medicare and wheelchairs

    Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Make an eruv that includes the Dr.'s office?
    lol
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    109,998

    Default Re: Medicare and wheelchairs

    one of the biggest sources of consumer medicare fraud in the 90's and early 2000's was powerchairs, think companies like 'hummaround'

    that's the why of the more strict requirements for powerchairs now

    my mom has been confined to a wheelchair since about 1992
    some of the rules are pretty dumb, but that's bureaucracy - like a few years ago she needed a new chair, you can get a replacement every six years, but it had only been five years; a replacement chair was about $5K they would not pay it, instead they paid to have hers completely rebuilt at a cost of about $4,970.00 plus the rental of a loaner chair, plus multiple deliveries. . .
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 05-13-2021 at 03:47 PM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    17,723

    Default Re: Medicare and wheelchairs

    Govt-think

    A good friend was in a heli squadron in Alabama in the 80s. They needed some parts to keep a Huey flying. Their budget said no money for those parts, but there was money to ship the whole thing to Fort Drum for a complete re-build of the entire copter.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    109,998

    Default Re: Medicare and wheelchairs

    here are the requirements by the way:

    – You have a health condition that causes significant difficulty moving
    around in your home.
    – You’re unable to do activities of daily living (like bathing, dressing,
    getting in or out of a bed or chair, or using the bathroom) even with the
    help of a cane, crutch, or walker.
    – You’re able to safely operate and get on and off the wheelchair or
    scooter, or have someone with you who is always available to help you
    safely use the device.
    – Your doctor who is treating you for the condition that requires a
    wheelchair or scooter and your supplier are both enrolled in Medicare.
    – You can use the equipment within your home (for example, it’s not too
    big to fit through doorways in your home or blocked by floor surfaces
    or things in its path).
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Do you have a warrant?
    Posts
    10,132

    Default Re: Medicare and wheelchairs

    Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Seems Medicare will pay 80% for a power chair if one needs it to get around in the home.

    Home is not a problem. My wife is mobile enough to get around the house. Getting her from the car to the doctor's office is more difficult. But that's not covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Sounds like she's having trouble getting around the house to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    That is what I was thinking, this aint rocket surgery.
    (bold) I could be wrong, but I think two distinct problems. Power chairs can be a much bigger problem if needing to be transported, in the same way that electric bicycles would seem to help those less strong, unless you need to haul it up and down stairs, they are a lot heavier. Same for walkers, more stable than canes, but not only difficult to get up and down stairs, but useless on stairs. But getting back to the subject, an electric chair cannot fold and stash in the back seat or trunk, and is too heavy to lift with one person (and sometimes even two people); You either need a "hitch-haul" aft platform to hold one, that lifts or has a ramp, and a way to cover it from the rain, and prevent it from getting stolen, or, a wheelchair van. The latter, fully equipped for the wheelchaired as the driver, very expensive. A small van with a manually deployable ramp and hard points on the inside to lock down the wheelchair (with an able-bodied operator and driver), not very expensive to retrofit.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    39,454

    Default Re: Medicare and wheelchairs

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    one of the biggest sources of consumer medicare fraud in the 90's and early 2000's was powerchairs, think companies like 'hummaround'

    that's the why of the more strict requirements for powerchairs now

    my mom has been confined to a wheelchair since about 1992
    some of the rules are pretty dumb, but that's bureaucracy - like a few years ago she needed a new chair, you can get a replacement every six years, but it had only been five years; a replacement chair was about $5K they would not pay it, instead they paid to have hers completely rebuilt at a cost of about $4,970.00 plus the rental of a loaner chair, plus multiple deliveries. . .
    My mom had a hospital bed and a manual wheelchair on rent via Medicare. Every month she paid 20% of whatever the cost was (I forget). One day she advised me this was the deal. Aside from mobility problems, she appeared to have a few years ahead, so she had me call to ask what if would cost to buy the bed and chair.

    No one, it seemed, had ever asked that. They called me back and quoted $500 to buy both, and that's what we did.

