Thread: An Ilur in the Kawarthas

Default An Ilur in the Kawarthas

Hello all. I thought I would start a new thread that will track my build progress for the Classic Ilur I am building. I have used the same thread nomenclature as others have used. I am 5 months in so I won’t go right back to the beginning. Here are some of the more recent pictures showing progress and what I am working on right now. Just finished making some plastic bushings for the centerboard and centreboard trunk and am now beginning to fit the gunwales.
    .275050BE-04A9-450D-B7A5-529E5C528A45.jpgF94A4140-C92F-403B-85AB-B1637B85AE4F.jpg309CCF74-9EE6-433A-9E87-4B3E2CDC04FD.jpg8E878265-83FE-4838-8682-3C71D6A6CE9A.jpg8CD12AB3-4CC7-4CCD-A832-9008F354C07D.jpg

Default Re: An Ilur in the Kawarthas

Testing the fit of the rub rail.0894E961-4AC5-4B5D-B720-BA1C4302AC40.jpg

That is looking sweet!
    I'll be following.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Hi Monroe, what a great looking boat. I wish I had seen those side/top clamps you’re using to hold down the rub rail. I could have used them.

First rub rail is on without too much problem. Difficult to get the length exactly right and I cut it a wee bit short while fitting the bow end. I will have to do some patchwork. Here’s to hoping the port side is a better fit.
    6B3322A1-E5D8-42CF-AD0A-1821930FFD43.jpg

Lovely looking build :-) You are not alone when it comes to judging the length of the gunwale - it's a tricky job........ Interesting to notice the difference between Ian (Oughtred) and Francois designs. I just built Iain's Gannet design (14.5 feet LOA) and it has no ribs at all in it whereas the picture above show 9 ribs each side. Or were the ribs added to the design by you Munroe? I did add ribs to a 5.2 metre glued clinker hull I built (6 each side) but that was because I wanted to learn how to steam and laminate spotted gum. I know now and am unlikely to repeat the exercise because it hurts the hands doing all that bend and twist, especially the twist up fwd really got me...............

Nice build though Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neil.henderson View Post
    Lovely looking build :-) You are not alone when it comes to judging the length of the gunwale - it's a tricky job........ Interesting to notice the difference between Ian (Oughtred) and Francois designs. I just built Iain's Gannet design (14.5 feet LOA) and it has no ribs at all in it whereas the picture above show 9 ribs each side. Or were the ribs added to the design by you Munroe? I did add ribs to a 5.2 metre glued clinker hull I built (6 each side) but that was because I wanted to learn how to steam and laminate spotted gum. I know now and am unlikely to repeat the exercise because it hurts the hands doing all that bend and twist, especially the twist up fwd really got me...............

Nice build though Neil
    The ribs are part of the “classic” build. They could have been steam bent in or laminated. I chose to laminate them using the station forms as a base for the forms to laminate the frames.
    C24E4496-CF45-4E46-9937-8354FAC651F4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by neil.henderson View Post
    Lovely looking build :-) You are not alone when it comes to judging the length of the gunwale - it's a tricky job........
    I built a different boat--Don Kurylko's "Alaska" design based on a whitehall-type hull--and he had an ingenious solution for this. The strongback, molds, and backbone were all set up as usual before planking, but with a temporary transom with notches cut out for the inner gunwale--the molds each had notches for the inner gunwale, too.

So, with molds/temporary transom in place, the 3-layer inner gunwales are laminated in place, running through the transom notches. It was simple to then cut them off flush with the inner face of the transom, leaving perfectly accurate-length gunwales.

Next, remove the inner gunwales for later installation (actually, I think I planked over them, well covered in tape so no epoxy got in, and removed them after flipping), you just replace the temporary MDF transom (with notches) with the real transom, and plank it. Much later on, when it was time to install the inner gunwales, they were waiting, cut to the perfect length and pre-bent. The only (minor) drawback is, you have to store them someplace while you plank up. Oh, and one more potential minor drawback...

Not thinking much at all, I built my "real" transom just like I built the temporary MDF transom. Complete with notches for the gunwales...

Oops. Had to build a SECOND "real" transom without notches. But once I quit doing stupid things like that, I thought it was a pretty ingenious method to make getting the right length on the inwales idiot-proof. Probably the only boat I built that didn't need a bit of a filler glued in to fill a gap!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Nice to see!

I'm not far away from you, near Barrie ON.

Dave

I lived in Muskoka (Bracebridge area) for 14 years and in Barrie for 3.

It seems that builds that look similar can be very different and require a different approach. The Ilur has about 4 ways it can be built, kit form, classic carvel planking, classic lapstrake planking with steam bent ribs and the same with laminated ribs. Mine is the latter. All very interesting indeed.

