Thread: Idaho to kill 90% of its wolves

Default Idaho to kill 90% of its wolves

I can't believe it's not a misprint.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...animals-policy

in the state of Idaho, new legislation signed days ago by Governor Brad Little will allow professional hunters and trappers to use helicopters, snowmobiles, ATVs, night vision equipment, snares and other means to kill roughly 90% of the state’s wolves, knocking them down from an estimated 1,500 to 150.

Default Re: Idaho to kill 90% of its wolves

Hopefully this will end up in Federal Court and calmer heads will prevail.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

They cannot see that it is themselves and their grandchildren they are killing.

But we can always hope for a few misshots to at least to begin to even the score.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Helicopters !!
    hoo boy, Jr and Eric just missed their chance to blast em from Marine One with a mini gun.

Are these wolves a serious threat to the potato crop?
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Are these wolves a serious threat to the potato crop?
    Sheep, possibly cattle; at least that's the excuse. Lots of ranching in Idaho.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    They cannot see that it is themselves and their grandchildren they are killing.
    Hyperbole, much? While I think this is every bit as bad an idea as you do, they could exterminate every wolf in Idaho and it would have no measurable effect on the people living there.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 05-13-2021 at 07:47 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

i would argue that the guardian has it wrong. this has little to do with the "demonization of wolves".

it's just another terror attack in the culture war. wolves are collateral damage.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    i would argue that the guardian has it wrong. this has little to do with the "demonization of wolves".

it's just another terror attack in the culture war. wolves are collateral damage.
    I concur with your analysis.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    the actual excuse is the elk herd, but thanks for playing “normalize the crazy”. Republicans at the base level have gone insane.
    Both, actually. And I'm not attempting to normalize anything; this bill is completely nuts. If you get right down to it, I suspect the main motivation is to try to go back to the 'good old days' when Real Men Tamed the Wilderness by shooting things, and to piss off people like you and me.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    I can't believe it's not a misprint.
    Not a misprint.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Both, actually. And I'm not attempting to normalize anything; this bill is completely nuts. If you get right down to it, I suspect the main motivation is to try to go back to the 'good old days' when Real Men Tamed the Wilderness by shooting things, and to piss off people like you and me.
    Yup

Sheep, possibly cattle; at least that's the excuse. Lots of ranching in Idaho.

statewide livestock losses to wolves have been under 1% for cattle and 3% for sheep
    And I believe they get compensation.

This is only possible because Trump ordered the Service to take the gray wolf off the Endangered Species List in 2020:

In November 2020, the Trump administration, as part of its rollback of environmental regulations, ordered the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) to remove the gray wolf from the endangered species list. Western ranchers and farmers were pleased; wildlife advocates called the decision“willful ignorance”. EcoWatch reported that the de-listing occurred “despite the enduring precarity of wolf populations throughout much of the country. According to the most recent USFWS data, there are only 108 wolves in Washington state, 158 in Oregon, and 15 in California, while wolves are ‘functionally extinct’ in Nevada, Utah, and Colorado.”

The solution is for President Biden to reverse that bit of Trumpery.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    ...The solution is for President Biden to reverse that bit of Trumpery...
    Idaho has recently passed a slew of new laws that essentially claim that Federal Law does not apply to the state of Idaho.
    This is the latest:

"The new law is retroactive to Jan. 20, the day Biden was sworn in as president. It prevents all Idaho government entities from enforcing executive orders, federal laws, treaties, agency orders and rules of the U.S. government involving firearms, firearm components, firearm accessories or ammunition that conflict with the Idaho Constitution."

https://idahonews.com/news/local/ida...n-gun-violence

I wonder what would happen if the Federal Government decided that it didn’t need to make payments to Idaho until Idaho stopped being so silly?
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

This has nothing to do with hunting or gun owners no matter how much you want confirmation bias. It has everything to do with ranchers. The article was poorly researched beyond the title. I still hunt elk on public land in the migration route north of Rocky Mountain National Park. Most if us here are enough if conservationists to push for wolves reintro in the park. It is the same here as it is in Idaho, where I also know hunters and ranchers. It's the ranchers. Why the reimburse isn't working is several pages long, google is your friend. If you want to be informed that is. Google what it takes to be a professional hunter in the context of the article while you are at it.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Why the reimburse isn't working is several pages long, google is your friend.
    But they are not demanding that it is fixed, are they?

I assume this has something to do with the loss of sheep and cattle? I wonder how many each year? I'd rather see the ranchers compensated.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

Again:

statewide livestock losses to wolves have been under 1% for cattle and 3% for sheep
    Our neighbor rancher loses about 1% of his calves a year to jaguars. He doesn't lose sleep over it, because losses to snakes, poisonous plants, accidents, parasites, and other natural causes are higher, and the calves that are targeted are the lowest-value animals on the property.