    My wife uses a walker in the home, and that's adequate. It's not adequate is we were to go to a mall, or a museum. We have a travel chair, but I'm not as able to push her around in it as I used to be.

    We do have a Good Will medical supply place not too far. I might see what they'd want for one.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    39,454

    Default Re: Medicare and wheelchairs

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    here are the requirements by the way:

    – You have a health condition that causes significant difficulty moving
    around in your home.
    – You’re unable to do activities of daily living (like bathing, dressing,
    getting in or out of a bed or chair, or using the bathroom) even with the
    help of a cane, crutch, or walker.
    – You’re able to safely operate and get on and off the wheelchair or
    scooter, or have someone with you who is always available to help you
    safely use the device.
    – Your doctor who is treating you for the condition that requires a
    wheelchair or scooter and your supplier are both enrolled in Medicare.
    – You can use the equipment within your home (for example, it’s not too
    big to fit through doorways in your home or blocked by floor surfaces
    or things in its path).
    Precisely. Strange set of rules, are they not?
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    39,454

    Default Re: Medicare and wheelchairs

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    (bold) I could be wrong, but I think two distinct problems. Power chairs can be a much bigger problem if needing to be transported, in the same way that electric bicycles would seem to help those less strong, unless you need to haul it up and down stairs, they are a lot heavier. Same for walkers, more stable than canes, but not only difficult to get up and down stairs, but useless on stairs. But getting back to the subject, an electric chair cannot fold and stash in the back seat or trunk, and is too heavy to lift with one person (and sometimes even two people); You either need a "hitch-haul" aft platform to hold one, that lifts or has a ramp, and a way to cover it from the rain, and prevent it from getting stolen, or, a wheelchair van. The latter, fully equipped for the wheelchaired as the driver, very expensive. A small van with a manually deployable ramp and hard points on the inside to lock down the wheelchair (with an able-bodied operator and driver), not very expensive to retrofit.
    I've seen some that are fairly easy to put in a trunk. They actually are in three separate, not very heavy, parts. Easy to put together.

    As long as it fits in my wagon, I can fashion a ramp to get it in and out.

    I imagine, with today's technology, they can be made to fold, or be designed to get into most trunks.

    Many years ago, when we were pondering future transporting of my mom, I stopped at a place in Fairfield where they modified vans for wheelchairs. The standard minivan would take a person in a wheelchair who was no more than a certain height from floor to top of head.

    Higher than that required extensive modification of the minivan. Under that height required only modest modification I suggested a wheelchair that 'squats' would be a good idea. I also spent an hour or so on the phone with a guy from Chrysler suggesting they offer a wheelchair option that would include a squatting chair.

    He didn't see enough of a market, in part because if they did it, GM and Ford would, as well as Honda, etc. and the market couldn't support all of them.
    Last edited by John Smith; 05-13-2021 at 05:58 PM.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA
    Posts
    23,864

    Default Re: Medicare and wheelchairs

    I still have a power chair in the barn in Mississippi that I'm pretty sure that Medicare bought for my mom when she had cancer of the spine. After her death, it was loaned to a woman down the road. I haven't tried it, but it might still work if the battery was replaced.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    39,454

    Default Re: Medicare and wheelchairs

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    I still have a power chair in the barn in Mississippi that I'm pretty sure that Medicare bought for my mom when she had cancer of the spine. After her death, it was loaned to a woman down the road. I haven't tried it, but it might still work if the battery was replaced.
    Seems our nearby Good Will has a number of power chairs. One day soon we'll check them out.

    It will be a bit before we actually go anywhere. We thought, for example, about Mystic. Checking it out, the aquarium requires making an appointment and getting tickets in advance, and the Seaport Museum is limiting how many can enter, and some exhibits are closed to the public.

    This seems pretty normal these days. Hopefully it will change. If/when we get a chair, I'm sure I can fashion some sort of ramp to drive it up, no one it, into the back of my wagon.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    39,916

    Default Re: Medicare and wheelchairs

    Another carrying option is a receiver hitch mounted one:

    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •