Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I-40 bridge over Mississippi river closed

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default I-40 bridge over Mississippi river closed

The Interstate 40 bridge linking Arkansas and Tennessee was shut down Tuesday afternoon after authorities said they found a crack in the span. The Tennessee Department of Transportation said the crack was found in the bottom side of the bridge truss.

In an inspection for the 2020 National Bridge Inventory report, the Federal Highway Administration said the 1.8-mile (2.9-kilometer) bridge checked out in fair condition overall, with all primary structure elements sound and only some minor cracks and chips in the overall structure. Its structural evaluation checked out “somewhat better than minimum adequacy to tolerate being left in place as is.”

However, height and width clearances for oversize vehicles were “basically intolerable requiring high priority of corrective action,” the inspectors found. Tennessee recommended “bridge deck replacement with only incidental widening."

The bridge carried a 2020 average of 35,000 vehicles a day across the wide Mississippi, 29% of them trucks, according to the report. Its traffic volume was expected to increase to 56,000 vehicles per day by 2040.

Wednesday morning in a news conference, those with the Tennessee Department of Transportation said it's "plausible" the I-40 Hernando de Soto bridge may not reopen for vehicles for months, not weeks.

https://news.yahoo.com/40-span-over-...214122853.html

https://www.localmemphis.com/article...d-9e1a32f2768e

Default Re: I-40 bridge over Mississippi river closed

Traffic for cars and trucks for the foreseeable future will be rerouted on the I-55 bridge, giving that more than 70-year-old structure twice the daily traffic.

The Coast Guard has also been notified to assist with barges on the Mississippi River on both sides of the I-40 bridge, currently docked until transportation teams give the go ahead for them to again pass through downtown Memphis on the water.

More pesky Infrastructure...

The Coast Guard issued a waterway restriction to all vessel traffic on the Lower Mississippi River Tuesday near the I-40 bridge in Memphis, Tennessee.

The waterway restriction closes the river to all vessel traffic between mile marker 736 and mile marker 737 on the Lower Mississippi River and was put into place due to a crack discovered by the Arkansas Department of Transportation on the I-40 bridge near the center span.

There are currently 16 vessels with a total of 229 barges in the queue.

“The Coast Guard is currently working with Arkansas Department of Transportation, Tennessee Department of Transportation and river industry stakeholders on this developing situation," said Capt. Ryan Rhodes, captain of the Port of Memphis. "Based on the current information available, we have closed a portion of the Lower Mississippi River out of an abundance of caution. The captain of the port is monitoring the situation and will continue to ensure the safety of the maritime environment and surrounding community.”

If the river stays closed, that could stop the canoe team now trying to break the downriver record.

Not spending on infrastructure repairs is a great way to Repugnicans to cut taxes and pocket more country club dues money for themselves.

And yet, Yertle the Turtle wants to have a Senatorial confab on what the definition of "infrastructure" is.
    He actually stated, that there was a need to determine what is the meaning of infrastructure; this debate could take several weeks before a Bi-Partisan consensus could be reached. Pitiful, just Pitiful.

^ feck. Resonance and fatigue is a powerful thing - think about how much energy it would take to cut a steel beam that size.

Pete

If the river stays closed, that could stop the canoe team now trying to break the downriver record.
    Not to mention grain exports to much of the world.

The Tombigbee waterway is about to get VERY busy.
    We are fast becoming a 2nd rate, 3rd world country.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

At least that wasn't a single point failure e.g. the break did not bring the bridge down.

The Tenn-Tom is not very wide as I remember.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    At least that wasn't a single point failure e.g. the break did not bring the bridge down.

The Tenn-Tom is not very wide as I remember.
    It was designed for barge traffic, but certainly doesn’t have anywhere near the capacity.
    I got to thinking a bit about this bridge and infrastructure in general.

One of these is @ $110,000,000 a copy.

882EE897-3988-49BA-840B-7DA8EC6D9204.jpg

How much is a new bridge?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post

It wouldn't have to stop them. They could portage around the closed section.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

If they portage is the record still valid?

Also I think a bridge would have much greater economic benefit than one of those fighter jets.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    It was designed for barge traffic, but certainly doesn’t have anywhere near the capacity.
    I got to thinking a bit about this bridge and infrastructure in general.

One of these is @ $110,000,000 a copy.

882EE897-3988-49BA-840B-7DA8EC6D9204.jpg

How much is a new bridge?
    duude, that’s for defense against third world countries we have to invade that can’t afford advanced AA radar systems. Wrt paying for infrastructure like this bridge it’s the price we pay for freedom from higher fuel taxes. Besides the grandkids can pay for it.

Like a lot of our infrastructure, our Sagamore and Bourne bridges were WPA projects started in 1933 and opened 1935. Mom, her sisters, and brother watched it all during summers and some weekends at the family vacation home atop the Sagamore Beach bluff. The bicycled over the old draw bridge and then the new bridges on their expeditions down King's Highway, often stopping at the old bottling plant for a free Coke.

Eighty eight year old bridges are expensive and stupid.

