Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I-40 bridge over Mississippi river closed

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default Re: I-40 bridge over Mississippi river closed

mv Martha Ingram.jpg

Martha Ingram #589419
    Length 200 feet - Breadth 54 feet - Triple screw towboat
    Built 1978 by St. Louis Ship, St. Louis, MO.

GM 20-645E7B diesels, 10500 hp. Falk red. 4.229:1. Kort nozzles.

Upstream under I-40 bridge

I recall Donn declaring that he could speak 'strine' a lot better than any Australian.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    The Tombigbee waterway is about to get VERY busy.
    We are fast becoming a 2nd rate, 3rd world country.
    Becoming?
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Things age; An ounce of prevention.......

To easy to NOT spend money, and pass the problem on to our kids and their kids.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Wiki:

Since 2000, the bridge has been under a seismic retrofitting project, allowing it to withstand a 7.7 magnitude earthquake, the similar magnitude of earthquakes during the 181112 New Madrid earthquakes. The retrofit project is also a means to protect the bridge as it is located within 100 miles (161 km) of the New Madrid Seismic Zone, serves as a major cargo route, and traffic thoroughfare across the river. Work is being completed as funds are available. As part of this project, the main span, approaches, and ramps for the downtown exit are being retrofitted. A bridge about 1 mile (1.6 km) west of the main span was rebuilt with earthquake considerations. As the main span (the "M" portion) is located entirely within Tennessee, the funding formula is split 60%/40% between TDOT and AHTD. To date, $175 million has been spent with another $80 million expected.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I recall Donn declaring that he could speak 'strine' a lot better than any Australian.
    Donn said a lot of things

"Cracked". That word. They keep using that word. I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Some more correct terms might include
    • "fractured"
    • "broken"
    • "sheared through"

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/12/99640...g-supply-chain

Cracked Memphis Bridge Indefinitely Closed, Disrupting Supply Chain
    May 12, 202111:05 PM ET
    Vanessa Romo & Debbie Elliot

Traffic on and below a major bridge over the Mississippi River near Memphis, Tenn., could be halted for several days or longer, causing significant disruptions to motorists and shipping, officials said Wednesday.

Authorities in Arkansas and Tennessee, along with the U.S. Coast Guard, indefinitely stopped all traffic related to the Hernando de Soto Bridge on Interstate 40 after inspectors discovered a crack in the steel structure Tuesday, and Tennessee officials said repairs could take some time.

The bridge connects Memphis to West Memphis, Ark., and is above a crucial waterway for barges transporting crops to export markets. Crews have begun emergency repairs.

Inspectors discovered a major fracture in a steel beam on the bottom truss crucial to the integrity of the bridge. Officials said it was found during a routine inspection.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

“F’ed” covers it.

Since the bridge has a lot of repeating structural units, I would suspect there are other cracks, just waiting to be discovered.

A good big welder and a few patch pieces and you are good for another 50 years.

Good thing it did not end up like this one . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-35W_...i_River_bridge

Interesting that it broke adjacent to a more solid part. Kinda like how wires break just next to the solder. I thought that sort of thing was avoided at the design stage. Nearly 50 years old and its broken already!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

yeah, major fracture not a crack. They should probably repair it with 1973 dollars and not 2021 dollars as it cost $57 million to build and they already have $250 million committed to seismic retrofitting. Also reduce heavy truck traffic to 1973 levels. Ok, ok that’s silly, a compromise, use 1993 dollars which is when Fed fuel tax was last adjusted to account for inflation.

sure is a convenient political crisis
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

You think Biden had somebody sneak in and cut it.

