Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racist Menthol Ban

Default Racist Menthol Ban

A ban on menthol cigarettes falls disproportionatley on black people, because menthol smokers are disproportionateley black. Creates a black market which feeds the drug trade, the effect of which falls disproportionateley on black people. Gives police a pretext ("I smelled menthol") to claim probable cause for detention, the effects of which falls disproportionateley on black people.

Perfect example of systemic racism.
    Scientific knowledge is a social construction on a par with myth, superstition, religion, and political orientation, which are therefore entitled to the same respect, prestige and funding as science.

Default Re: Racist Menthol Ban

Didn’t know menthol smokers were disproportionately black. Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Didn’t know menthol smokers were disproportionately black. Why is that?
    Kool.

Newport.
    Rattling the teacups.

Ban cigarettes completely, problem solved.

One could pitch it that the ban on menthol containing tobacco will disproportionately reduce smoking among Blacks, thus disadvantaging whites, since a smaller proportion of them will be weaned from smoking.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I have a West Indian bud who smokes menthol. It is so folks do not bum half his smokes .

Sadly, another "Black Law." As in the OP, "I smelled menthol, he started to run away. I feared for my life so I shot him."
    "...moved as he was solely by the desire for truth, and by the suspicion...that the truth was not what was appearing to him at that moment."

Quote Originally Posted by L.A Marche View Post
    Agreed. Also menthol cigarettes are what gets a lot of young people into a nasty, destructive habit.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Yeah, that worked soooo well with alcohol and marijuana.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

this is so, so late.

the kids are vaping who the hell knows what.

menthol cigarettes? lol.

Cancer, emphysema, and COPD caused by smoking menthol cigarettes is also disproportionate among African-Americans.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Worked well with alcohol, didn’t it.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

White cigarette papers are racist.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

My aunt May smoked Black Sobranies through a long yellow tortoiseshell holder. they killed her.

On smoking reduction. With a taxpayer funded health system there is very good reason for a government to work to reduce an activity that causes health issues that soak up tax dollars. Here, the tax content of a pack of fags is very high, so high that there is a quiet black market in home grown, known as "chopchop". There is a crossover point where the profit margin in that stuff is high enough to attract the attention of the criminal element, we seem to be just under that at present as its largely confined to hobbyists, old reprobates growing in their backyards, which is not illegal, supplying their old reprobate pensioner friends with cheap bakky.
    Generally though the percentage of the population addicted is steadily falling.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Who bans menthol cigarettes and why?
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

Biden because they are racist. Isn't that the reason for everything these days?

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Seems the FDA is proposing one. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pres...ations-smokers
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Smoking habits die hard. My grandfather on my mom's side developed angina at a late age so devised a custom cigarette that had the paper infused with nitroglycerine. I've got a pack: Southworth 75s. Didn't do him much good though. Wishful thinking I suppose.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Long said that I'll take up pipe smoking when I turn 70. By then, something else is likely to kill me first, but I'll have insurance..
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

HFCS may kill more here than ciggys.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Kool.

Newport.
    Back in the early ´60´s, the major menthol-tipped brand was Salem, which came in a green-coloured pack.

Something to be said for motivation. I gave up forty years of pipe smoking to MaryEllen's asthma. Not returned to it after MaryEllen's death because my pipe collection went down with Granuaile and I'm too cheap to invest beaucoup bucks in more pipes.

But more to the point, menthol is a huge problem that's become racialized over the years. In '64 my first ventures into adult adventure was with a girl who smoked Kools. The next morning I had a weird feeling in my mouth and thought at first it was a sign of loosing my virginity . . .

Since those days, marketing menthols to US minority and third world markets has increased. It is capitalist racism.

Here's the starter - https://tobaccoinduceddiseases.biome...7-9625-9-S1-S7

Google is your friend
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Here's the starter - https://tobaccoinduceddiseases.biome...7-9625-9-S1-S7

Google is your friend
    Sorry. I am tired of accepting cookies with unknown powers every time I open a web page.

Racism is at least as much about intent as statistics. Smoking is stupid. Smoking menthol cigarettes is even more stupid. If Biden or anyone can get them off the market, I'll count it as a plus in the health column and hope he can go after all smoking next.

Marketing menthol cigarettes may have a racist component, but I suspect it is just old-fashioned opportunism. I doubt the cigarette industry decided "Let's stick it to the blacks!" and simply took advantage of poor decisions made by a group of human beings. Ending that poor decision for health reasons is not racist any more than trying to address higher suicide rates among African Americans is racist.
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

Sorry. I am tired of accepting cookies with unknown powers every time I open a web page.

