Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Constructive shaming

Default Re: Constructive shaming

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Oh, I was thinking of Rob's neighbour the Shaman. There are actual Shaman guys, who can be quite constructive in that frame of being ... and then the other kind. Several other kinds, actually.
    Oh, heís something, Brother.

The story of how he became a shaman isnít one Iíll share here. Itís kooky, and I donít feel like being a jerkoff in class, today, defending the beliefs of my friends.
    Suffice to say they are Hmong people, and not Christians, so they donít believe like most people here.

Which, to me, doesnít make their beliefs wrong or bad.

Uncle has given me much advice, and I enjoy being able to be around him. Heís very ďin tuneĒ with the world. Heís a holy guy, there is no doubt. In my childish mind.

I also think that Covid 19 will be mostly gone by April. The vaccine plus a few more naturally immune during eleven months should do it.
    /Erik

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Oh, heís something, Brother.

The story of how he became a shaman isnít one Iíll share here. Itís kooky, and I donít feel like being a jerkoff in class, today, defending the beliefs of my friends.
    Suffice to say they are Hmong people, and not Christians, so they donít believe like most people here.

Which, to me, doesnít make their beliefs wrong or bad.

Uncle has given me much advice, and I enjoy being able to be around him. Heís very ďin tuneĒ with the world. Heís a holy guy, there is no doubt. In my childish mind.
    wait?! this is a christian site???
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Huh. I've seen nothing to suggest that will happen.

What'cha got?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    wait?! this is a christian site???
    Whether or not one believes, our society and culture are based on puritanical Christianity. In theory, because, do as I say.

Still. It ainít the same.

I look forward to chatting about it ... elsewhere.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Offed by a CVS covid vaccine...

????

CVS is a huge national chain of pharmacy’s that is now offering the Pfizer Covid Vaccination

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 8.59.22 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 05-05-2021 at 11:07 AM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

locally, Sam's and Walmart are offering vax's - without appointment. Of course, those who wanted one, already have.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Vax on, vax off.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

on my way to get my second dose

see you losers later

erm, loser

Sorry, it was a joke. You typed offed rather than offered.
    Oh you must be new here I've been making typos & misspelling since Feb 2002 AKA known as the time of Don[n]

Hey speaking of the cranky, merlot drinking spelling nazi anyone hear from Don[n] for all our misgivings I kinda miss the O&O chairman ?

sam represents a special kind of ignorance, on two levels. . .

willfully, and gleefully contrarian

i don't think you can reach him through normal methods

somebody close to him will have to die from the virus to open a wedge in his mind

Im pretty sure Sam will be one of those fools screaming itís a hoax as heís incubated.

I find the bilge typo police brigade hilarious - do none of you fools know of smartphone autocorrect errors?

I sort of expected to hear from the donn at the anniversary of the Kent state killings. He had mentioned that was a "coming of age" moment for him as a Marine, he was protecting his "favorite building" by beating on college children.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Sam, I am a Liberal; that is to say, I find JS Mill’s book “On Liberty”, published in London in 1850, a useful guide to conduct.
    Given the failure of Liberalism to preserve its own society*, I rather doubt its practical utility.

... Over himself, over his body and mind, the individual is sovereign”.
    Which means you have no grounds to complain at "my body, my choice" decision. Thanks!
    Which means that so far as I am concerned you are at liberty to dispense entirely with the services of the medical profession, if you so wish.
    Let me tell you of my most recent Dr's visit. They weighed me scientifically and celebrated - were almost giddy - that I'm "in the green zone for BMI"
    But then concern set in. "A thyroid problem might be responsible for that so we should do more blood work." (Insurance harvesting = Kaching!)
    Now if a thyroid problem were responsible for a modest weight reduction, why would anyone want to fix it?
    It happens that I hadn't lost even an oz. But I didn't have the heart to disappoint them. All I did was to come in with empty pockets. No attempt is ever made to account for that - even in winter when people often wear heavy coats. But it's very scientific.

By the same token, you are not at Liberty to spread Covid19. So you must continue to wear a mask and distance yourself from others.

