Thread: Attaching brass half oval strips (to the Beg-Meil)

Default Attaching brass half oval strips (to the Beg-Meil)

I recently ordered some brass half oval stock. Despite my request, I received it coiled rather than in the (straight) 6 foot lengths I ordered. The supplier said it would be easily straightened once I opened the package. Well, I spent quite a bit of time trying to straighten it, but I cannot get it to lay flat on the hull with fasteners on 8" centers. A couple of questions:

Is this material typically coiled, or is it available straight? (I'm willing to drive to pick it up if necessary.)

Are there any tricks to straightening/installing the strip so that it does not look wavy on the boat?

Please see the photos, below. I feel like the photos don't accurately capture the extent of the issue, but I could not get any better ones.

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

Thanks,

Default Re: Attaching brass half oval strips (to the Beg-Meil)

I've always gotten mine from Jamestown Distributors and it is always shipped straight.
    I can't imagine rolling that stuff and then trying to straighten it out.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Not sure if this is helpful, but I got 316 flat stock from OnlineMetals and it was shipped in a 6ft cardboard tube (now I cant imagine anyone coiling stainless, so perhaps unhelpful).

Cant tell what width youre using. 1/2 or 5/8? If so, Id space fastening 6 or less. That might get it to lie down.

Can you bend it back the other way by wrapping it around something round? You'd have to experiment to determine the radius that would give you a bit of reverse bend so that it really wants to lay flat. I wonder how many times you can mess with it before it cracks.

The stuff I've bought has always been shipped flat. Laying it out on smooth concrete and driving the car down it might work, but metals are fussy about being shaped. I would have sent it back.
    -Dave

Hi All,

Thanks for all the helpful replies. The brass is 1/2" stock. It's very easy bend by hand, but each attempt to flatten one area makes a new, albeit smaller, ripple somewhere else. I tried to straighten it on a flat workbench, but you have to over-bend it to change the shape, so that did not work either.

As soon as Jamestown Distributors opens this morning, I will call them and place an order for straight stock, shipped flat. Next, I'll call the supplier to return the pieces I have not drilled.

Thanks again,

Dean

The initial bending introduced tension within the metal that make it harder to bend it back. Chances are that if you bend it back you introduce other deformities either sideways or in the cross section. To get it straight you need a set of metal rollers to roll a slight re-curve in it, just as much as it bends by stretiing. But if you had something like that lying around you wouldn't be posting here.

Also you can try to bend it each five to ten centimeters in clamping it to the workbench and put some controlled pressure on it at a small (always the same) distance from the bench. This would be tedious and error prone, but a last resort.

Both methods won't work properly if there are holes in it already. If sending it back is still and option i would do so.

Over bend it in the other direction, then your fastenings will press it flat against the boat. Utmost caution at the screw holes though.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanP View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks for all the helpful replies. The brass is 1/2" stock. It's very easy bend by hand, but each attempt to flatten one area makes a new, albeit smaller, ripple somewhere else. I tried to straighten it on a flat workbench, but you have to over-bend it to change the shape, so that did not work either.

As soon as Jamestown Distributors opens this morning, I will call them and place an order for straight stock, shipped flat. Next, I'll call the supplier to return the pieces I have not drilled.

Thanks again,

Dean
    I once bought the rolled bras half oval from Jamestown and was not happy with it. They exchanged it for the straight stock. I believe that six feet is the maximum they will ship, although twelve footers are available elsewhere but shipping can be a problem.

Here's a tip...only drill the holes, not the countersinks. Attach the rail with steel screws and then pull them out one by one and drill the countersinks. If you attempt handling the piece with the countersinks drilled you risk bending the piece.

Here's some good information on installing brass rails...http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...atboat/page157 Scroll down.

Jim

Would heating it gently relieve some of the internal stress?

Brass work hardens, so gets more brittle as you try to straighten it. I have formed half oval over the top of the stem on some of my boats, heat it and it becomes soft again don't heat it and it breaks. Not sure how you would heat the whole 6 feet evenly. Somebody on the forum must know this?
    I get mine flat in 12 foot lengths but I have to buy 10 at a time....

Rgds
    Rick
    oysterbayboats.ca

Well, I decided the strips I had were unacceptable. This time I ordered from Jamestown Distributors and received straight, 6-foot sections in a cardboard tube. Much easier to work with! Tonight, I finished temporary attaching them with clecoes. Soon, I'll drill and countersink for #6 screws. Thanks for all the help and advice.

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

I had to look up what a clecko was. Interesting. Why and How do you use them? I read that they are temporary fasteners but how do they help here? I'm guessing it has to do with counter-sinking after strip is down in position but thought one would use temporary screws like flatheads prior to countersinking. thanks
    Hull is beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by gray duck View Post
    I had to look up what a clecko was. Interesting. Why and How do you use them? I read that they are temporary fasteners but how do they help here? I'm guessing it has to do with counter-sinking after strip is down in position but thought one would use temporary screws like flatheads prior to countersinking. thanks
    Hull is beautiful!

Hi Gray Duck,

Thanks for the kind words. Cleco temporary fasteners are a quick, convenient means to hold parts together on a temporary basis. The are generally used for aircraft sheet metal assembly. Those shown are for 1/8" holes, though a few other sizes are available. I like them as they are much quicker to install and remove than a screw and maintain accurate alignment once installed. Plus, I have quite a few left over from when I build my plane.

Regards,