Thread: Craigslist Project for $900

Default Craigslist Project for $900

If anyone is interested in taking over a mostly completed wood boat build this is the link. For $900 it seems like a good deal.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/d/portland-165-semi-dory-project/7317727961.html

Default Re: Craigslist Project for $900

Dang. Wrong coast, or it would be mine.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

If I were advising the seller... I'd let her know that selling a partially complete boat is a challenge. Most times, one is lucky to get back the cost of the materials. Lots and lots of times, one ends up giving the project away just to clear room in their lives to accommodate new circumstances. The one thing he has going for him is that the boat is being built at RiversWest... a hotbed of small boat aficionados.

So, to the potential buyer, I'll say... $900 is more than I'd probably spend for that boat. Nothing wrong with the boat. It's just that's not the price my understanding of the market suggests.

One of the ever-present issues in buying a partially-complete boat is the quality of construction. One can look, but can't always see everything. Quality of materials is a bit easier to discern. As to the craftsmanship, you might go to the next RW Saturday Open House and ask the folks who have watched the build. My friend Randy is currently building a Tolman in an adjacent bay, and would be a good source, if he's been watching.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

How many boats would be worth more money if they were never even built.
    Imagine the value a trailer load of rough mahogany boards that went into Chris Craft Constelations ,

You do have a point there Bruce.

If it's a good job it's a deal for someone that wants that design.

That's a handsome looking boat? What is it?
    If it came with all the material used to build it it could be a deal. As I am discovering with my boat (someone else's home build) ONe often discovers many small things that one would have done a lot differently. In this instanace if the basic build so far was sound one could appoint it however one wanted.
    If it wasn't currently in the wrong country I would be intrigued