Thank you.
    You too aren't paying attention. AGAIN... I ALWAYS WEAR A MASK IN PUBLIC. Got it now?
    And AGAIN - if masks work, how are you at risk?
    And if people refuse to wear masks, why do you care if they run the 1 in 600 (in the US) risk of dying? Oh wait... masks don't work - obviously.
    Andrew, you Normies** are simply in an untenable position. If masks worked there would be no concern for people wearing masks. If the vaccines work, there's no need for concern about others who don't wear masks and no need to wear one anyway.
    So far I've not seen anything like an explanation of that problem. What I have seen is selective appeals to authority and personal insults.
    Yes, I understand that's exactly what to expect when people have no answers to objections to a regnant orthodoxy... but really? Can't you do any better than that?

*Evidence abounds - "Allahu akbar!"

** We can always trust the authorities. They love us and want what's best for us. That's normal.

That's because you don't want to see an explanation - it interferes with your ongoing diatribe.

Your problem* - you allowing your need for 'perfection' to undermine an appreciation of 'it's purty darn good!'.

*carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I sort of expected to hear from the donn at the anniversary of the Kent state killings. He had mentioned that was a "coming of age" moment for him as a Marine, he was protecting his "favorite building" by beating on college children.
    Yes the Kent State killings were a pivotal moment for many in my generation. It proved that your government will kill you*.
    Sadly, as they aged many simply switched sides and now are government stooges, dupes and tattle tales.

* Ruby Ridge, Waco, and Gulf War II did the same for many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam F View Post
    Which means you have no grounds to complain at "my body, my choice" decision. Thanks!
    So that means you are for woman’s reproductive rights and the rights of women to have sovereignty over their choice to terminate an unwanted pregnancy. AKA "my body, my choice" decision. Thanks!

if masks work, how are you at risk?
    As I recall, years ago Sam also appeared to have no grasp of odds, or statistics, or the idea that something other than 'yes' or 'no' might be the most accurate answer to a question.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Sam F View Post
    Sadly, as they aged many simply switched sides and now are government stooges, dupes and tattle tales.
    you left out narcs

I did not contradict myself.

I said that we are now getting data on its effectiveness in preventing transmission of the virus.

I made no statement on what conclusions are being drawn from that data.
    OK, present the data that the vaccine works and that's why the vaccinated need to wear masks.

You quoted the hind end of my statement, and didn't include the beginning.

Please correct your post.
    What's to correct? You know what you posted and so do I. Anyone can read it. I merely edited for brevity and to focus on your contradictions.
    The problem is yours.

I have copy edited several hundred scientific manuscripts, and peer-reviewed many hundreds more, if you would like my service regarding the interpretation, and misinterpretation of scientific statements.
    I don't care. Being an "expert" is practically grounds for disbelief in anything you say.
    Scientists themselves have examined the reliability of their own findings, and have come to some sobering conclusions. Take medical research, which has been especially well-scrutinized. About two-thirds of the findings published in top medical journals end up being refuted within a few years.

As much as 90% of medical knowledge has been gauged to be substantially or completely wrong. We spend about $95 billion annually on medical research in the US, but average life span here has barely increased since 1978 — and most of the improvement was due to the drop in smoking rates. The picture of expert trustworthiness is no better or even worse in most other fields. One examination of published economics findings concluded that the wrongness rate is essentially 100%. In that light, is it surprising that we weren’t as well-protected as we thought from investment and banking system disasters?
    David H. Freedman is the author of “Wrong: Why Experts Keep Failing Us — and How to Know When Not to Trust Them”
    BTW, it's called the Replication Crisis in science. You know about that, don't you?

And there you have it - 'ya can't trust the educated/experts'.

Got it.

(Your expert seems.... not. Career gadfly.)
    Last edited by George Jung; 05-05-2021 at 12:19 PM.

you left out narcs
    Oh yeah! Wait until they start ratting out POC's for menthol in their cigs. Now that pot is legal, they'll need something to do so we can have a menthol Eric Garner killed for selling loosies.
    That'll be GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    And there you have it - 'ya can't trust the educated/experts'.

