Thread: Free Star class sailboat VT CL

Default Free Star class sailboat VT CL

No pictures in the ad. Don't know anything about it, just thought I'd share as I understand there are some Vters here that always need a new boat.
    https://vermont.craigslist.org/zip/d...318491543.html

Default Re: Free Star class sailboat VT CL

Only about 45 minutes from me..... but I can no longer handle a race boat like that.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

The proper potential new owner should be young, flexible, resistant to bruising while knocking about in a high performance sailboat where the long boom you'll need to duck is at waist level when tacking or jibing, and be willing to put in a lot of fix-up hours and buy a lot of expensive boat hardware that you will never get your money back out of. The good news is that you will learn more about sail trimming and sail shaping and its effects than you will on the vast majority of sailboats.

Don't ask me how I know this.

star (2).jpg

Hot damn! I need a new project. Right after I get my sailboat in the water, finish working on the 2 dinghies (one to sell), get the Fiat back on the road after sitting for 4 years, finish the wiring in the barn, sheetrock & insulate the shop, cut, split & stack 5 cords of firewood &, minor detail, continue to earn a living.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Why in God's name would you want to put a Fiat back on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Over the years I've had any number of convertibles for the summer. There are few things more fun than tooling down a country road in a convertible on a sunny summer day or warm starry evening. The Fiat Spider is a fun little car that is comfortable & relatively inexpensive to maintain.

Totally OT, but I have to post another ad in the free section. I wonder what this person expects?

https://vermont.craigslist.org/zip/d...318928490.html

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Hot damn! I need a new project. Right after I get my sailboat in the water, finish working on the 2 dinghies (one to sell), get the Fiat back on the road after sitting for 4 years, finish the wiring in the barn, sheetrock & insulate the shop, cut, split & stack 5 cords of firewood &, minor detail, continue to earn a living.
    Slacker.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Because it has a better chance of getting hit.

And don’t worry when you drop a rig. You aren’t really a Star sailor until you lose a mast (or two).

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Over the years I've had any number of convertibles for the summer. There are few things more fun than tooling down a country road in a convertible on a sunny summer day or warm starry evening.
    A guy with a old, bright yellow Jeep who lives near here took his winter hard-top off the other day. He passed by our house several times with the windshield down just enjoying the breeze with a big sh*t-eating grin on his face.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

You know you don't have to go to full on pain and suffering on an old Star. One could go back to the rig on Cetus Star #5 as I recall that I got for Mystic. It spent its years being a nice fast day sailer isolated on a lake on the US Quebec border. Just sayin'
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

There was also one featured, I believe in WoodenBoat at some point where they replaced the rig with a gaff sloop rig, with kind of a Dark Harbor look to it. I think they called it their "Classic Star" or some such thing. It actually looked pretty good, and if you get the boom up to a more comfortable level and get rid of the knee-killer aluminum barney post in the middle of the cockpit it could be fun to sail.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    There was also one featured, I believe in WoodenBoat at some point where they replaced the rig with a gaff sloop rig, with kind of a Dark Harbor look to it. I think they called it their "Classic Star" or some such thing. It actually looked pretty good, and if you get the boom up to a more comfortable level and get rid of the knee-killer aluminum barney post in the middle of the cockpit it could be fun to sail.
    CETUS has none of that, a kicked up boom and looks to be a quite comfortable and simple boat to sail. Didn't stay that way did it?
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.

I wonder what sailing one of the original gunter-rigged boats was like. Hard to tell from the few drawings I've seen online but it appears to have less mast but maybe more boom? Lower center of effort?
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    I wonder what sailing one of the original gunter-rigged boats was like. Hard to tell from the few drawings I've seen online but it appears to have less mast but maybe more boom? Lower center of effort?
    I think the various Star sites have the vintage sail plans They went through two gunter's before getting to the modern rig. I don't know if the modern rig was changed. You'd certainly have a lower CofE. All I know is the folks that gave us CETI sailed her happily from 1911 to about 1980. She is on page 84 of the MSM Watercraft book. The luff is much shorter than the head on the gaff. Probably went through several sails, as I recall the sail is dacron and has battens. Plans showing the original rig are in Rudder, December 1911 and on page 83 of the MSM book.

