Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Corvette progress

Default Corvette progress

Been busy around here but while Im waiting for cure time in the powder coat oven Ill update where we are.
    Weve got all the rear suspension out and have been prepping all those parts for powder coating, plus building an oven large enough to do the rear end, and other suspension parts.
    Here is the rear end housing almost ready for powder coat.
    4B78F4C2-EBA5-4058-B35C-ABF84A9BF5E1.jpg
    Another batch of parts ready to go.
    D111E38A-6BE6-4B86-AE8E-7AEE65671613.jpg
    And here is a batch going in the small oven.
    CDAB7260-6BDF-4148-893C-6CB0FA788C7C.jpg
    Tom

Default Re: Corvette progress

Here is that batch after baking for 20 mins at 400
    C018C6E1-4447-4AD1-8D2C-043D293D8C69.jpg
    And a better shot after they have cooled a bit.
    8BD0AEF1-5FD2-4C8E-9C0E-33826C27CEF1.jpg
    This is the rear end coated and in the big oven along with the larger parts, brake/clutch pedals, radius rods, and a couple other parts.
    28A9F5D8-5152-48F4-BCB1-D605BD8E91CB.jpg
    Tom

Do you have some sort of electrostatic spray setup, or can you spray powdercoat from a rattlecan before bake?
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

The frame had one bad rust spot that I wasn’t comfortable leaving as is, and it was pretty accessible with the suspension out so decided to try my hand at welding in a patch.
    Here’s the area.
    9B281E26-9C78-466F-8086-72A7E416C5BC.jpg
    I cut out until I got to solid metal. More than I wanted, but it is what it is. Surprisingly I haven’t fo7nf any other spots that concern me other than the battery tray is half gone.
    FAC1D80B-4348-4859-AD5A-C1DCB1EEAFC1.jpg
    Welded up a patch to fit the cutout, matching the frame assembly as much as I could.
    1E6B16E5-D89D-409E-9484-EE8407511519.jpg
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Do you have some sort of electrostatic spray setup, or can you spray powdercoat from a rattlecan before bake?
    It’s an electrostatic rig. A cheap harbor freight setup for now while I experiment with it.
    Tom

Here is the frame repair welded in place.
    A88070DC-82C8-4334-8CAB-BDEC81D7A292.jpg
    And another view. Still a little grinding to do but not much.
    46D49C36-6DE2-444A-830D-3EB3EA806174.jpg
    Tom

Prior to powder coating the rear end I found some serious wear on the spring perches. The locating hole for the leaf spring was way off.
    B3BAC100-82A5-4BF7-8D1F-386944C9E351.jpg

A little welding and grinding fixed those right up.

293E5149-2979-41A5-8827-D5B0C581642C.jpg
    Tom

Great thread, please keep us posted.
    Don't worry I'm happy

"The law is what we have to live with.
    Justice is sometimes harder to achieve."

Sherlock Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by beernd View Post
    Great thread, please keep us posted.
    I plan to! Jake graduates in three weeks (less really) and the goal is for him to drive it to graduation. We are working like crazy.

Of course building a powder coat oven did slow us down a bit. That was a bit of a project in and of itself.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    I plan to! Jake graduates in three weeks (less really) and the goal is for him to drive it to graduation. We are working like crazy.

Of course building a powder coat oven did slow us down a bit. That was a bit of a project in and of itself.
    If I ever get around to getting my Corvair back on the road (getting to be a bigger “if” all the time) I’ll be wanting to have a serious talk

Jeff C

Very impressive.
    Was the 'rust spot' next to that big hole?

Impressive and ambitious. Thanks for posting.

You astound me, sir.
    Builder of some of the most beautiful boats ever to grace this forum and also an ace at auto rebuilding.
    I know absolutely nothing of auto work and will be following.

I've a friend who bought a Corvette convertible new in 1968. He put well over 100,000 miles on it before parking it in his garage where it now sits under a pile of junk.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    You astound me, sir.
    Builder of some of the most beautiful boats ever to grace this forum and also an ace at auto rebuilding.
    I know absolutely nothing of auto work and will be following.

I've a friend who bought a Corvette convertible new in 1968. He put well over 100,000 miles on it before parking it in his garage where it now sits under a pile of junk.
    Just let me know when he is ready for me to pick it up!

