Thread: I've moved/New Shops to be built

Default I've moved/New Shops to be built

I recently (well, relatively) bought a new house, with better room for a decent shop.
    It's 150 m2, two storeys, plus basement, plus attic, plus a two car garage.
    I won't show any of the living quarters, but perhaps some of the other spaces will be of interest?
    Also, comments/suggestions are always welcome.
    IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    First off, this will be my sewing room. I have a bunch of (and will get more) those white tables, that I can put away on top of each other when not needed and when needed put next to each other to form a large "table" as infeed and outfeed tables when sewing. I have another table with a "well" that my main sewing machine drops into so as not be a free arm machine anymore.
    The room is large enough to loft most of the projects I plan for, for larger sails I could use the attic floor.

/Mats

Diagnosed with autism. Sorry, not much I can do about it.

Default Re: I've moved/New Shop to be

The garage is pretty simple, but there's room for both storing my 19' double ender and to build a new boat (of course depending on size of boat).
    I think I will have space for storing the steaming stove there too when not in use, but not the steaming box.
    I won't put any stationary machines in the garage, they will be in the basement
    IMG_0886.jpg
    The plastic boat above is only there temporary to get cleaned up and possibly sold, or it will live outside underneath a tarp.

My Internet at home is behaving, or rather it's not, so I'll have to continue tomorrow, from work.

/Mats

Nice! Sounds like about the perfect size. Of course, I'm a "shop hog" so I have a bigger shop...but it's mostly full of junk, so maybe it's not so big after all

Well, the wood shop will be about 8 x 4 m (26' x 13'), and then there's the rigging shop, but more on that tomorrow.

/Mats

Sounds like you bought a workshop with a bunk room attached rather than a house with a workshop!
    looking forward to seeing the rigging shop and wood shop.

Beautiful stove!

St.J,
    Well, except for the room I've dedicated to sewing and the old kitchen (more on that later) I have 150 m2, five rooms + new kitchen + bathroom, of living space...

Thad,
    And I have five of them!

Basement:
    IMG_0887.jpg
    All I've done so far is stuff it with some of my hand tools, this will be my wood work shop.
    The house was built for two families, and they had their shared bathroom here.
    IMG_0888.jpg
    Same room, that plank wall will be taken down, to extend the shop with this
    IMG_0891.jpg
    To the right are plumbing pipes and also a fuse box, I'll enclose that part with a new wall and possibly put a dust extractor there as well, kind of nice to have it in another room methinks.

/Mats

I've changed my mind a couple of times, but this is my current plan to use as a rigging shop.
    IMG_0889.jpg
    All walls and shelves will go down and the outer wall, where the jacket hangs, will be moved a meter or so towards the camera.
    The rooms were originally used for food storage, but I don't really have much use for such a space.

/Mats

The original washing machine; I'm vaguelly considering using it for tan-barking cotton sails.
    IMG_0890.jpg
    Same room. To the right of the boiler, close to the wall, I'll make a hole in the ceiling and build an indoors staircase. Currently I have to go outside to access the basement, which is a bit inconvenient.
    IMG_0894.jpg

The old kitchen. Haven't been touched since the 70-ies when the previous owners moved in.
    I may renovate it to make a new kitchen instead of the current one, but I haven't decided yet.
    IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0896.jpg

/Mats

Very nice. Looks like tons of potential.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

That looks a lot like I remember my grandma's 1850's house after part renovation in the 1930's, and before dad began his in the 1950's. The 'washing machine' was just about the same as your pic.
    It was 2 story Victorian with a small bluestone cellar meant for food storage accessed from under the stairs.

You have a bit of work ahead of you, but the bones are good.

Looks great! Going to be a fun project!

skuthorp,
    The house was built 1927, so makes sense.

It is surprisingly well-built, with good insulation and no sagging floors or other things one may find in a relatively old house.
    I have access to all work shop facilities that I want at my work, so this is a really long term project, and not my top priority. And I like to think things through a lot before springing to action.

For the wood work shop, I think I'll build cabinets for tools storage rather than putting up shelves or the dreadful peg-boards.
    I don't think it's good to have the cabinets stand directly on the concrete floor, how should I do here? Is roofing paper good enough?
    Again, concrete floor. Not very friendly to tools being dropped, and I am quite clumsy at times. Ideally, I'd build a real floor with heating but that's not going to happen; I'll leave it uneaven but i'd like to install some kind of "tool friendly" surface layer. I know there are rubbery thingies that you clip together to make that, but I'm not extremely fond of that kind of floor. What if you drop a drill bit, what about cleaning und so weiter...

/Mats

Looking great Mats! I'd think some roofing felt should be fine for a vapour barrier. I'm not fond of plastics as they "sweat" and you still get moisture migrating into the wood. I have my cabinets on a low plinth of 2 X 4s with felt strips under those. That way if I do get any moisture issues I can pull the (recycled) cabinets off and replace the plinth. Luckily my shop stays pretty dry. I'm not fond of the click together rubbery bits, either but I did break down and get a packet of the EVA foam ones to put under my handwork area. They're light enough that I just pick them up to sweep around and if they get really nasty I can take them outside and hose them off. They're also a little warmer than the concrete and hence a bit easier on arthritic feet.

