Thread: Outboard motor shortage?

Default Outboard motor shortage?

When shopping for a new outboard last fall I was told by the dealers to order immediately if I wanted it by the spring. I followed that advice and it took many months for the motor to be delivered.
    The dealer is installing it on the boat now and mentioned that his suppliers are telling him they won't have any more outboards until sometime in 2022.
    Any other stories of marine shortages out there?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Default Re: Outboard motor shortage?

Took me 4 months to get a trailer last year. My dad and I are considering repowering our 23’ outboard in Maine and have been told 200 horse motors are in very short supply, we should do better if we can get another season out of the old unit.

It's not so much a shortage as a boom in demand that's tasking makers to keep up.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Smuggling up, globally?

These are 250s. It’s not that the boat needs 2,000hp; it’s that some are run as hot spares. This boat was built in Britain and was used for smuggling in the Med.

http://web.archive.org/web/200711211...m/list_uk.html
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Sure not much on the used market these days. I've been looking for a used 2 or 2.5 hp for over a year. I could actually use two. No dire need, but jeebus... never seen such a paucity.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Sure not much on the used market these days. I've been looking for a used 2 or 2.5 hp for over a year. I could actually use two. No dire need, but jeebus... never seen such a paucity.
    Too bad you are not closer to me. I have a Merc 2.5 I'd love to get rid of.

The guy installing my motor even had a hard time finding a prop.
    But, the boat should be ready tomorrow!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    I'm in SE MA and might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    Is that one made by Tohatsu and rebadged by Mercury. Would be a good'n.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I have a Seagull Forty Plus but you’d need to prise it from my cold, dead, hands...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

i just picked up a prop from my local marine service store. Owner said some parts are factory backordered for 18 months. All those factories overseas slowed down due to covid. Some boat orders had gone from spring 2021 to fall 2021.
    i think what bothered him most was not being able to provide service to his customers and having them take a fit on him.
    i am in Ontario and we are just coming out of lockdown.

Steel, aluminum, copper, lead, microchips for electronics, resins for plastics… all commodities, all affected by supply-chains disrupted over the last 14 months.

Add the $$$$$$ being printed to ‘assist’ those who’s working lives were disrupted at the same time, there’s gonna be some changes to how we look at schedules for all kinds of things for quite some time yet; more $$$ circulating for lesser volume of ‘goods’ being produced.

Read a few days ago about a shortage of helium. Needed for MRI in healthcare, also manufacturer of those microchips we need so many of, its source for decades had been as a byproduct of oil and gas wells supplying fuels to our ‘carbon-based’ energy dependence; those have been affected as well.

Our Federal Government’s He stockpiles have been supporting the price structure (but that’s about to end) so we’ll see prices rise for that relatively scarce commodity too.