Thread: new White Oak keel

Default new White Oak keel

recently finished roughing out a new white oak keel 14 ft x 10 inch max width x 1 3/4 inch thickness for a rebuild project i have been working on for years now (it's a long story) I got the white Oak timber a little over a year ago, sealed the ends and let it sit in an unheated garage for a year with minimal checking . In the past month I have been able to run it thru a planner and rough it out (original was 16 ft x 12 x 2). It will be a while before I can finial fit this to the boat, thinking I should treat this with something for stability, shellac maybe? other suggestions?

thanks in advance
    Rick

Default Re: new White Oak keel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick E View Post
    recently finished roughing out a new white oak keel 14 ft x 10 inch max width x 1 3/4 inch thickness for a rebuild project i have been working on for years now (it's a long story) I got the white Oak timber a little over a year ago, sealed the ends and let it sit in an unheated garage for a year with minimal checking . In the past month I have been able to run it thru a planner and rough it out (original was 16 ft x 12 x 2). It will be a while before I can finial fit this to the boat, thinking I should treat this with something for stability, shellac maybe? other suggestions?

thanks in advance
    Rick
    Hello Rick,
    Welcome aboard. . . hope to see your postings as your build comes along.

Rick, we've used white oak extensively in our build and it's held up well as bottom strakes on our flat bottomed boat, Night Heron. We've also used it for rub rails, sole grates, door frames and jambs. So, our advice is simple - use copious amounts of penetrating epoxy to seal the white oak and apply a finish or coating as required for it's final application.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

J.
    "Ships are the nearest thing to dreams that hands have ever made." Robert N. Rose

I'm a fan of shellac or oiling the face grain while storing but definitely use anchorseal on the ends. keep it out of the sun.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

So it's not too late to lam it from AYC ?

I Appreciated the input - Anchor seal on the ends and Shellac it is. Wizbang I am not sure i understand your question, keel is already cut from white oak

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I just feel there are few boats better off with oak than lammed AYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick E View Post
    I Appreciated the input - Anchor seal on the ends and Shellac it is. Wizbang I am not sure i understand your question, keel is already cut from white oak
    That is the way I would go, no need for that epoxy stuff.

Shellac will do it. Adjust the cut; really thin for the end grain, a little heavier for the face grain. Easily renewed, cheap, reliable and wont pose any problems later on no matter what you decide to finish it with.

thanks for the clarification Wizbang, and everyone else for there input