Thanks for the kind words. Honestly I feel like I kind of fumble my way through, learning as I go. I’m not one to shy away from a challenge though, and new tools/processes keep things interesting.
    Tom

Yeah, yer good. Real good!

But... for 'the old guys' .... refresh our memories. What is the project car?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Yeah, yer good. Real good!

But... for 'the old guys' .... refresh our memories. What is the project car?
    Sorry, 61 corvette. Picked it up just over a month ago in Lansing, MI.
    Our goal is to make a fun driver that we can work on a bit at a time. Non running when we picked it up but I’ve gotten it started so I know it runs.
    Loaded in the trailer for the ride home.

4217AF7A-16CA-4A0B-9C1E-CF50DDD0CF0C.jpg

Jake is pretty excited about this one.
    F25D3BF1-B83D-4BCC-9526-8F61AB606870.jpg

He has done much of the disassembly work. He he had just pulled the rear suspension.
    1423AFC1-61B9-4D58-BECF-D15FCAE06DF7.jpg
    Tom

Man! Way cool. Is there another thread on this you can point to? I'd be curious the details - 327? I (imagine/hope) 4-spd?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

How's the chrome? Is it going to need a 're-do'? Interior?

How's the chrome? Is it going to need a 're-do'? Interior?

Chrome is pretty good. Has some dings here and there. Interior is ok. Drivers seat has a couple cracks and door panels are not original. It will work through. Top is in decent shape but needs to be reattached to rear bow and needs some adjusting. Looks like I may need to do some work on the windshield frame. None of that is high on the priority list right now.

Car has a 283 and is a 4 speed. No interest in an auto for this model for me.

Just rebuilt the carb and am going to powder coat the intake. New fuel pump is ready to go in and I have a pertronix for the distributor to get rid of the points, though I did get them adjusted and working. Car wouldn’t start at all when we got it. No spark, heck for a while it did nothing. Bad ground cable. I cut an inch off the ground cable and that at least got it turning over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

Man! Way cool. Is there another thread on this you can point to? I'd be curious the details - 327? I (imagine/hope) 4-spd?

There is a thread titled Lansing, MI I think that started it. I will find a link. (Title was vague. At the time I didn’t know if I would buy)

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...=Lansing%2C+mi
    Last edited by Tom Wilkinson; 05-09-2021 at 07:51 AM.
    Tom

I guided him through the front disk brake upgrade.

1D1D4CC2-754D-4D86-8D69-84913E18C82B.jpg

Modified a mopar master cylinder since it can be made to fit the stock location and is a dual master cylinder. The steel stock beside it is destined to be a pushrod.
    9B7054D8-116C-46BB-B27A-629B9E28B64C.jpg

And here is the completed pushrod, minus a locknut. Needs a bit more cleaning up and to be powder coated.
    F932139A-4193-4991-BDF1-24E4E655AE35.jpg
    Tom

Even with all the labor being you guys, that represents a serious outlay in $ Well worth it, but no mean thing.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Chrome is pretty good. Has some dings here and there. Interior is ok. Drivers seat has a couple cracks and door panels are not original. It will work through. Top is in decent shape but needs to be reattached to rear bow and needs some adjusting. Looks like I may need to do some work on the windshield frame. None of that is high on the priority list right now.

Car has a 283 and is a 4 speed. No interest in an auto for this model for me.

Just rebuilt the carb and am going to powder coat the intake. New fuel pump is ready to go in and I have a pertronix for the distributor to get rid of the points, though I did get them adjusted and working. Car wouldn’t start at all when we got it. No spark, heck for a while it did nothing. Bad ground cable. I cut an inch off the ground cable and that at least got it turning over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dipstick is dead set on keeping his car as original as possible. When we got to adjusting the points and the optional electronic module that fits right there...
    He even spung for a new 009 with the ignition in it.

You guys need to start with a real junk car, next, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Even with all the labor being you guys, that represents a serious outlay in $ Well worth it, but no mean thing.
    Quad and I discuss that a bit. All this money outing into the car. Of course, it’s relative with his car.

But, once done, there’s a two fold payday, really. I mean, there’s the nice car to drive, and the value added back into the object itself.
    There’s also that part where you know some other kid will see an old something. Car, tractor, boat...whatever. It needn’t even be “special” like a corvette.

There is a weird thrill in preserving something. A specific joy. Can’t put a price tag on it.

