Thread: Froli Sleep Systems?

Default Froli Sleep Systems?

Anybody here ever installed a Froli Sleep System under their berth cushions? To those for whom the name Froli doesn't ring a bell, you may have seen ads for a network of square plastic components that snap together to form a "spring" system which augments typical foam berth cushions, making more of an "innerspring" mattress.

Default Re: Froli Sleep Systems?

I understood that their main purpose was to reduce condensation. I've delivered boats with them

advertized dual purpose; reduce condensation AND increase comfort.

Watching with interest.

A fellow on the Trawler Forum suggested I look at cruiserforum.com. Using the search function there I found a multi-page thread about sleep comfort. Interspaced with a LOT of suggestions regarding foam materials there are a few favorable comments about Froli; sufficiently favorable for us to seriously entertain purchase.

There's discussion about Froli on the Teardrop & Tiny Travel Trailer forums at http://tnttt.com

There's also this stuff called Hypervent, made here in the PNW, up in Marysville, WA.

http://www.hyperventmarine.com/index.html

You can buy it direct from them at https://www.hyperventonline.com or from Defender at https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1818021
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

The Hypervent looks to be a better product.

There used to be a firm in Michigan City, IN that made something looking very similar out of latex-treated curled hogs hair. It was used in shaped blocks to package expensive radio tubes, like for radar. They must be out of biz now with all the advances in plastic-based packaging medium. Indeed, at just the right density it would provide ventillation as well as "spring". However, as a retired product designer I'm sure the Foli folks have tweaked their invention for optimum sleep comfort. The Germans have been very good at engineering the mechanical properties of thermoplastics for decades.
    Last edited by Nicholas Scheuer; 04-23-2021 at 07:19 AM.

Thanks for the tip. Looking into Hypervent. It's just up the road from my boat
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Hypervent would not be my first choice in some applications, not because it doesn't work but because they can do better. We did a lot of work on anti-condensation mats in cold weather testing on our commercial roof top tents. The same principals apply and while Hypervent works well for ventilation it isn't the most comfortable as it is quite stiff and a bit prickly. We were looking for a system that behaves like a box spring. On roof tents weight is a consideration and a good foam mattress can run as high as a third of the total structure weight so there is an incentive to use thin foam. We found that a good anti-condensation mat will add a nice cushion and work well with a thin foam mattress. I've use a mat we used to source from Germany on the bunks in my old wooden Folkboat. The mats are so comfortable by themselves we didn't need cushions. OK, the boat leaks a lot when racing and you want things that dry quickly, you get the idea. I hesitate to recommend the German mat as it is prohibitively expensive. Something like $200 + shipping for a full sized mattress.

The other finding was that you need for airflow. With a softer mat you can run the mat around the edge and up the sides of the mattress so air can flow under the mattress. On a boat you can also induce airflow from below by having some vent holes to carry the moisture away.

The closest product I've found here in the States is a material from Sailrite. It is thinner and maybe a little softer than the German product but has a similar feel. I just got some for my boat and it looks like the best bang for the buck.

I don't endorse products, this is just an alternative to Froli, For the record I've never used the Froli system

https://www.sailrite.com/Moisture-Pr...rliner-60-x-90
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another option would be Ikea's bed slats.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/bed-slats-24827/

They're sprung wood slats (maple?, birch?) held together with twill tape. Gets the mattress up and so allows some airflow.

Cheap, too! $30 for twin up to king.

Drawback for a boat, though, is that they're standard mattress sizes only.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

The IKEA bed slats I've used on our main bed I've built at home very comfortable, I have 4 sets on the motor boat waiting to be installed..
    I'll have to realign the tape and trim to length each Barton. There will be a foam mattress on top of course..
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Wouldn't you still get moisture from the slats or have the slats keep the mattress from breathing at the points of contact?

So I ended up buying the Ikea bed slats. My bunks are 30 inches wide which means the two pieces for a queen bed fit. At $30 to do both bunks it was a no brainer

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Wouldn't you still get moisture from the slats or have the slats keep the mattress from breathing at the points of contact?
    I certainly did with a set-up I know isn't exactly the op, but a futon style mattress on one of those Ikea slat supports, on a sofa bed so not touching the floor like a normal futon, in a spare room that isn't damp, The futon is heavy shredded and compacted recycled rags by the look of it, in a heavy twill cotton cover . When I aired the room and turned the mattress over , where every slat touched there was a strip of mould.
    Maybe the futon 's fault , not the slat support , but be wary of the choice of mattress on top.
    Bilious, choleric, sanguine and phlegmatic

Defender Industries is now having a sales promotion on Froli.

No connection, etc.

I got the Ikea slats installed after a bit of trimming. We will see how they are to sleep on.

boat slats 1.jpg