Thread: Poison Ivy

Default Poison Ivy

As a 'anti-fan' of poison ivy - I've got a 'real load' of it on my property - this article caught my attention.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/12/r...p_id=998869282

Pop quiz: What’s an ecologically important native flowering plant, found in every one of the continental United States but California, that almost everyone hates?
    The qualifier “almost” makes room for the dissenting opinion about poison ivy from Susan K. Pell, a botanist and educator, and the deputy executive director at the United States Botanic Garden in Washington.
    Her career-long fascination with poison ivy is not based on a personal immunity to urushiol, the oily resin that is the active compound in all the plant’s parts — from seed and leaf to woody vine — even when it is dormant. Exposure to just 50 micrograms of urushiol, equivalent to less than a grain of table salt, causes a rash in 80 to 90 percent of adults, according to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health at the C.D.C.
    Toxicodendron translates as “poison tree,” and a six-year research project at the Duke Forest of Duke University, published in 2006, forecast that climate change would make it even more so. Plants exposed to more atmospheric carbon dioxide, mimicking climate shifts, grow faster and larger — and the urushiol in them is much more allergenic.
    It’s Tricky to Subdue (But You Knew That)

If you’re lucky, you’ll catch poison ivy’s opportunistic first moves into your backyard. The best strategy with any weed: Get to know what its seedlings look like. It’s much easier to take a shovel to a cluster of tiny sprouts than to subdue an established liana.

With an infestation that is further along (but not yet massive, or up a tree), digging will require multiple years of repeat attention, as any rhizomes left behind re-sprout. And the bigger the problem, the harder it is to tackle without exposure.

Solarizing poison ivy with plastic or smothering it with cardboard are options in such cases. “Lay down plastic or several layers of cardboard over the plants,” Ms. Pell advised, “and be sure the plant doesn’t come up at the edges.” Expect to be at it for a year, or more likely two, to achieve control, regularly expanding the size of the covering as bits try to escape.

Sometimes, however, the infestation is too far along.

“In my experience talking to lots of people over the years about their efforts, the thing that works most reliably is herbicides like glyphosate,” Ms. Pell said.

She does not recommend wholesale spraying, which uses far more chemical than necessary. Instead, she suggests painting it onto leaves or the cut end of a vine.

Wearing eye protection and gloves, she first severs a big vine carefully with a lopper or a handsaw, not a chain saw. Next, she drills a few shallow holes in the remaining vine and fills them with a little herbicide in an undiluted concentration.

Remember that any tools you use and garments you wear will be tainted with urushiol, and unless they’re thoroughly cleaned they can transfer it to your skin. Carefully bag any debris for the trash, but don’t add it to a burn pile: Urushiol can be released in smoke and will damage lungs.

And don’t make the mistake of thinking that it will wear off over time.
    “I have heard of rashes caused by contact with tools that hadn’t been used in two years, but still had resin on them,” Ms. Pell said. Researchers referring to old herbarium specimens in scientific collections have likewise had reactions to the dried, pressed plants.

Limiting your contact is still best, with lotion or without, as is following up with fastidious aftercare — neutralizing that oily sap. A 2000 study compared the effectiveness of surfactants (specifically Dial soap), the grease-removing hand cleanser Goop and Tecnu, a skin cleanser marketed specifically for use with poison ivy.

ADVERTISEMENT

There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Default Re: Poison Ivy

Hate that sh!t. I’ve become hypervigilent.

Dad had a lot of poison ivy contact maintaining his wood lot and riding trails. He tried his doctor's immunization program but found Euel Gibbons' system best. Keep an eye on a plant through the winter. First dots of green in the spring eat three. Eat three next day. And so on days after. That worked for Dad but you're in trouble if you are a day or so late starting.

I used to have internal poison ivy in the fall if a neighbor burned leaves.

Goats like it. It doesn’t affect me nearly as bad as poison oak.

Depending on your previous sensitization, eating them seems like an unnecessary way to die.

I'm immune.

Leaves of three let it be.

I taught my kids that mnemonic. But, I also taught that poison ivy is not just a vine. It dan grow as a shrub as well. Look sharp!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Poison ivy didn't bother me at all when I was young. I had a botany professor in college that said I should avoid it anyway as I could lose my immunity. He based that on his experiences. That seems to be true as it will give me a few blisters now if my arms come in contact with it. My doctor prescribed a steroid cream for another condition, it helps with poison ivy and insect bites and stings.

I've tried digging it out of swmbo's flower beds; a pox on the damned stuff! Vine spreads under the surface in all sorts of directions. I've taken to using Roundup, judiciously, on individual sprouts. Can't do much about the origin - it's on the neighbors treed lot. But hopefully, can keep it pushed back.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I just beat some back a couple of weeks ago using an herbicide that i bought at Lowes. The bottle attached to the garden hose for delivery. It appears to have been rather effective, it also took out some Virginia creeper and blackberry brambles. I can't remember the brand but if i find it I will post it.

I hated having to resort to herbicide but... desperate times call for desperate measures.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

From this

43836BDC-33A0-480B-87DF-07FDBE828356.jpg

to this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

PI is nasty stuff. It absolutely has to be gotten after quickly.

Also - while eating may have worked for Ian, if a person is sensitive to it, eating PI can put you in the hospital in hours.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Yeah; I agree - but was 'reluctant' to say so.... afterall, the guy eats poison Ivy! Who knows what he's capable of!

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Yeah; I agree - but was 'reluctant' to say so.... afterall, the guy eats poison Ivy! Who knows what he's capable of!
    Excellent point.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Ian is from strong stock...

Until he is sensitized...

"Urushiol is the component of poison ivy that causes an itchy, red rash to appear. Anyone can develop a sensitivity to urushiol during their lifetime, and this sensitivity may change over time. But there’s no way for someone to be completely immune to the effects of urushiol."
    https://www.healthline.com/health/po...unity#dormancy

Oh - Snap!
    When is "tick season"?

I did not eat it. Dad did. And he started on the first feint microdots of green. As I mentioned, you don't want to start a day late.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I did not eat it. Dad did. And he started on the first feint microdots of green. As I mentioned, you don't want to start a day late.

Don't try this at home!
    Skip

Stout stock you come from, Ian.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

ELF ©IMG_3617a.jpg

Cute stuff.

I put my hand in a plastic bag, grab the plant and pull it up.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com