Thread: Brett Favre has not repaid $600,000 he received in Mississippi welfare money

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default Brett Favre has not repaid $600,000 he received in Mississippi welfare money

Though officials have not accused him of a crime, Brett Favre said he would refund the welfare money and made an initial payment of $500,000. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis, File)

Hall of Fame NFL quarterback Brett Favre has not repaid $600,000 he received in Mississippi welfare money after promising one year ago that he would.

A state audit released last May revealed that Mississippi Community Education Center — a nonprofit at the center of what officials call the largest public embezzlement scheme in state history — paid Favre $1.1 million in welfare money to promote a federally-funded anti-poverty initiative called Families First for Mississippi.

In explaining why he had entered a high-dollar sponsorship deal with the charity, Favre tweeted on May 6, 2020: “My agent is often approached by different products and brands for me to appear in one way or another. This request was no different, and I did numerous ads for Families First.”

His longtime agent James “Bus” Cook conversely told Mississippi Today when approached at his home last week that he had nothing to do with Favre’s contract with the public grant-funded nonprofit.

Favre, the 51-year-old Kiln native and south Mississippi resident, has not returned several calls or messages to Mississippi Today, but told his Twitter followers last year that he didn’t know the money he received was intended to help poor families.

https://mississippitoday.org/2021/05...ed-a-year-ago/

Default Re: Brett Favre has not repaid $600,000 he received in Mississippi welfare money

A lot of the money that was supposed to go to welfare recipients went to built a new volleyball center at the University of Southern Mississippi where Brett Favre's daughter happened to play volley ball.

Default Re: Brett Favre has not repaid $600,000 he received in Mississippi welfare money

Humans are like that, more of them than we like to admit.

brett farve net worth: $96m
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Heard a Bulwark podcast yesterday, Charlie Sykes interviewing David Frum. They commented on the particular directions of the former administration, observing that the policy choices could, in principle, be divorced from the graft. Frum said that Steve Bannon (of all people) tried to reign Trump in a bit on filling his own wallet. As if to say "I'm with you 100% on the bigotry, but not so much the stealing."

I think that a bunch of the players weight those two things more heavily one direction, and some weight it the other. Trump himself, while a happy bigot, would sublimate his bigotry when it interfered too much with stealing.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Btw, I'd never have imagined a universe in which I voluntarily listened to Sykes interviewing Frum, and agreed with much of what they said. A theme they described themselves, with much more cogency than you'd expect.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    brett farve net worth: $96m
    Seriously? So it's no more difficult for him that "write a check"?
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

Used to love watching Favre scramble and win. Thought he was cool in Something About Mary. Then he retired, and celebrated by sending dick pics to a female acquaintance. He became a Trumper. He probably always was a complete anus volcanus, but his agent kept a lid on it.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Bret Favre? Never heard of him, must be famous in the US only

He used to be an American football player. We went to the same university, but I was already there when he was born. Since I'm not a football fan, I don't really know that much about him either except for his involvement in ripping off money that was supposed to go to people needing welfare help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    He used to be an American football player... Since I'm not a football fan, I don't really know that much about him either except for his involvement in ripping off money that was supposed to go to people needing welfare help.
    He's a republican, that's what they do