Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Help wanted, a common theme.

Default Help wanted, a common theme.

On my last trip I saw the same sort of signs in Charlotte and Saint Louis.

7C10C56C-B28E-451E-BE16-71528F0DBABA.jpg

Ate at the bar both times to get served quicker after the hostess told me “it would be awhile to get served”. I asked if they were short of servers. They were.
    Speaking with the bartenders it was apparent it was very difficult to get people to come to work. All the restaurants were busy at lunch.

On the one had we read that unemployment is up, and on the other jobs are going unfilled.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Help wanted, a common theme.

Underpaid jobs are going unfilled.
    What color are their hands now?

Isn't there supposed to be an Invisible Hand that adjusts the market price of goods, wages, etc.?

Figment's right.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    or, biden's goddamn welfare program pays too well
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

One footnote could be that the job is adequately paid but the staff can't work because of pandemic-shortage of childcare options.

Poor wages and the chance to interact with lots of unmasked numpties, who could turn that down?
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Bingo.

Of course, maybe all the peons just finally took the advice and got better jobs?

One footnote could be that the job is adequately paid but the staff can't work because of pandemic-shortage of childcare options.
    Oops. Double bingo!

We certainly DO roll in the same circles.

Lynda and I went out to dinner last night to celebrate both our birthdays. Place was busy, but we had reservations. Service was slow. Clearly short staffed. Had to go to the bar to get her another glass of wine after the waiter went AWOL.
    Bar Tender look confused, explained to her why I was back. She apologized and said it was very difficult to get quality staff to come back to work.
    I was talking to a neighbor about this while walking the dogs this morning. He and his wife have had similar experiences both here and in Madison WI where their daughters live. He said if he had a restaurant now he’d put the menus online. Order from your phone at the table. Pay as you go. Then you’d only need food runners. Save on staff and no tipping.
    The market will dictate.

Hospitality is double-whammied right now because the usual summer wave of temporary work visas isn't happening.

Unemployment isn’t up, but I know you don’t read a damn thing that doesn’t feed your confirmation bias.

a dying low paid industry that abuses its workers is short for labor? Cry me a river.

But instead of looking at themselves, it’s gonna be “blame unemployment insurance” so they can advertise they are crap businesses to customers. Because if your workers don’t want to come back, that’s on you.
    Last edited by Hugh Conway; 05-06-2021 at 09:03 AM.

Maybe workers in other fields will behave the same way.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    or, biden's goddamn welfare program pays too well
    Pick a state, any state, you gonna argue that the huge raft of unfilled jobs is because unemployment is to nice? Here’s one
    https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LASS...de_graphs=true
    same crap jobs are unfilled here as they have been for years.

LFPR is down everywhere, substantially, and if you are on unemployment you count in the labor force.

We have temporary foreign workers in Canada too - farm workers and fish plant workers. Cleaning staff. Etc. And we have people on longer term work visas - nurses, home care staff, child care workers, etc.

There's a theme here, and the theme isn't "they're taking away our jobs, dammit." The theme has to do with wages, working conditions, the price Canadians are willing to pay for stuff, and the disparity of the 1st and 3rd worlds.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Here in SW Nova, the shortage is in boatyard labour. In a recent conversation with a boat shop owner, he estimated that there are over a hundred vacancies in the local boat shops. Most are low-level labour jobs ('glassers, carpenters, general labourers, etc.), but also mechanics, electricians, machinists. Yes, this is working with The Other Stuff. Most youngsters with skills want to go to the big city with all the entertainments, bars, etc., and not be trapped in a region of scenic fishing villages, mostly deserted white sand beaches, good hunting and fishing within a half-hour drive, moderate housing prices, and lots of work availability. The guy I was speaking with is trying to arrange for a half-dozen Mexican & Central American guest workers to come to his shop because he can't find anybody locally. Makes me crazy just thinking about it.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

None of you are going to wait tables for that money.

None of you.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    None of you are going to wait tables for that money.

None of you.
    I did back in high school. It’s part of the reason I went to college.
    Possibly the entire concept of a waiter will go the way of elevator operators and gas station attendants (NJ and OR excepted?). A hostess seats you, food/drink runner brings your order and a bus person cleans the table afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Possibly the entire concept of a waiter will go the way of elevator operators and gas station attendants (NJ and OR excepted?). A hostess seats you, food/drink runner brings your order and a bus person cleans the table afterwards.
    god i hope not; and kinda doubt at the restaurants kat and i mostly enjoy

Cool Re: Help wanted, a common theme.

Who do you complain to, when there's a fly in your soup?

Last edited by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All; 05-06-2021 at 10:02 AM.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Just guessing the restaurant you just went to wasn’t staffed by high school kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All View Post
    Who do you complain to, when there's a fly in your soup?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Just guessing the restaurant you just went to wasn’t staffed by high school kids.
    It’s a common trope. Easy to dismiss professionals that way.

Mechanics get the same short shrift, especially if they “only” work on push bikes. You want fun? Walk away from a dude who thinks his money makes him awesome; when you’re the only one in town who can fix his stuff.