The Algorithm Is Watching

Inspectors don't seem to pay attention - or even simply don't inspect. The Crown Point bridge between VT & NY was shut down by the feds & it turned out that the NY inspectors had just said "It's all good" without even going on-site. The feds found that the attachments to the concrete piers under the bridge were completely rusted out - as in big gaps between the supports & the concrete that disappeared when a truck went over.

It took a little over a year to replace the bridge, but they set up ferry service to allow travel.

Stuff like this simply has to be dealt with - or else we'll have lots more catastrophes like the Mianus River bridge on I95. Luckily it happened @ 0130 - so low traffic & "only" 3 fatalities. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mianus_River_Bridge
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The West Seattle Bridge, a significant transportation corridor around here, has been closed for over a year with an alleged re-opening sometime in 2022. Much like the Hernando de Soto Bridge an inspection revealed a potentially catastrophic failure. 10 years ago the South Park Bridge was shut down for safety reasons.

That's two bridges in one city, how many have you got in your town that need replacing but nobody wants to pay the tab? It's almost always less expensive to plan a major project than have to fix something on an emergency basis, meanwhile half of "our" elected federal government trying to scare us into thinking the biggest threats we face are not being able to buy new printings of the entire Dr. Seuss pantheon while shoving cheap hamburgers into our pie-holes.

Bah
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

My wife once worked with a woman who had been a finance advisor for a senator from Idaho. She said a common topic among her peers was how every politician wanted their name on a building, but who cares about getting a maintenance package named after them.

In a similar vein, Tacoma has a very large wooden arena, The Tacomadome. Early in it’s life, Andy Warhol proposed painting it to look like a huge flower. Now, 40 years later, the proposal came up again. A large amount of money was spent to see if huge printed panels, rather than paint, would work. It was decided the work would cost $3M. Excitement abounded. Corporations signed up.
    Then, the city council said No Go until a $10M maintenance fund was collected and banked in escrow. The whole thing ground to a halt.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

They might allow the canoe and small boats to use the Arkansas side which doesn't have room for the towboats and barges.

They might allow the canoe and small boats to use the Arkansas side which doesn't have room for the towboats and barges.

Looks to me like the towboat industry is going to break up tow on one side of the bridge, shoot the individual barges through the Arkansas side, and make up tow again to be on their merry.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Looks to me like the towboat industry is going to break up tow on one side of the bridge, shoot the individual barges through the Arkansas side, and make up tow again to be on their merry.
    Would have to hand off barges to another towboat stuck on the other side.

why do we still call them tow boats?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Memphis Bridges southbound

Would have to hand off barges to another towboat stuck on the other side.
    It would be a lot of work, but a lot less expensive than letting those tows just sit.

There are a whole lot of smaller towboats that would fit easily through that opening, and their owners stand to make quite a wad, I'd think, shuffling barges back and forth through the bottleneck.

They would probably be able to make a load each way.
    Rattling the teacups.

In the United States, the industries that use these vessels refer to them as towboats.

Multiple barges lashed together, or a boat and any barges lashed to it, are referred to as a "tow" and can have dozens of barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    why do we still call them tow boats?
    Because if you call them tug boats you get laughed out of the room.

Tug Boat:

Tow Boat:

Rattling the teacups.

It would be a lot of work, but a lot less expensive than letting those tows just sit.

There are a whole lot of smaller towboats that would fit easily through that opening, and their owners stand to make quite a wad, I'd think, shuffling barges back and forth through the bottleneck.

They would probably be able to make a load each way.
    Yes, it could be done, if the Coast Guard allowed it. It would be a slow process. I know there are a good many smaller harbor towboats around Greenville and am sure that Memphis has many more.

Vessels like shown below are referred to in the trade mags I get - Marine Technology, MarineLog, Professional Mariner, etc. - as "pushboats".

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Vessels like shown below are referred to in the trade mags I get - Marine Technology, MarineLog, Professional Mariner, etc. - as "pushboats".

They'll laugh even harder if you cite some trade publication.

That's a tow boat, and no mistake.
    Rattling the teacups.

Wiki: A pusher, pusher craft,[1] pusher boat, pusher tug, or towboat, is a boat designed for pushing barges or car floats. In the United States, the industries that use these vessels refer to them as towboats.

Wiki: A pusher, pusher craft,[1] pusher boat, pusher tug, or towboat, is a boat designed for pushing barges or car floats. In the United States, the industries that use these vessels refer to them as towboats.

We called them 'tugs' in Ohio.

And I love that the string of barges they're pushing is a "tow".
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

They'll laugh even harder if you cite some trade publication.

That's a tow boat, and no mistake.
    No, they probably won't laugh, as many US builders & brokers use the term as well:

https://www.pushboats-barges.com/

https://www.sunmachinery.com/pushboa...or%20sale.html

https://www.workboat.com/shipbuildin...able-pushboats

https://heartlandbarge.com/product-category/push-boat/

https://www.conradindustries.com/pro...and-pushboats/
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.