Thread: New boat from Big Pond Boatworks

Default New boat from Big Pond Boatworks

Nelson Zimmer's Utility Launch, built in Mahone Bay, NS by Big Pond Boatworks.

Nelson Zimmerman utility launch by Big Pond Boatworks 12 May 2021.jpg
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: New boat from Big Pond Boatworks

Wow, that would be the perfect boat for the inshore canals and lakes over here, nice!
    kanalen nederland.jpg

Sweet looking boat.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I'd like to see a pic of the fellow walking past the boat inside that compact cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    I'd like to see a pic of the fellow walking past the boat inside that compact cabin.
    I'd guess sitting only - but maybe room for a stove & a couple of bunks. Love to see the interior - I like the boat!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

She has been my dream power boat since I first opened whichever volume she’s in in in the Woodenboat Plans Catalog.

She looks lovely “ in the flesh”.

The cabin is for camping and for keeping stuff out of the elements.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Not much room for people in there...

I can’t say that I see the point of it with half the length taken up by a cabin that is too small to be of any use other than to house the engine - she looks like a miniaturised version of something that’d actually be a useful size.

Is there a plan view available? Are there bunks or something alongside the engine perhaps?

Or is it purely intended as a work/tow boat perhaps?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

As its name implies, it is a utility launch - no bunks, no head, no table, just a warm, dry storage area for ropes & tackle & stuff.

(not the boat in th eOP

Any constructions details? Carvel...strip...glass in or out...framing? Engine choice?
    She looks lovely.

I get that the name implies what it is designed for, but it “looks” to be built more like a picnic boat than a work boat and there are so many work boat designs being adopted for leisure craft use - quite often just because of some romantic notion, that I wonder at the choice of some of them for such a purpose..
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schweiss View Post
    Any constructions details? Carvel...strip...glass in or out...framing? Engine choice?
    She looks lovely.
    I do not have any info on the construction method used in this build, Paul. The ad for plans in WB says it is designed for carvel planking, and powered by a 6 to 8 hp diesel.

If memory serves, the ad copy for the Zimmer launch in Fifty Wooden Boats (I think) states that she was originally built as as resort ferry. I will check when I have a chance.

If so, then the observation that she is built like a picnic boat isn't all that far from the mark.

From Fifty Wooden Boats:

"Designed as a tender to a Canadian north-woods fishing camp, her principal task is to ferry passengers and supplies between the camp and town, some miles across a rather large lake. Great speed was not desired; what was wanted was an able hull, one that could cope with the chop from a fresh breeze or glide silently through the water to avoid disturbing the fishing grounds.

...the boat was designed to use the ... Sabb single-cylinder 6- to 8hp diesel. But it should be noted that her top speed (7 knots) is achieved at half-throttle ... providing plenty of torque to swing a large, efficient wheel. At that rate, fuel consumption is a little under four-tenths of a gallon per hour, which translated to about 18 mpg.

The cuddy aft provides a safe place to stow gear and offers shelter against a passing rain squall or a chill breeze, while with the canvas hood indicated on the drawings and some camping equipment, she can even double as an overnight cruiser."

Well, there you go. I must say I've always liked the look of this launch.

Question: I notice that the boat in the OP appears to have a smaller diameter prop and more air between the prop and the rudder than the drawing seems to show; supposing that is so, how significant a change do these things make to the numbers quoted? I would suppose that efficiency is reduced, since the engine will have to turn at higher rpm, and that steering sensitivity would be reduced - is that likely correct?

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    From Fifty Wooden Boats:

"Designed as a tender to a Canadian north-woods fishing camp, her principal task is to ferry passengers and supplies between the camp and town, some miles across a rather large lake. Great speed was not desired; what was wanted was an able hull, one that could cope with the chop from a fresh breeze or glide silently through the water to avoid disturbing the fishing grounds.

...the boat was designed to use the ... Sabb single-cylinder 6- to 8hp diesel. But it should be noted that her top speed (7 knots) is achieved at half-throttle ... providing plenty of torque to swing a large, efficient wheel. At that rate, fuel consumption is a little under four-tenths of a gallon per hour, which translated to about 18 mpg.

The cuddy aft provides a safe place to stow gear and offers shelter against a passing rain squall or a chill breeze, while with the canvas hood indicated on the drawings and some camping equipment, she can even double as an overnight cruiser."
    You’ve completely changed my opinion - I can indeed see the point with that description.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I think this is a design that could be well suited to electric propulsion.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I love it when what at first look like bad ideas are actually very and specifically good.

Quote Originally Posted by pandelume View Post
    Well, there you go. I must say I've always liked the look of this launch.

Question: I notice that the boat in the OP appears to have a smaller diameter prop and more air between the prop and the rudder than the drawing seems to show; supposing that is so, how significant a change do these things make to the numbers quoted? I would suppose that efficiency is reduced, since the engine will have to turn at higher rpm, and that steering sensitivity would be reduced - is that likely correct?
    I expect that the prop is smaller because the prop shop that supplied it did not read the passage from Fifty Wooden Boats that I posted above: "...it should be noted that her top speed (7 knots) is achieved at half-throttle ... providing plenty of torque to swing a large, efficient wheel." and sized the prop for the engine power and gearbox ratio. That will probably reduce her fuel efficiency, but it will prevent over-revving and possibly damaging the prop with cavitation (these youngsters today who believe that a throttle is actually a full-on/completely-off switch, eh? <grin>) I am not so certain about any adverse effect on steering - what is lost of a larger diameter prop-wash acting on the rudder may be gained back by a smaller but stronger prop wash from the smaller, higher-revving propeller.

Can one still buy a Sabb single?
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I do not know, Andrew. My world usually involves much larger engines, so I don't pay much attention.

I used to own a scaled up version of that - scaled up to 33' on deck, built cold-molded in North Carolina, reportedly with Nelson Zimmer's input. I'll see if I can find pictures, but it was a long time ago. The owner previous to me added a small pilothouse forward of the cabin, as well as a mast/main/genoa.
    It had been sitting for a long time and needed a bunch of work. Sadly my job vanished when I was partway through so I sold it to a gent with more time/resources. I think that he still lives aboard on the Chesapeake.
    It was named "Kiss Me Kate" when I bought it, re-named to "Uncle Duke"...
    Sometimes you've gotta leave the kibble out where the slow dogs can get some....
    ... Roy Blount, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I think this is a design that could be well suited to electric propulsion.
    I had this thought as well. I am looking forward to a time when electric boat propulsion isn't astronomically expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I expect that the prop is smaller because the prop shop that supplied it did not read the passage from Fifty Wooden Boats that I posted above: "...it should be noted that her top speed (7 knots) is achieved at half-throttle ... providing plenty of torque to swing a large, efficient wheel." and sized the prop for the engine power and gearbox ratio. That will probably reduce her fuel efficiency, but it will prevent over-revving and possibly damaging the prop with cavitation (these youngsters today who believe that a throttle is actually a full-on/completely-off switch, eh? <grin>) I am not so certain about any adverse effect on steering - what is lost of a larger diameter prop-wash acting on the rudder may be gained back by a smaller but stronger prop wash from the smaller, higher-revving propeller.
    Thanks very much for the reply.