Thread: If you were the DNC

Default If you were the DNC

How would you be spending money now in regards to the 2022 election?

I'd be inclined to put up a few billboards in carefully selected places.

"Did YOU see $4000 from Trump's tax cuts?"

"How did you like Trump's new, better, healthcare plan?"

"You or anyone you know storm the Capital? Notice Trump left them hanging without pardons?"

The Republicans seem to have a single strategy; run with Trump. MOST Republicans seem pretty solid with this. Those that are not all that solid can, I'd like to think, be picked off.

If 20% of registered Republicans can be convinced to either not vote or vote for democrats, it would be a very good thing in my opinion. And, I think it's not impossible.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Default Re: If you were the DNC

I can't tell you how happy I am to NOT be the DNC. Not 4 months into the Presidential, and they're already focused on running for office again. This is nuts! And for damned sure not "what the founders intended".

At some point, Government must be permitted to focus on governing.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Why stoop to their level? The main thing the DNC needs to do is to realize that there are people living outside of major metro areas, that they vote, and those votes make for electoral college votes.

Oh - and that they should at least pretend to care about rural people & rural issues.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Government must focus on governing and it looks to me as if yours is doing that, but it is the job of a political party (which is not the same thing as a government of that party) to get itself elected at the next election and the one after that.

What the DNC has to do is to win ten more seats than it loses in the Senate in less than two years’ time. And to win some more seats in the House and to win some more State elections.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I think that Biden's core plans are a great step towards having folks in all districts figure that someone gives a damn about the quality of their lives, and of their kids' opportunities. Imo they need to make sure that Reps aren't allowed to "steal valor" as they are attempting with the Covid relief, and otherwise keep trying to make government do things that are needed and appreciated by citizens.

There are serious policy discussions to be had about priorities to best serve the public good, to balance funding options, etc etc. But the Republicans sure aren't having any of them, so pffft. Imo Psaki's approach in the WH briefing room is a fine template for how much ... and how little ... to allocate to that whine.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Government must focus on governing and it looks to me as if yours is doing that, but it is the job of a political party (which is not the same thing as a government of that party) to get itself elected at the next election and the one after that.

What the DNC has to do is to win ten more seats than it loses in the Senate in less than two years’ time. And to win some more seats in the House and to win some more State elections.
    YES. Question is, if you were the DNC, how would you go about doing this?

I've made a suggestion which, if taken to heart now, there's time to put in place. People, in the privacy of their vehicle who see a simple question asked, very well might give it some thought, and that can't hurt.

It's very easy to criticize. I'm trying to find constructive suggestions. The only way they win seats, local or national, IMO, is to pick off some republican voters.

If a thousand non-extreme republicans are asked if they saw $4000 from Trump's tax cuts, and they didn't, which is likely, they may pause.

I would, were I the DNC, begin to put up some billboards in places and simply ask basic questions and hope/expect some normally republican voters will reconsider how they vote.

The question here is HOW, if you were in charge, would you go about changing a few minds?
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

The DNC needs to run candidates who fit the constituencies. Meaning that they need to run candidates in presently Rep districts who are centrists, not Sanders or Warren figures.

Biden's appeal is in getting things done, which ought to have bipartisan appeal. Rebuilding roads, renewing water pipes, revitalizing rural areas for business by extending broadband etc. Doing things which would have been supported by both parties, in some configurations, for 100 years.

His superpower is governing as a bipartisan champion, while not relying at all on DC politicians to be bipartisan. Governing with the conservative and liberal coalition which should be, and hence catalyzing it into being by 2026 or thereabouts.

I agree with John and with Tom.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Why stoop to their level? The main thing the DNC needs to do is to realize that there are people living outside of major metro areas, that they vote, and those votes make for electoral college votes.

Oh - and that they should at least pretend to care about rural people & rural issues.
    Good luck with that. The DNC seems as focused on urban minority voters as the GOP is on rural white ones. IMO the only fix to this is a viable 3rd party made of up of those republicans NOT genuflecting before trump and the more conservative among the DNC.
    Call it the Unification party cause neither the DNC nor GOP seems interested.
    I go to the grocery store and I can choose between 28 different types of ketchup (catsup), but only 2 political parties?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    I see the ivory tower bilge libs are still pretending the Dems are going to be able to get rural votes .
    I do not see why the Dems cannot do this - - the GOP has all but destroyed the small farm economy and the rural businesses that it supports.

