Thread: Paint quantities for Ilur?

Default Paint quantities for Ilur?

Hello everyone,

Firstly a huge thank you to all the Ilur builders with such excellent posts on this site. A fantastic resource for any new boat builder.

My mate (Matt) and I started building an Ilur from one of Tony O'Conners kits in December 2020. We are both new to boat building. In fact we are both new to wood working, so this has been an adventure to say the least.

I have not been able to generate a post/blog/thread due to work commitments and I am too embarrassed to share any photos in the build stage when I see the high quality of the work on Ilurs in PA, Vermont, NZ, Finland, Hansville.

This weekend with a bit of luck we hope to put on the whiskey plank. So after a bit of fairing and prep we will be ready to seal, prime and paint in May.

Can anyone provide any advice on the of quantity of paint they used for their build at all?

We plan to use Northane Gloss (https://www.norglass.com.au/products/northane-gloss) for the exterior hull, thwarts and floor boards in Taubmanss Cape Blue (https://www.taubmans.com.au/colource...7099/cape-blue), with probably two coats given it is a "two-pack aliphatic linear polyurethane". The interior will be done in Northane as well in white. Sheer strake and spars will be bright and sealed with Norglass' Microshield marine varnish (https://www.norglass.com.au/products/microshield-traditional-marine-varnish )

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And I promise to post some pictures when we are done!

Many thanks for such a great forum.

Maso

Last edited by Maso; 04-22-2021 at 05:42 AM.

Default Re: Paint quantities for Ilur?

That is a very nice color, it is close to the Stars-n-Stripes blue that is seen on some nice boats here in The States.
    Sorry, don't know about your paint brands.

Tell you what. Man up and post those photos and some of the experts here can give helpful advice. We won't think less of you for a rough job, we all started at zero, just like you.
    Last edited by Autonomous; 04-21-2021 at 08:33 PM.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

Hi Autonomous,

Thanks for your advice (?).

Here are a couple of photos to whet your appetite. We got #9 on today.

9th plank.jpg

Transom.jpgCentreboard.jpgLaser line in red.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Yer gonna wanna seal/prime before the LP topcoats,no?
    Topcoat goes a long way, as they are put on as thin as you can , in general.
    Undercoater/primer/sealer/barriercoat tends to be put on thick , and half sanded off
    I use MUCH more undercoate than topcoat, like a gallon to the pint almost.
    Dat bote look jusfine !
    bruce

Thanks Bruce

boat will be sealed with epoxy, then get a primed and undercoated with a product called Shipshape that is chemically designed for Norglass.

Regards
    Grant
    Last edited by Maso; 04-23-2021 at 05:15 PM.