Thread: Rough Water

Default Rough Water

Sooner or later - everything winds up in the ocean.

I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Default Re: Rough Water

Do not underestimate the power of water running wild.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Impressive representation of how much material moving water can move.

Don't read French - but apparently this is in the mountains of Switzerland?

I picture a big landslide. Or maybe a wildfire. Something that bared a lot of open dirt in a traditional drainage.

Then a big rainstorm that created a flash flood thru all that bared or piled dirt.

In our desert SW, such events have been happening for millennia. All those dry gulches become torrents when there's a big storm in the mountains. And get sluiced out. Often, the rain happens so far away someone in the gulch doesn't even know a storm is/was going on. It's how our Grand Canyon was created. But that was a large quantity of new muck being moved out of that waterway.

A good reminder.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

creative destruction
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

That was impressive!

In '76 Vermont got hit by a hurricane - or at least the tail end of it. Rain like you could not believe. Near me was a river (creek by midwestern standards) that went through a gorge. Normally, where it entered the gorge it was about 20 ft. wide at the bottom with the water 4 ft deep & the rock faces went up about 90 ft. to road level where it was about 80 ft. wide. After 36 hours of the rain, the water was about 1 ft. below the top of the cliffsides & 1 to 2 ft diameter trees getting tossed around like toothpicks.

I stood a goodly ways away from it! Worst part was 3 months before all the bridges got replaced.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    creative destruction
    Yes, in a way. Not in the original way that Marx & Schumpeter meant... that the 'destruction' would be creative only by completely tearing down the existing system (for them, capitalism - but in this case it'd have to be the natural ecology of the mountain) so it could be replaced by something else (a lake? a fjord? a new mountain range upthrust?). But definitely in the sense that the concept has morphed into over time. A constant turnover of 'improvements' (as vetted by the marketplace) replacing outdated processes/products.

The only distinction is that, in nature, the destruction is often random. Or large enough so as to be beyond our control. In an economy, it's more often related to human striving (or, in some systems, a doomed attempt at rational central planning <G>). The 'improvement' of automobiles, for instance, essentially destroying the entire buggy-whip industry. And reduced the horseshoe/tack/curry comb industries to a ghost of their former selves.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Clear cutting precipitates events like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Clear cutting precipitates events like that.
    Indeed. Unless remediation efforts are made. And if the storm is intense enough... and the cutting recent enough... even than.

Luckily, in the U.S., most jurisdictions now require such remediation.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Reminds me of the little stream I had running through my 1725 saltbox property I had. Some of you will remember how every spring after the snow melt the little stream would become a raging river. I could hear boulders tumbling down towards my too small culvert under the only bridge to my house. The rocks and debris would plug up the too small culvert and then washout the driveway on my side and the road on the other.

It got to the point I would wake up in the middle of the night during a heavy rain in a panic and put on my foulies and run down to the bridge even though there was nothing I could do, except excavate and build a new bridge for $60,000 that I didn't have at the time.

Good times, good times ........ not
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Impressive representation of how much material moving water can move.

Don't read French - but apparently this is in the mountains of Switzerland?

I picture a big landslide. Or maybe a wildfire. Something that bared a lot of open dirt in a traditional drainage.

Then a big rainstorm that created a flash flood thru all that bared or piled dirt.

In our desert SW, such events have been happening for millennia. All those dry gulches become torrents when there's a big storm in the mountains. And get sluiced out. Often, the rain happens so far away someone in the gulch doesn't even know a storm is/was going on. It's how our Grand Canyon was created. But that was a large quantity of new muck being moved out of that waterway.

A good reminder.

I used to visit my in-laws in Palm Springs - FIL said there were 19 golf courses - one was constructed in a 'dry wash' - after a severe storm, as mentioned above, that golf course was swept completely away..

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    That was impressive!

In '76 Vermont got hit by a hurricane - or at least the tail end of it. Rain like you could not believe. Near me was a river (creek by midwestern standards) that went through a gorge. Normally, where it entered the gorge it was about 20 ft. wide at the bottom with the water 4 ft deep & the rock faces went up about 90 ft. to road level where it was about 80 ft. wide. After 36 hours of the rain, the water was about 1 ft. below the top of the cliffsides & 1 to 2 ft diameter trees getting tossed around like toothpicks.

I stood a goodly ways away from it! Worst part was 3 months before all the bridges got replaced.
    The same thing happened when Tropical Storm Irene came through Vermont in 2011. Unbelievable flooding and destruction. Glad I built my house on high ground.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Too wet to plow.

Interesting that there's a pulse to it, every 20 to 30 seconds a wave comes down the upper gully, which moves the bigger rocks downslope, before subsiding into the "normal" rate of torrent flow. Impressive!

Dwedais "Gwirion", nid "Twp"

Very impressive.
    Is it just me, or was everybody waiting for that single large rock to budge?
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

As a matter of coincidence we are having a major thunder storm and downpour with all the lightning and trimmings right now!

So much for 'glacial slowness.'

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Very impressive.
    Not just you!

If they're gonna pour cement down a mountainside, you'd think they'd choose a more consistent size for the aggregate.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Very impressive.
    I think the photographer got tired waiting.

"https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0277379108003296"

"https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0169555X16308492"

"https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2011Geomo.125..421B/abstract"

"https://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/2017/05/31/illgraben-catchment/"

^ all my *hard work, quoting to prevent obfuscation by the forum software, Poof! 0-:

tho others, I am sure, thank you. (-:

*relative, perhaps.. (-:

And to think of how much trouble I had moving an 18 inch “Boulder” around in one of our flower gardens.