The folks that sailed CETI on Lake Massawippi, Quebec used to load her with picnic supplies. tow a canoe, anchor and go ashore for a picnic. It might be heresy but with that gunter it would be easy to tuck some reef points in, and in fact the original sail plan shows them. Boom does extend past the transom, maybe a foot.

This would be a great thing to do for vintage wood Stars which seem to still be around.
    Ben Fuller

The Star Gold Cup on Gull Lake in Michigan has been joined by a similar event in Switzerland. These are exclusively for wooden Stars, but don’t think that means slow. Some of the biggest names in the sport have been sailing in this event and it has turned into a really big deal. As a former owner of #4541 this makes me really happy.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

The thing that I actually hated most about my Star was raising the damned mast. It was a little skinny 33 lb. aluminum mast, but quite long. You set a boat cushion on deck and had one persom hold the butt down on the cushion, with no stays attached to the hull, while the other person walked the top-heavy mast up to vertical. Then you both grabbed it and lowered it down through the deck about 3' to the mast step on the keelson. As you got close to vertical, and before trying to set it in place, it was unbelievably unstable and would start to wobble wildly. It would nearly throw you off the deck and go crashing into the cars in the parking lot.

I made a cover for it and rented a spot near the ramp for mast-up storage on the trailer so that we wouldn't have to fight with the mast every time. One day my wife and I uncovered it and found that it was full of some sort of fine sawdust. Then we found a 6" hole in the bottom. It was the tallest mast in the lot and had been struck by lightning. Apparently it struck the masthead, melted the Windex, came down the rod-rigging headstay, leading to a bronze crank on the floor that was there to adjust headstay tension. That was the end of the metal and the nearest other metal was the trailer leg under the hull, so it just blew right through the boat's 3/4"' thick cedar bottom and a layer of 6 oz. epoxy/fiberglass, went down the leg and burned a spot on the ground. Shortly after that we moved up here and while we have plenty of lakes, the ramps were too shallow to launch easily. I stripped off all the Harken Hardware except the custom radial traveler and gave the hull to a friend who was going to take it to Duluth. End of Stary....

My dad raced a wood Star in Santa Barbara back in the early to mid 1970s. I only got to sail with him a few times but i can remember being fascinated just watching the fleet launch. They were all kept rigged about 100 yards from the launch crane so there would be a line of them waiting their turn. What I remember is a hook going down into the cockpit so I'm guessing there was a bridle attached to the keel bolts? Or my 45+ year old memories are just hazy.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Mine had two big stainless loops attached to the keel, but we never had a hoist. The boat rode stern-first on the trailer, so we cut the rear (bow) bunk in the middle. The procedure was to stop on the upper (flat) part of the ramp, unhook the trailer, tie a long rope between the trailer and van and back it down until the trailer disappeared and the boat floated off through the hole in the rear bunk. It was a total pain in the ass. What's worse is that people gunning their outboards while trying to drive powerboats up onto their trailers tend to wash out a deep hole at the end of the concrete ramp. Roll your trailer off the cliff while launching and you have a big problem.

I did the refurb work and veneering on my boat in an old empty lumber yard building where we stored sailboats and canoes for our store. The ceiling had 6" x 14" wooden beams. I made two big webbing slings, drilled a hole in the keel just above the bulb, stuck a wire through the hole and and nicopressed loops on either end. Then I lifted it off the trailer and slowly rolled it upside down using a Harken 6:1 catamaran mainsheet system from one of the beams. It was quite a production.

There's a Star hull on the Norfolk Broads, IIRC one of a group which failed to Measure correctly when built for the Olympics. It's been fitted with a non class gaff rig with room to get under the boom easily..
    Just an amateur bodging away..