I'm hoping the kids feel the same way about me....

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Dipstick is dead set on keeping his car as original as possible. When we got to adjusting the points and the optional electronic module that fits right there...
    He even spung for a new 009 with the ignition in it.

You guys need to start with a real junk car, next, I think.
    Luckily this one doesn’t have the original motor and has had some small hot rod mods done so I have no reason to try to keep it all original. That kept the car in a range I could justify price wise, and I can enjo6 it more as a driver rather than trying to make it a pristine original.

And have you not seen the pieces of 34 pickup that show up in pics from time to time?? Now that one is a project. Gotta get to boxing the frame on it soon.
    Tom

Last hijack. Quad has already decided he wants an early to mid 30s car/truck next. To work on.

I am seriously not even sure if he has any solid plans to keep and drive this car. But, he has taken to working on them. I don’t do ANYTHING, if I can help it.

I mean, I know how to do this crap. How’s he gonna learn if an older guy doesn’t yell at him that he’s doing it wrong?

I love knowing we are living parallel dreams.

Quad and I discuss that a bit. All this money outing into the car. Of course, it’s relative with his car.

But, once done, there’s a two fold payday, really. I mean, there’s the nice car to drive, and the value added back into the object itself.
    There’s also that part where you know some other kid will see an old something. Car, tractor, boat...whatever. It needn’t even be “special” like a corvette.

There is a weird thrill in preserving something. A specific joy. Can’t put a price tag on it.
    Jake is excited about the vette, but he would take his ‘48 ford pickup over it in a heartbeat. He LOVES that truck, and does all the work on it himself. He just redid the whole wiring harness, added a fuse panel and made a new ash bed with powder coated rails.

He has no interest in any car newer than about 1967.

Stripping and crimping connectors.
    CD9D4DB8-E3BF-49DC-8E86-9BED7DB45496.jpg
    Added weatherproof connectors everywhere in engine bay
    E16B3859-75FA-45E0-B5AC-C83D81DCC7A6.jpg
    And here is the new ash bed
    194AE5DB-5826-482E-9EF8-28DD00BC1D95.jpg
    Tom

Last hijack. Quad has already decided he wants an early to mid 30s car/truck next. To work on.

I am seriously not even sure if he has any solid plans to keep and drive this car. But, he has taken to working on them. I don’t do ANYTHING, if I can help it.

I mean, I know how to do this crap. How’s he gonna learn if an older guy doesn’t yell at him that he’s doing it wrong?

I love knowing we are living parallel dreams.
    A hijack about working on old cars with kids is ALWAYS welcome. I’m loving the fact Jake is interested. It’s a great feeling working together on these things. Covid was a good thing for us.
    Tom

Ha! We are contemplating making a harness or buying one; we WILL change the wiring to 1967 spec, which is the first 12v in the states.

There are only 11 wires in the main harness. Hahaha.

I am just pleased as pinch to be a dad who has kids that want to be around him. We could be playing hopscotch, for all I care. Being around those kids makes me feel amazing.

That last photo in post #28 is 'pure automotive pron' -- Thanks for posting !!

Yesterday was a busy day prepping parts for powder coating. Lost of sandblasting, cleaning and prepping but we got a ton of parts done, including the rear end housing, which was the biggest challenge. Pretty happy with how it turned out. The oven build was worth the effort.

EA4B4C5D-D889-4D7B-A5EF-A05DF3468FA3.jpg

Brake and clutch pedals and a bunch of suspension parts.
    6AB435CB-0B37-4AB5-AC3D-CE813FCF5020.jpg
    Tom

just me, or does the photo backdrop above look like a riveted aircraft panel?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

You do what you know?

Much like taking a boat you've built out on the water, there is a special feeling that comes from driving around town in a car you've stripped down and put back together.
    Or maybe I'm the weird one...

As for the cost/benefit ratio, skills have carry-over. Learning to weld as a stagehand lead me to fixing up a few cars and now I'm about to weld up a metal stair rail for the house I'm building. There are worse hobbies to take up, whenever Shari raises an eyebrow at a fresh box of parts for something, I point out I could be blowing all our money at the casino like her first husband.

Tom: That was a nice bit of fabrication you did on the frame repair. Good call on the brake conversion too, if it is anything like on my Bronco it will be a night/day difference.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan