Thread: Bronze or Silicone Bronze

Default Bronze or Silicone Bronze

I'm adding side braces inside the sides of my cabin like in the pictures.

My question is regarding one of strength and corrosion. Fresh water sailing only for the foreseeable future.

Is it overkill to go with silicone bronze over standard bronze? Any suggestions on the bronze alloy?
    5587150L.jpg5587185L.jpg
    I was thinking 1/8 think bar.

Thanks, Kirt

Default Re: Bronze or Silicone Bronze

There is no standard bronze, silicon bronze is one of many bronze groups. For this application any of them would work, I would use silicon bronze or aluminum bronze depending on availability.

Are you sure these braces are needed? 1/8" will add strength, but only in tension. Do you have shroud loads or other loads you are trying to resolve this way?

Lotsa different bronze alloys.

I’d think if fresh water only, cost & availability would be your first filters. The info at that link may tell you more about where specific alloys are best used.

There are lots of different types of bronze out there. Common ones used in a marine environment are silicon-bronze, aluminum-bronze, manganese-bronze, and copper-nickle-bronze (usually called cupronickle). In the application that you show, you are looking for tensile strength mostly, with a wee bit of elasticity. Any of these bronze alloys will do, as the stresses in your cabin trunk will not be all that great. It will come down to mostly, what colour of bronze do you like, and how much does it cost? There will also be varying degrees of availability in the size of bar that you want. In descending order, the alloys with greatest tensile strength are:

cupronickle - 128000 psi
    manganese bronze - 119000 psi
    aluminum bronze - 85000 psi
    silicon bronze - 60000 psi.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Thumbs up Re: Bronze or Silicone Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    There are lots of different types of bronze out there. Common ones used in a marine environment are silicon-bronze, aluminum-bronze, manganese-bronze, and copper-nickle-bronze (usually called cupronickle). In the application that you show, you are looking for tensile strength mostly, with a wee bit of elasticity. Any of these bronze alloys will do, as the stresses in your cabin trunk will not be all that great. It will come down to mostly, what colour of bronze do you like, and how much does it cost? There will also be varying degrees of availability in the size of bar that you want. In descending order, the alloys with greatest tensile strength are:

cupronickle - 128000 psi
    manganese bronze - 119000 psi
    aluminum bronze - 85000 psi
    silicon bronze - 60000 psi.

Thanks for the education on the various types.

I'll start with the local metal suppliers and see what they have in flat bars.

Thanks Again!

It's unlikely your local suppliers will stock flat bar bronze. I found it's usually sheared from plate. I've ordered from both Atlas and national bronze.
    Cheers,
    Mark

https://atlasmetal.com/

https://www.nationalbronze.com/

https://www.farmerscopper.com/

For fresh water brass would be just fine

Quote Originally Posted by MonAutreAmour1 View Post
    I'm adding side braces inside the sides of my cabin like in the pictures.

My question is regarding one of strength and corrosion. Fresh water sailing only for the foreseeable future.

Is it overkill to go with silicone bronze over standard bronze? Any suggestions on the bronze alloy?
    5587150L.jpg5587185L.jpg
    I was thinking 1/8 think bar.

Thanks, Kirt
    What are you expecting those braces to do?

I initially thought that you were referring to hanging knees stiffening the cabin side deckhouse roof joint. Is that what you really mean?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.