Thread: New Shaft

Default New Shaft

New shaft was delivered Saturday with the reconditioned prop, new shaft coupling etc. Old shaft was bronze, prop is bronze. To my surprise the new shaft is stainless. Never had a stainless shaft...

Do I zinc a stainless shaft? Is there anything substantially different or anything I need to know or be aware of?

Thanks,
    JRM

Default Re: New Shaft

Depending on its alloy, the stainless shaft might be more or less noble than a bronze prop. Of all the assembled metal parts, the one thatís lowest on the galvanic scale will be consumed. It should be inexpensive and easily replaced. A zinc.

Yes, your stainless steel shaft will try to eat your bronze propeller. Install a shaft zinc.

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

My boat has a stainless shaft with a bronze prop & while there's less room than Michael's pic above, I have room enough between the cutless bearing & the prop for a zinc. While I've never noticed significant degradation of the zinc, I replace it every year anyway. $15 is a rather small part of launching costs...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

even if the shaft was bronze wouldn't you want to attach a sacrificial zinc?

Ive always zinced my bronze shafts, thats why I asked.

Probably Aquamet 22, good stuff
    Tough to machine in comparison with a lot of metals.

We had a pleasure boat come into the yard. Big expensive thing with two engines, stainless shafts and bronze props. The customer complaint was that he was getting some vibration at certain speeds. No zincs on the shafts and the props were like cheesecloth. Two new props air freighted from back east and he was good to go, but went with a smaller bank account. Use zincs, replace frequently.

Of course the cutlass bearing is on backorder so I couldnt install it all on Saturday as planned. Its all just laid out on the benck like new boat bling. the reconditioned prop looks brandy, shiny new. Given the slop that was present from the old cutlass bearing and the scoring on the shaft I'm guessing I'll pick up a good couple of knots under power this season. Not gonna miss the vibration.....

Thanks as always
    JRM

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    We had a pleasure boat come into the yard. Big expensive thing with two engines, stainless shafts and bronze props. The customer complaint was that he was getting some vibration at certain speeds. No zincs on the shafts and the props were like cheesecloth. Two new props air freighted from back east and he was good to go, but went with a smaller bank account. Use zincs, replace frequently.
    Yup, especially if you keep your boat in a marina. Lots of dissimilar metals around, and potential earthing problems with other boats on shorepower.

This is a photo of my zinc anode after about nine months in the water (SS shaft, bronze prop):

Anode.jpg

The boat's coming out in the next few weeks. I hope the zinc holds out that long...