Right click - and open in incognito window. - close that window when you're done and all cookies get binned automatically

Had one of these but never smoked in my life.

57495360-4D50-43D2-8D85-4FC6991A552D.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Right click - and open in incognito window. - close that window when you're done and all cookies get binned automatically
    Seriously? That seems too easy.

So I did it. If I'm reading the article correctly, menthol cigarette smokers have higher nicotine levels in their blood per cigarette than non-menthol smokers. Menthol slows the metabilization of nicotine. So if you take menthol cigarettes off the market, menthol smokers will smoke more to get the same fix? Is that what it's saying?

So, aside from the obvious concern about smoking Bengay, what is the down side of smoking menthol cigarettes?

Menthol cigarettes are gone from the UK and, I believe, the EU.

https://www.niquitin.co.uk/menthol-cigarette-ban-uk/

The menthol cigarette ban is part of an initiative by the European Union (EU) to protect people from the harmful effects of tobacco.

In the EU, tobacco consumption is the ‘single largest avoidable health risk’, and the ‘most significant cause of premature death’4. It is responsible for nearly 700,000 deaths every year and around 50% of smokers die prematurely (on average 14 years earlier than non-smokers)4.

As a response, the EU put together a piece of legislation called the ‘Tobacco Product Directive’. This legislation was designed to help create a consistent EU wide approach to tackling smoking. A focus of the legislation was on discouraging young people taking up smoking or helping them to quit, with 93% of smokers starting to smoke before they turn 264.

Products that are linked with taking up smoking by young people, and encouraging them to keep smoking, therefore found themselves in the firing line. This included products that modify the smell/taste of the cigarettes to mask tobacco, such as menthol cigarettes5.

It is important to note, the EU’s ‘Tobacco Product Directive’ was adopted back in 2014. It was then placed into British law through the The Tobacco and Related Products regulations in 2016. This means the legislation still applies in the UK even though the UK has left the EU.

oh i get it now, this is all the ill found hanging on to the coat tails of global intellectual elites
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Products that are linked with taking up smoking by young people, and encouraging them to keep smoking, therefore found themselves in the firing line. This included products that modify the smell/taste of the cigarettes to mask tobacco, such as menthol cigarettes5.
    So the attack on menthol cigarettes is an attack on efforts to get young people into smoking? This is what my wife was telling me. Doesn't sound racist to me. In fact, it sounds like a darn good idea.

I suspect the impact upon Blacks is an unintended consequence of good intentions.
    "...moved as he was solely by the desire for truth, and by the suspicion...that the truth was not what was appearing to him at that moment."

"all these years, i thought i liked chicken 'cause it was delicious. turns out, i am genetically predisposed to likin' chicken!"~dave chapelle

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    "all these years, i thought i liked chicken 'cause it was delicious. turns out, i am genetically predisposed to likin' chicken!"~dave chapelle
    gold

85% seems high.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...93a_story.html

Opinion: Why the ban on menthol cigarettes leaves a sour taste in my mouth

Opinion by
    Eugene Robinson
    Columnist
    May 3, 2021 at 12:53 p.m. PDT

Add to list
    Smoking is bad for you, and any measure that helps people quit is theoretically good. But the federal government’s proposed ban on menthol cigarettes leaves a sour taste in my mouth — and not a nicotine-flavored one.

Making it illegal to make or sell Newports, Kools and other such brands will have a massively disparate impact on African American smokers, nearly 85 percent of whom smoke menthols. By contrast, only around 30 percent of White smokers and 35 percent of Hispanic smokers choose menthol-flavored varieties. Black smokers have every right to feel targeted by the planned prohibition.
    It's not a panacea, so don't do it.

There is little data to tell whether a ban on menthols that went into effect last year in the European Union and Britain has had the desired effect. A few studies of the Canadian ban, which began in selected provinces and was made nationwide in 2018, show that menthol smokers were significantly more likely to try to quit, and even to succeed, than other smokers. However, a recent study of the Canadian prohibition by the National Bureau of Economic Research in Cambridge, Mass., concluded that menthol bans “are unlikely to be a panacea” because so many youths switched to non-menthol smokes and so many adults got their menthols anyway from Native Canadian reserves, which were exempted.

-- idid
    Scientific knowledge is a social construction on a par with myth, superstition, religion, and political orientation, which are therefore entitled to the same respect, prestige and funding as science.