I a
    m sure it is no different in Idaho, except for the compensation.

When I had a smallholding in England with amongst other stuff a flock of between thirty and forty rare breed ewes, Soay, Shetland, Jacob's, I would lose three or four ewes and maybe half a dozen lambs a year. Foxes ? nah Badgers yes ,one or two, I know because I caught them,... domestic pet dogs out of control, running off lead, or just out for a laugh from the closest town a couple of miles away. nearly all.
    and that didn't include miscarriages and stressed or wounded animals that needed at least basic first aid .Let's see what would have happened if we had culled Bobby and Rex and Snoopy and Max.
    Bilious, choleric, sanguine and phlegmatic

"Hyperbole, much? While I think this is every bit as bad an idea as you do, they could exterminate every wolf in Idaho and it would have no measurable effect on the people living there."
    It's a symptom of the attitudes that will do just as I predict.

BTW, if Federal law no longer applies have they virtually declared succession from the Disunited States?

Here's a blurb on the actual impact the current Idaho wolf population has on ranching:

In 2018 there were 113 confirmed wolf kills of cows and sheep. In 2019 that number was 156, and in 2020 it was 84. That gives us a three-year average of 113 wolf kills per year in the state. There are currently 2.73 million head of cows and sheep in Idaho. That means confirmed wolf-caused losses amount to 0.00428 percent of the state’s livestock.

https://www.outsideonline.com/242285...aw-sb-121-bill

Yeah…but….we got all those guns sitin' gettin' dusty with nuttin to shoot at but bottles an' cans………….

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    I would lose three or four ewes and maybe half a dozen lambs a year.

.Let's see what would have happened if we had culled Bobby and Rex and Snoopy and Max.
    You mean you did not shoot the dogs? Any free ranging or not under control dog is free to shoot, some countries the hunters are even obliged to do it. And what about your own dogs, they should have eaten the pets for breakfast.

Shooting wolves because of ranger interests is simply stupid.

We're doing the same thing in Montana - both wolf extermination and ignoring federal gun laws by the pen of Gianforte. What a douchebag.

Hyperbole, much? While I think this is every bit as bad an idea as you do, they could exterminate every wolf in Idaho and it would have no measurable effect on the people living there.
    Measurable how? You know there's such a thing as spiritual injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post
    We're doing the same thing in Montana - both wolf extermination and ignoring federal gun laws by the pen of Gianforte. What a douchebag.
    Douchebaggery is rampant on this topic, BC is doing similar injury for the same reason, elk and hunters. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    You mean you did not shoot the dogs? Any free ranging or not under control dog is free to shoot, some countries the hunters are even obliged to do it. And what about your own dogs, they should have eaten the pets for breakfast.
    Not in UK, I think. you cant just go potting at anything with a firearm, except a shotgun, and if I could have got within range of a 12 bore I'd more easily run up and kicked the little **** to death, and belted the dog too.
    Bilious, choleric, sanguine and phlegmatic

They are culling - or have already cullled- wolves in NE British Columbia. The reason this time is a band-aid measure to help preserve the woodland caribou. The real problem with the caribou is change and loss in their habitat due to gas development. Even if there is still lots of food for the caribou in the woods left, the roads and seismic cuts make it easier for the wolves to hunt the caribou. This cull might help preserve the caribou temporarily, but without profound changes in land use, the effect will be minimal. I don't hold out much hope for the caribou.

They culled the wolves in the area once before, 25 years ago. The excuse then was to "encourage large ungulates for tourism". The idea wasn't so much to provide more critters for the hunters and guide-outfitters, but to provide wildlife viewing opportunities for tourists who stick to the highways in motor homes. It worked, after a fashion. I am not sure if the number of wildlife sightings by tourists increased or not, but 10 years later, the grain farmers were royally PO'ed by the damage being done to their crops by "large ungulates" who were eating, sleeping, and leaving large piles of dung in their fields.

Truth be known it's we humans that need culling, probably by about 2/3rds.
    Covid isn't going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Not in UK, I think. you cant just go potting at anything with a firearm, except a shotgun, and if I could have got within range of a 12 bore I'd more easily run up and kicked the little **** to death, and belted the dog too.
    I see it's allowed in the UK: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-warn-walkers

But, I admit to not understanding the farmers. Normal practice elsewhere in the world where predator attack is to be expected, is to have at least two livestock guarding dogs for every flock, in addition to the herding dog. No stranger, human or animal, should be able to approach the flock without express permission. Some herding dogs also make fine guard dogs, it's not mandatory to use a Corgie.

I really enjoyed this movie. Great humour to mix with the message -- quite funny in parts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Cry_Wolf_(film)