Thread: Flywood Canoe Nesting Version

Default Flywood Canoe Nesting Version

I've wanted to build a nesting canoe for a while now, but was not fully satisfied with the looks of nesting boats available. However during my research I came across the awesome work of FloMo, so I decided to cut one of his designs into three pieces (and mess up the beautiful sheet layout...).
    I think I may actually be the first person (?) to build the large version of the flywood canoe/rowboat, however I made a few changes: The waterline beam has been reduced slightly to 75cm, and the sides are less angled, and slightly curved, which is made possible through the bulkheads necessary to be able to bolt the sections together.
    So far, the build goes well, with the mid section almost complete, and the bow section getting folded together (and hopefully not cracking due to my choice of pine plywood...) tomorrow.
    More pictures to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Flywood Canoe Nesting Version

Well done so far - I'm looking forward to seeing more as she progresses.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out too...
    I'm kind of amazed at the sweet curve you got in the center section. Don't quite know how you managed that...
    Good luck going forward.

Over the last weekend there's been a little progress: The bow section's plywood, despite being of the cheapish and stiff kind, has accepted its new life as a bizarrely curved object without a problem. I was surprised of how little tension of the straps was required to hold the shape after it had been folded up - kind of fascinating. After the stitches were in (that proved a little harder, maybe due to the fact that the shape deviates slightly from the plans...), the shape held together by itself, and was epoxied and taped on the inside like the midsection. The curved shape was possible due to the bulkheads. It's only present in that area though, so I am not sure whether I would do it again. In the next step, I'll be glassing the outside of the sections. Concerning the finish, I have planned to only paint the inside as I don't like the thought of having to sand all of it like the outside, especially given the complex shapes with all those bulkheads... I hope that if the inside is dried with a towel after use, that'll be fine. I have also read that epoxy-coating the inside can cause problems when the coat cracks (might happen with the thin floor?) and traps water in the plywood, which leads to more cracks... What would you advise me to do?

IMG_20210502_170221.jpgIMG_20210504_004523.jpgIMG_20210503_000104.jpgIMG_20210504_213000.jpg