Thread: Repair of a rotten wood sliding door

Default Repair of a rotten wood sliding door

Album
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/P8j8Nqq6uDxdruGh6

The lower part of the door had rotted apart after 50 years, I noticed it split apart last fall, so this year restored it back to better than new.
    after restoring the mortise and tenon joint, I coated the exposed wood using DURO cyanoacrylate glue right from Walmart. It runs like water and soaks into wood well, and will keep this from absorbing water again.

I gouged out the rot from both sides of these joints and used mahogany to fill the space, the mortise I cut a U shaped insert, the tenon I cut a rectangle. To make sure the door remained flat with itself, I clamped and glued in the mortice insert one side at a time using PL mixed with mahogany dust, that allowed it to float into the correct position.

I also made SS sheet pieces screwed into the bottom to hold the door together.
    To allow more adjustment on the pocket door sliders, I inset the hardware at the top.

The advantage is the door can easily be taken apart incase someday the mahogany plywood panel gets replaced. I also used the cyanoacrylate glue to seal the bottom edge of the panel.

I was very impressed with cyanoacrylate glue, gives the wood a nice finish.

couple relevant pics

Last edited by sdowney717; 05-13-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Default Re: Repair of a rotten wood sliding door

The old galvanized hardware plates, I even scraped off some rust and sealed both surfaces with the cyanoacrylate glue and the wood underneath too.
    Who needs paint when you have glue.

Without this being inset, the adjustment maybe since new was not possible to align the doors well to the center lock, it was also a little hard to bring the doors together as it was at the max of the bolt range.

However, I did find out, the cyanoacrylate glue forms a plastic smooth finish on the wood surface that PL Premium does not like to stick great too. So for here I just sealed the very bottom of this inset piece, it shows you how it makes the wood look wetted.
    It might be possible to sand it after sealing and have the glue stick ok, but I think PL does better on raw wood.

Figuring this out took about a week. Cut the pieces at home and assembled into the door in the slip.
    The only other alternative was create a new door with all new wood, something that is not really necessary.... and would have been very expensive, so the repair cost me maybe $12, mostly for some cyanoacrylate glue, I used 16 little tubes.
    But some will do that as in replace the whole door. This area will not rot again. It is not directly exposed to rain as the cabin roof does extend over the doors.
    The reason it rotted is water by the original design of the door was allowed to creep into the joint, and of course the wood joint showed no sigs of ever having been sealed or glued, it was just raw wood.

I looked at the other door and it is ok, had both off to cut insets at the top.
    Last edited by sdowney717; 05-13-2021 at 10:27 AM.

Be aware... I don't know about the waterproofness of CA glue but I do know that it is not UV tolerant at all.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Be aware... I don't know about the waterproofness of CA glue but I do know that it is not UV tolerant at all.

Jeff
    it is inside the joint. Everything I have read said it is waterproof. It is like a kind of hard plastic that cures with moisture. It really soaks decently into wood, enough that I think even if exposed to the sun, the glue that soaked farther in will still seal the wood under the exposed wood surface.

Finishing with CA Glue - Canadian Woodworking Magazine

Perhaps another option is a marine grease inside a wood joint to keep water out of the joint.
    Could seal the joint with CA glue, then coat it with marine grease which is decently waterproof also.

My door can now be taken apart, which is a good thing, versus solidly glued together, which mean the wood panel could not be easily replaced.

I also used the glue to glue down some loose veneers on the edge of the ply panel. I also soaked the lower door piece where that wood panel sits in the groove.
    I was surprised that area had no rot.
    Last edited by sdowney717; 05-13-2021 at 10:42 AM.