And the other guy who offers has to ask to borrow the tools you made.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Holy crap. Did I just invent a new type of graffiti, or has it already been done?

Or people don't want to risk getting sick if they work indoors.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

The other side of this coin is MANDATORY time away form work for people exhibiting symptoms. In California, it’s a 14 day quarantine for exposed employees.

So, how is a business supposed to stay fully staffed with employees that MUST quarantine? Many businesses are scrambling for many reasons.

I waited tables through university, seasonal mostly - though I stayed on p/t through a couple of winters. It's certainly a mistake to consider it unskilled work, because the resolutely unskilled people got fired. But for me, it was a huge incentive to go back to school each year.

Of the several restaurants I worked in over the years, 2 at least were run by genuine crooks. A Lebanese place (oh- the WONDERFUL food!!) was almost certainly a front for a few types of criminality, at a time when Lebanon was a very unsafe place, but a good port to ship some things and people in/out of. We were always paid in cash, out of the till. The "manager" couldn't manage for sh!t, and kept her job mostly because she was the (very) decorative girlfriend of the older son, who seemed to manage most of the real business at some of the out-of-the-main-view tables.

I think that anywhere there's a large amount of a business' work handled in cash, especially where tips are part of it, there's room for people to set up side-businesses and money laundering. Sure was true in that place.

Right.

Nobody wants to DO the job, but we expect the people who do to be chipper and treat the “guest” like a real guest.

GTFOOH. You paid for food, not servitude. As if serving makes a person lesser. Come serve me! And do it well, or you won’t get a small tip! Servant!

See? Restaurants allow us all to play Lord Of The Manor, with a butler to butle. Puke.

Quite the opposite, but our social mores are barf.

I know both business owners with staff shortages and employees who are staying unemployed on purpose. In many cases, the combined state and federal unemployment is less than what they were earning at the job. But, staying home for 75-percent pay seems like a better deal than having to show up for work.

Too, there are those gaming the system by collecting UI and working a cash job. They are doing better than when employed, though like the wealthy and corporations, are not paying their fair share of taxes.

Kevin

Edit To Add: I also know business owners who took payroll protection money for employees that are no longer showing up. That money got pocketed as it is not expected to need to be paid back( or paid back at such a low rate as to be, " free.")

K
    Last edited by Breakaway; 05-06-2021 at 11:28 AM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

What a novel concept, I wonder if it’s ever been tried before?
    Last edited by Hugh Conway; 05-06-2021 at 10:42 AM.

It is interesting how the pandemic has revealed things about our nature.

Remember the memes in March 2020 about how our parents and grandparents fought during WWll—and all we have to do is stay inside and watch Netflix?

And of course the commercials celebrating our brave essential workers—the grocery clerks and cashiers, the food service workers, the delivery drivers...

Now things are opening up but people can’t be bothered to get vaccinated or wear masks anymore, and we still want to pay our service workers like crap.

Jeff C

Was it Napoleon who quipped how useful a bit of ribbon and some metal were? Clapping was no different. People want an underclass, and love bitching about their neighbor who might, be getting an unfair advantage somewhere, while they enable others to really screw them over.

Classi policy failure by personal anecdote.

Right.

Nobody wants to DO the job, but we expect the people who do to be chipper and treat the “guest” like a real guest.

GTFOOH. You paid for food, not servitude. As if serving makes a person lesser. Come serve me! And do it well, or you won’t get a small tip! Servant!

See? Restaurants allow us all to play Lord Of The Manor, with a butler to butle. Puke.

Quite the opposite, but our social mores are barf.
    I expect good service at any restaurant that offers table service.

I don't do well with slackers.

On the other hand, about 80% of the time I tip in the 40-50% range.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I expect good service at any restaurant that offers table service.

I don't do well with slackers.

On the other hand, about 80% of the time I tip in the 40-50% range.

Great. So, two very vague and subjective measures of performance, and they’d better be met, or the wage is affected immediately.

This system should be employed across the board, eh?

We live in a Veruca Salt world.

Great. So, two very vague and subjective measures of performance, and they’d better be met, or the wage is affected immediately.

This system should be employed across the board, eh?

We live in a Veruca Salt world.
    Uhhh . . .

I very rarely tip less than 15%.

Signed,

Scrooge McDuck

P.S. There are a few places in town where the 'gratuity' is forbidden.

These places seem to have better wait staff.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Uhhh . . .

I very rarely tip less than 15%.

Signed,

Scrooge McDuck

P.S. There are a few places in town where the 'gratuity' is forbidden.

These places seem to have better wait staff.
    Recognizing that you are a good egg, what percentage of the population do you think is similar?

The PS says it all. Knowing there is a liveable wage at the end of a long day makes work less stressful and more pleasant. Of course, someone who’s just a waiter shouldn’t want to fly to Europe or own a nice car or a home.

They’re just waiters. They should get real jobs, if they want a living wage.

And, that is how subtle this **** is.

Us/them goes deeper and is more ingrained than want to imagine. We like to think we’re not programmed.