It would be interesting to see the failure analysis. I wonder if the bridge has been subjected to loading greater than it was designed for, or if it has just gone through all the cycles it is ever designed for? That is the nature infrastructure isn't it? Also it's the American way "lock the barn after the horse is stolen" lucky that the thing didn't come down. Obviously it was overbuilt.
    We build and repair quite a few heavy trailers for hauling tractors/pavers around. Mostly we buy them used for pennies on the dollar at auction and rebuild them. Some trailers are made using AW36 structural steel and they do not hold up well under cyclical loading. The failures or "cracks" look exactly like that. I avoid those (usually out of business) brands. The better trailers actually look light and flimsy but are built with grade 100 high tensile strength steel, which is that a 1/4" T100 plate has equal strength to 3/4" aw36 plate. A huge difference, I love that stuff!

edit: the "fishplate" looks like a retrofit? Any welder/fabricator worth his salt would have terminated that with a long point or diagonals looking like a fish
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 05-13-2021 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    edit: the "fishplate" looks like a retrofit? Any welder/fabricator worth his salt would have terminated that with a long point or diagonals looking like a fish
    I was thinking that when I saw that picture. That big gusset (and what's with the smaller on on top of it?), to me, looks like it creates a stress riser, and that running it out longer and tapering it wouldn't have been a bad thing.

But I'm in engineer.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    I was thinking that when I saw that picture. That big gusset (and what's with the smaller on on top of it?), to me, looks like it creates a stress riser, and that running it out longer and tapering it wouldn't have been a bad thing.

But I'm in engineer.
    Maybe it was nice and noodly before the seismic retrofits.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Maybe it was nice and noodly before the seismic retrofits.
    And had been able to flex within it's elastic limits or had flexed it's very last flex! Add that doubler with the column and roh-oh...
    It looks from here like it just tore apart, the piece on the left is significantly lower than the piece on the right and the gap is ugly. It would be interesting to see the formal analysis.

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

^ That's funny. Just needs a whole bunch of 5200 gooped over the crack to keep the water out.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

the river has been re-opened to barge traffic; more than sixty 'towboats' pushing over 1000 barges wait to transit memphis
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Just heard on NPR that there is drone video footage from 2019 and later showing the “crack” and the inspector didn’t note it. Infrastructure, yeah let’s define the term.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    the river has been re-opened to barge traffic; more than sixty 'towboats' pushing over 1000 barges wait to transit memphis
    Barges don't load that bridge much do they?

https://wreg.com/news/i-40-bridge/ex...desoto-bridge/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A 2020 inspection of the Hernando DeSoto Bridge shows several warnings to monitor cracks, but no mention about a major crack that resulted in the bridge’s closure this week.

Still, in the 2020 inspection, the Hernando DeSoto Bridge received fair marks. Two civil engineering experts who reviewed the inspection reports for WREG said they found no red flags.

The 120-page report includes several photos of cracked supporting columns, even a crack as small as less than an inch and a half. Inspectors also make note of rust and grout deterioration, which inspectors called a priority.

But the reports says nothing about what we now know is a major crack — more a separation — in the middle of the bridge.

That’s concerning because a man who took a river cruise in the summer of 2019 gave photos to WREG, showing what he thinks is the beginning of the crack.

And now the Arkansas Department of Transportation confirms their inspectors’ drone footage spotted evidence of the damage in May of 2019, meaning it started building at least two years ago.

We spoke with Jialang Le and Lauren Linderman about this case. Both teach civil engineering at the University of Minnesota. Linderman is part of a team studying the after-effects of this memorable I-35 bridge collapse in 2007.

They say it is possible inspectors could’ve missed the crack at times.

“Cracks may not always be visible depending on how it’s loaded. Sometimes they’ll close so you may not see it,” Linderman said.

two yrs ago from someone in a boat
    Last edited by LeeG; 05-17-2021 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Barges don't load that bridge much do they?
    The science is out on that. I think barges are an insignificant load, but I don't get paid to make the decision.
    Life is complex.

The old Greenville Bridge was hit more times than any other on the river. It has since been replaced and removed. I would be willing to bet the I-40 bridge pilings have been hit some. Folks use to claim that a barge carrying a million dollars worth of lead sunk downstream after hitting the Greenville bridge. Supposedly still down there somewhere. I have no proof of the story being true.