I cut the third layer, port side a wee bit short, too. You can just see a tiny shim here to make up the gap.
    aft.jpg

Front came out ok though, using the saw kerf method. Don Kurylko's strategy seems smart. This is a tricky part of a build.
    fore.jpg

Mike

Mike,
    These are things only the builder will see. I think its called creating a unique example of the craft. ��

Welcome Munroe.
    Good to see you here.

Thanks Wayne.

I have made quite a bit of progress in the last week. I got the centerboard case epoxied in and began fitting the bulkheads more closely, as well as the main floor carlins. I am not fastening any of this in place right yet as I want to flip the hull back upside down and get it painted before adding too much more weight. I am not going to flip it though until I get the gunwales glued in - which I did just yesterday. Fitting the plywood bulkheads and other plywood members gives me an appreciation for the cnc accuracy of the kit form of this boat. Cut, trial fit, cut, fit, cut, etc, etc, etc.
    F4C05DCF-E744-47B1-BC5D-B5497112296B.jpgB384DC8A-830A-4C23-BC0D-CEE588DE4077.jpg6084B5ED-5FA2-4152-82F8-5FBC1E736DC9.jpg

Plenty of timber in those inwales & gunwales - no chance of those cracking! Please don't do what I did & finish the boat to find the centreboard case leaked where it meets the keelson (due to insufficient squeeze out). Have a really good look at it now whilst you have the chance would be my suggestion..................
    Nice boat btw...............

Thanks Neil,
    I remembered your post in Wayne’s thread (I think that’s where it was) about the leak and when I epoxied it in I made double sure there was epoxy squeezing out all round. I am turning it over again in the next day or so to paint the bottom and one of the first things I will have to do is take a file to all the squeeze out the dripped into the slot.

Ready to flip it back over and start prepping for paint. You can see my lifting device. I will put down a big foam mattress and roll it over before liting it again and putting it down on stands.

5FE5FF51-B1EF-4339-B483-2409B4636FFF.jpgF0BD7FA9-0B59-45CA-BD72-AC78F5C72C6A.jpg

Glad to hear you have the squeeze out all round the centreboard case :-)

Regards Neil

Flipped back over and mostly sanded. Getting ready to start painting tomorrow.

BBD1BA88-724E-4CEF-9B5C-80E40DC3A8EC.jpg

It is really hard to show any real progress in pictorial form when all you are doing is sanding. I put on two coats of primer, sanding in between coats, and didn’t bother taking pictures. The sanding was laborious. The primer I used would not lay down. I put it on with a roller and tipped it with a bristle brush. I think I should have used a foam brush because it left brush strokes that needed a lot of sanding to smooth out. Anyway, got the first coat of topcoat on today. I will be using an accent colour on the sheer strake before its done.

B93BAED4-F1F6-4366-A5AD-D2C40DA1FA85.jpg

Looking good Munroe. A light sand will sort anything. I'd highly recommend a foam brush for tipping.

What a nice looking paint job. what color are you thinking for the sheer plank?

Quote Originally Posted by davidladd View Post
    What a nice looking paint job. what color are you thinking for the sheer plank?
    It is a sort of coffee colour ( single cream)
    It should make a nice transition from the off white hull and the varnished mahogany gunwales. It will also go nicely with the tanbark colour sail.

The boat is looking great. Love the color. Will you be putting a brass keel band on the bottom? I ask as I am currently trying to source some in the area and am not having much luck. I am building an Ilur clinker in Pontypool. Have the hull built and will have it in primer in the next week.
    Thanks very much
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nickh View Post
    The boat is looking great. Love the color. Will you be putting a brass keel band on the bottom? I ask as I am currently trying to source some in the area and am not having much luck. I am building an Ilur clinker in Pontypool. Have the hull built and will have it in primer in the next week.
    Thanks very much
    Nick
    I just finished the final paint on the outside of the hull and will be installing the brass keel band next. I bought the stock from Kawartha Metals in Peterborough, which is just a half hour away from me. Still need to drill and countersink it for screws. There are a number of metal warehouse dealers in Ontario. There is at least one in north east Toronto. Can’t remember the name right now. The most pricy piece of brass was the 9/16” rod. I had to buy a 12’ length @ $22.50 a foot. I have 8’ left for sale. Lol.

Thanks for that, I will give them a call Monday. I have already tried a couple metal suppliers but they did not have any half oval stock, hopefully Kawartha does.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickh View Post
    Thanks for that, I will give them a call Monday. I have already tried a couple metal suppliers but they did not have any half oval stock, hopefully Kawartha does.
    I didn’t buy half oval as I couldn’t find that either. I bought 3/4 x 1/4 flat bar stock.