Things are moving slow, but moving.
    I've bought a thickness planer and built a stand for it, on casters of course.
    (Don't know why the pic turns up sideways)
    IMG_0898.jpg
    I will use the space underneath the planer for storage, for now I only have a drawer.
    I like to use these kinds of projects to practice my skills. Dovetails are really overkill here, but mistakes don't matter as much as if it was a fine furniture project.
    It doesn't really show on the pic but allthough the joints are tight enough to hold without any glue, there are so many and large gaps. I blame the Japanese saw and my (lack of) skill.
    IMG_0899.jpg

/Mats

Nice! I'd say that practice trumps overkill any day. Nice blind dovetails! It's always fun when folks come into your shop and you get to see their eyebrows raise from some detail you'd done "for practice"

It seems I missed this thread back in the spring. Looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Beautiful stove!
    I like the wood stove, too! And you have more of them? I also like the kitchen stove. Is it electric?

I like that original washing machine! Looks like you are going to be mighty confortable there Moshart!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by mohsart View Post
    First off, this will be my sewing room. I have a bunch of (and will get more) those white tables, that I can put away on top of each other when not needed and when needed put next to each other to form a large "table" as infeed and outfeed tables when sewing. I have another table with a "well" that my main sewing machine drops into so as not be a free arm machine anymore.
    The room is large enough to loft most of the projects I plan for, for larger sails I could use the attic floor.

/Mats
    Sail lofts don't bother with no stikin' tables. Just build a well into the floor to sit in.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Is that a tiled 1/4 circular fireplace in the first pic?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Is that a tiled 1/4 circular fireplace in the first pic?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masonry_heater
    It's a very efficient stove since the smoke goes up and down and around so very little heat is lost. If I make a fire in the evening it is still warm when I get up in the morning.
    In many houses they were taken down and thrown away in the 60ies or so because they fell out of fascion and oil was cheap, so I am quite happy only one was treated that way in my house.
    Only two of them are in use, but that's quite enough for me, most often I don't use more that one at a time anyway.

Steve, the stove in the old kitchen i both electric and wood, but not in use. I do plan to install one of these instead once I renovate the new kitchen.

/Mats

Those kitchens are coming back in fashion. I was a bit shocked to find a brand new arrangement in a Danish kitchen manufacturers showroom in Skovde, in bright 70s orange no less, also availiable in blue and yellow! (fit your own brown carpet).

Big house to heat, nice to have the wood option, we use a fan to circulate the heat around.

Interesting project, lots of options for you. Best wishes!

What is the white cylindrical object to the left of the pic?
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Interesting project, lots of options for you. Best wishes!

What is the white cylindrical object to the left of the pic?
    That’s the masonry heater we’ve been discussing.

Steve, the stove in the old kitchen i both electric and wood, but not in use. I do plan to install one of these instead once I renovate the new kitchen.

/Mats
    Wow, I really like that little Husqvarna cookstove! I donít know of any stove like it on the US market. All cookstoves here are massive things.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Wow, I really like that little Husqvarna cookstove! I don’t know of any stove like it on the US market. All cookstoves here are massive things.
    Typically, they were mounted like this or similar, with a huge amount of stone around and underneath to preserve as much heat as possible. Iron was expensive but stone was not.

/Mats

Typically, they were mounted like this or similar, with a huge amount of stone around and underneath to preserve as much heat as possible. Iron was expensive but stone was not.

/Mats

it's called a "smoke shelf" if I remember right. the idea is the fire heats the plate and also helps burn off creosote that drips or condenses out of the combustion gasses and flue pipe.
    Denise, Bristol PA, retired from HVAC business, & boat restoration and building

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    it's called a "smoke shelf" if I remember right. the idea is the fire heats the plate and also helps burn off creosote that drips or condenses out of the combustion gasses and flue pipe.
    I guess you mean the coke fueled variation? Inside the door to where the fuel gets put they had a v-shaped row of rods taking away lots of space for wood if using them as a wood stove. We had one of those in our summer-house when I was a kid, pretty useless.
    On the outside the two variations (coke or wood fuelled) look very similar.
    BTW the top left compartment is for wood, bottom left is for ash, and right is the owen.
    When cooking you remove the plate so the flames hit the pot/pan directly, there are rings you can remove too to use a bigger pot/pan. The iron thingie hanging is used for that.

/Mats

Default Re: I've moved/New Shops to be built

I decided to move the thread, it feels more right here.

/Mats

I bought my first ever bandsaw recently and made a stand for it.
    Pretty much the same design as the stand for the planer, but a bit different joinery.
    IMG_0903.jpg

On a different note, I've been printing out the old issues of Knotting Matters and, since I don't have a long arm stapler, sewing the pages together (much like how books are binded).
    For that, and since I have a bunch of other mags I needed a way to store them.
    I glued up thin plywood pieces to make these, really simple.
    IMG_0904.jpg

/Mats

Wow!
    Denise, Bristol PA, retired from HVAC business, & boat restoration and building

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    That stove is a bit of alright! I know how to cook on one of those as we had one in our mountain cabin and a Shipmante on our boat!
    No worry about a propane explosion!
    Jay

Slow project this is, but it's moving

20210430_212320.jpg
    Floor in the rigging shop, not completed. The rigging bench works as a woodworking bench for now.

20210430_212353.jpg
    Sharpening station. I don't really use grinders, but where else to put them

20210430_212503.jpg
    The new wall, behind which are firewood storage, plumbing pipes, and possibly my lathe.

20210430_212535.jpg
    I took down the pegboards and put up a sheet of ply instead, for now just getting some tools up from the desktop.

20210430_212604.jpg
    Some Ikea style shelves (but better and cheaper) as a temporary way to store stuff

/Mats

Mats, that is a nice, stout bench in the top photo. . . . . I like it

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Mats, that is a nice, stout bench in the top photo. . . . . I like it

Rick
    It's a beast!
    I can hardly move it around, let alone lift it unless I dismount it.
    Still it's too lightweight, so my plan is to put some heavy stuff on the shelf.

/Mats