Thread: Wood for first traditional build

Default Wood for first traditional build

I've built several marine plywood planked boats, but would like to build one of the Lake Oswego boats as a traditional clinker boat. I live in N. Alabama, and need a source ( I know it won't be local) for the planking. I've been away from the forum for a few years building harps, so I need recommendations for which cedar, or AWC, would (affordably) work for this project, and where I can score suitable lengths and quality.

TIA,
    dave boling

I teleported home one night
    With Ron and Sid and Meg.
    Ron stole Meggie's heart away
    And I got Sidney's leg.
    -- Douglas Adams

Default Re: Wood for first traditional build

Interesting that a 'bama fella would pick a NW design. I know someone who bought and restored one. I advised him a bit.

As for lumber... have you located any local sources? If so... link to their lumber choices, and we can advise. If not... then closer is better, because shipping is expensive, and I don't know the suppliers in your region. Nearest one I'm familiar with is Boulter outside of Boston. Or McIlvain in Maryland. Edensaw in Pt. Townsend is one of my sources, but that's about as far away as it gets. Gotta be someone closer. Cedars. Larch. Douglas fir. Old growth cypress maybe.

Oh, look... Glen-L has a list of suppliers by state -- https://www.glen-l.com/resources/lumber-suppliers.html

Good Luck! Post fotos, if you would.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Find someone local, with a small mill in the farmyard. They should point you to someone cutting local wood that would work as well as or better than imported (even from the NW).
    Bald cypress (Taxodium distichum) would be best. The yellow pines would work, albeit heavy. White pine would work also. Tulip popular (Liriodendron tulipifera) might also work. Traditional planking will need 6" wide at best, more like 8-10 inch wide planks.
    Air dried, not kiln dry.

It's a nice, stable, good rowing boat. fairly easy build.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Interesting that a 'bama fella would pick a NW design. I know someone who bought and restored one. I advised him a bit.

As for lumber... have you located any local sources? If so... link to their lumber choices, and we can advise. If not... then closer is better, because shipping is expensive, and I don't know the suppliers in your region. Nearest one I'm familiar with is Boulter outside of Boston. Or McIlvain in Maryland. Edensaw in Pt. Townsend is one of my sources, but that's about as far away as it gets. Gotta be someone closer. Cedars. Larch. Douglas fir. Old growth cypress maybe.

Oh, look... Glen-L has a list of suppliers by state -- https://www.glen-l.com/resources/lumber-suppliers.html

Good Luck! Post fotos, if you would.
    I saw fhe boat when I visited the Wooden Boat Center on Lake Union ten years ago. I had read Tom Jackson's article about the boat,and it looked better in person than in the pictures. I ordered a set of plans, and promptly got distracted for ten years.
    As far as wood goes, I'm set for hardwoods (I've ~200 bd-ft of air dried old growth white oak), but I'm too far north to have any cypress suppliers nearby. As far as the sources on Glen-L's site, the four I've been to have no suitable wood for planking, and their hardwoods are all kiln dried. Looks like I'll be heading further south cypress hunting.
    dave boling

I teleported home one night
    With Ron and Sid and Meg.
    Ron stole Meggie's heart away
    And I got Sidney's leg.
    -- Douglas Adams

What about paulonia for boat that is stored dry? Lighter than cedar, it is highly invasive and grows like a weed, should be available locally.
    Steve Martinsen

These guys in Bessemer, AL, got Western Red Cedar beams. Also cypress. And they it reads like they could resale a cedar beam to be useful for planking stock.

https://www.roylumber.net
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

And these guys in Mobile got Sassafras and Cypress. I think vertical grain sassafras would be a fine wood for lapstrake planking.

http://jubileeswp.com
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I have read that the range of Eastern White Pine runs South along the Blue ridge into Northeast Alabama .I know not all maps of the tree's range show this , but apparently it is being commercially harvested there.

The yards in Chattanooga have it .