We need to tell everyone that if the GOP is elected to power they are going to take back the stimulus money by going directly into your bank accounts and removing it.

Another thing the DNC and Dems in general get very wrong is in spending huge resources in trying to build name recognition for their candidates.

It never, ever works. Especially at the state level, almost no one knows the names of elected officials, and they never will.

Just 37% even know their own Congress-Critter

Instead the Dems should run against the republican party - insurrectionist, anti-democratic, corrupt, pro-pollution, big business sycophants.

And it is the truth.

(Lots of Dems are pretty awful too, but nothing like the GOPPERS.)

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post

zactly. It’s a billboard, just make a big picture with a few words identifying important things. If you really want to get under their skin buy time and pundits on Christian Radio.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    The DNC needs to run candidates who fit the constituencies. Meaning that they need to run candidates in presently Rep districts who are centrists, not Sanders or Warren figures.

Biden's appeal is in getting things done, which ought to have bipartisan appeal. Rebuilding roads, renewing water pipes, revitalizing rural areas for business by extending broadband etc. Doing things which would have been supported by both parties, in some configurations, for 100 years.

His superpower is governing as a bipartisan champion, while not relying at all on DC politicians to be bipartisan. Governing with the conservative and liberal coalition which should be, and hence catalyzing it into being by 2026 or thereabouts.
    Biden's plans appear to be quite popular among the voters, including Republicans.

Republicans are going around taking credit for stuff they voted against.

Those republicans need to learn their rep voted against something they are glad passed.

How do they get educated? Ads on Fox?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    I see the ivory tower bilge libs are still pretending the Dems are going to be able to get rural votes

The Dems actually worked hard to keep a rural Dem, Republicans ran their usual stupid campaign and it worked. Not that I expect actual reality to matter.
    The question is "What would YOU do in preparing for the 2022 election?

Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    Another thing the DNC and Dems in general get very wrong is in spending huge resources in trying to build name recognition for their candidates.

It never, ever works. Especially at the state level, almost no one knows the names of elected officials, and they never will.

Just 37% even know their own Congress-Critter

Instead the Dems should run against the republican party - insurrectionist, anti-democratic, corrupt, pro-pollution, big business sycophants.

And it is the truth.

(Lots of Dems are pretty awful too, but nothing like the GOPPERS.)
    Again, You're in charge. What's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    zactly. It’s a billboard, just make a big picture with a few words identifying important things. If you really want to get under their skin buy time and pundits on Christian Radio.
    I think simple billboards, hopefully in the form of a question, are an excellent way to get people to do some thinking.

If I were the DNC, I would let Stacy Abrams run everything. That woman is a genius and a go-getter.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I think simple billboards, hopefully in the form of a question, are an excellent way to get people to do some thinking.
    People think all the time. If you want to influence people by thinking it sure wont happen from a few seconds glancing at a billboard with bumper sticker dialogue.

Id go for associations,imagery and entertainment. Puppy dogs, home and hearth, reference to popular culture, sassy snappy grandmas. Its a billboard, Id rather see a buxom smiling woman holding a puppy than a screaming billboard GET THE US OUT OF THE UN

i think you should say you are anti abortion, even if you don't actually give a ****.

worked for that one dude.

Party machines are notoriously difficult to get to change policy direction. They are full of career persons who are not answerable to the electorate, and build factional power bases to keep themselves on top. The Republicans did not change really, they just went further to the right and the danger is for the dems, a middle-right party, that they will follow driven by the machine.
    There is no left of any consequence in any other than American terms, though the Dems harbour a couple of possibles if there was an opening.
    Anyone with left leanings in the US is marginalised, as strangely are the less extreme Republicans, left behind by the new Trump party that only retains the trappings of the GOP.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    As long as they are pictograms...
    Reading is elite behavior