Thread: a sad boat story

Default a sad boat story

Hi everyone,
    I've always loved boats and have had a couple of nice ones over the years, but in my retirement I always wanted to build myself a small traditional yacht, so over four years ago I started building my boat, she's more than half built now and was coming along nicely, just before the end of last year I was diagnosed with some pretty nasty stuff, and to cut a long story short, sadly I've had to give up any plans to finish her as I'm no longer able to do so, I've looked at trying to recoup some of my material costs but have since decided that somehow I'd like to donate her to cancer research, I see in the US and the UK there are firms that do this sort of thing, they turn up and take away your boat, car, caravan or anything really and presumably turn it into cash for your chosen charity, unfortunately I can't seem to find anything like that here in NZ, so was wandering if you guys out there may be able to offer suggestions on how I could go about organizing something like this, and I'd like to get onto it wile I still can, so any ideas you have would be much appreciated.....................
    Regards
    Chris

Default Re: a sad boat story

Hey Chris, if you wish, and think it might be helpful, list what you have on my facebook page and I'll give it a push. If you put it in there for "sale to a good home, proceeds to cancer research" that might attract a worthwhile bid.

Take care, look after yourself.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Hi Chris-Sorry to hear this. Hope someone comes along who can pick this up and carry on. What boat is it?

All the best. Tom

Very sorry to hear of your prognosis. Please list your project on the Wooden Boat Forum facebook page. We can make good happen.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

I'm sorry to hear of your situation and I hope you can find a home for all your hard work.

Hi John,
    Thanks very much for your response, I've never been a fan of facebook or any social media really but can see the exposure would definitely help, so I would be more than happy to proceed with that somehow, I've arranged to talk with someone at trademe (hard to get hold of real person) to see if I can change the wording of the add, I considered taking it down and head off on a new tack but I think it's a good place for people to check it out as there are plenty of photos there and information, I'll see how I get on, also on the Multiple Myeloma NZ website there are some interesting possibilities on there donations and fundraise page, during the build of the boat which I enjoyed very much I've reconciled to the fact that I've spent four years working for cancer, and I feel really contented and happy with this decision, take care................
    Chris

Hi Tom,
    Thanks very much for your comments, I too hope someone will come along and take it on, will see I guess.............
    Regards
    Chris

Hi Ben,
    Thanks very much for your comments, yes I'll think about that, trouble is I'm looking at the local market here in New Zealand, not that woodenboat doesn't have the coverage here, which I'm sure it dose, anyway will see what happens I guess..............

Regards

Chris

Thanks very much Alan.

Regards

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by SEAKB View Post
    Hi John,
    Thanks very much for your response, I've never been a fan of facebook or any social media really but can see the exposure would definitely help, so I would be more than happy to proceed with that somehow, I've arranged to talk with someone at trademe (hard to get hold of real person) to see if I can change the wording of the add, I considered taking it down and head off on a new tack but I think it's a good place for people to check it out as there are plenty of photos there and information, I'll see how I get on, also on the Multiple Myeloma NZ website there are some interesting possibilities on there donations and fundraise page, during the build of the boat which I enjoyed very much I've reconciled to the fact that I've spent four years working for cancer, and I feel really contented and happy with this decision, take care................
    Chris
    Thanks Chris, good luck, we're sending positive thoughts in your direction.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Sorry to hear about your situation, Chris. Best of luck in all things.

Hi John,
    Thanks mate I feel the vibes.......... hey I just got thru updating my trademe add and was wandering if you'd still be interested in helping out by way off a link on your facebook page to the trademe add, you'll find it under the heading Golant Gaffer, everything is there I just need to point people in the right direction, every bit helps as they say, take care................

Chris

So very sorry to hear of your situation Chris. I wish you all the best possible. I have a cousin in a similar situation as you.