Got it.
    Evidence free again.
    George, you didn't address my post, or did I miss it?
    And did you miss how credentialism is of limited value?
    Last edited by Sam F; 05-05-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Binary thinking again. 'Credentialism is of limited value', not unreasonable, becomes 'Being an "expert" is practically grounds for disbelief in anything you say.", quite absurd.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

sam represents a special kind of ignorance, on two levels. . .

willfully, and gleefully contrarian

i don't think you can reach him through normal methods

somebody close to him will have to die from the virus to open a wedge in his mind
    Just noticed this... I already had a relative who died the same day as her 2nd vaccine dose.
    So no, that didn't work out like you thought it would.

This goes here again

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Binary thinking again. 'Credentialism is of limited value', not unreasonable, becomes 'Being an "expert" is practically grounds for disbelief in anything you say.", quite absurd.
    Again - evidence free. Fact is that twodot was pulling rank because he's an "expert": "I have copy edited* several hundred scientific manuscripts, and peer-reviewed many hundreds more".
    Absent evidence that I'm wrong, l I don't care. It's irrelevant.
    How's this for "binary"? Just refute the evidence that experts are almost always wrong.
    Come on Keith, you can do it!

*Like since when is "copy editing" a science?

Except that you aren't describing your relative's co-morbidities, and why it might just be a coincidence due to your relative's mental and physical health status, and why it might not be relevant.
    She was old. You're hurting your "expert" status. Comorbidities are WHY YOU GET THE VACCINE! DUH!

This is sad:
    "...somebody close to him will have to die from the virus to open a wedge in his mind"

I already had a relative who died the same day as her 2nd vaccine dose.

You all can't figure out that the first statement is absolutely refuted by the second?

It's called the Replication Crisis in science.
    No, sounds like right wing information. What is it?
    So you haven't heard of it. That figures, you're an "expert".
    Or you might try Google:
    "The replication crisis (also called the replicability crisis and the reproducibility crisis) is an ongoing methodological crisis in which it has been found that many scientific studies are difficult or impossible to replicate or reproduce. The replication crisis most severely affects the social sciences and medicine."

Thanks for proving yet another point!

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Sam used to be mildly interesting.

Im not interested in someone who says we should trust no authorities. Except ones we want to trust. Because they confirm our biases.

Get ready for a decade of this insanity. Make no mistake, malign conservative authoritarians want to undercut ideas provable by science or engineering in favor of dogma-driven ďtruthsĒ. Sam is already a citizen of the post-truth world which is expanding.

It is obvious that the vaccine works to prevent serious illness and death. You should know that.
    So if vaccinated, you don't need a mask. That's obvious.
    And you still haven't explained why, if vaccinated, you should care if someone doesn't wear a mask - since if vaccination works, masks aren't needed to protect you. That's obvious too.

As for the vaccine reducing transmission such that a mask is not necessary, please show some patience.
    Now vaccines might, in a non-binary way, sort of work some of the time and sometimes not work at all. Therefore, you'd still need a mask But that's not what's being claimed for the vaccines. (That is, if masks worked, but they don't. If they worked, people who wear them would remain unconcerned about the unvaccinated).

Here's binary thinking for you: The vaccine works or it doesn't . Which is it?

Stuart Stevens predicted a similar timeline on the most recent Lincoln Project podcast - in which they were discussing the Liz Cheney purge. Said that it would in his opinion now be a large surprise were the former guy or his then designated heir to NOT be the Rep (or successor party) candidate in '24, with a repeat in '28 too. A decade of this craziness anyway.

That figures, you're an "expert".

Please don't use fictional quotes as straw men.
    Oh? You don't claim to be an copy editor and peer reviewer expert of scientific papers? Please then, what are you?
    A fiction writer?

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Prepare for the howling mob to howl louder and longer Tom.

This is tribal revenge, and anything resembling a contrary authority must be destroyed not purged.