Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Island 15 restoration

Default Green Island 15 restoration

Hi all. I'm going to start a new thread on what I hope will be a quick and simple restore of my newly acquired Green Island 15. Having built and documented on here my 20' Egret styled sharpie, and the 20' Payne motor launch (now both sold), I just bought this lovely little skiff/dory which I will sail up in the Great Sandy Straits. It was designed by Mike Roberts back around the turn of the millenium I think. It needs a small amount of work before I sail and trailer it, which is worth documenting. But the other reason for the thread is to get some documentation of this lovely boat up onto the web, because info is scarce and hard to come by. I did by the way buy a copy of Issue #21 of Boat Design Quarterly before I actually bought the boat, to get a bit more info on it. Once I bought the boat, it came with a full set of plans and instructions (more than 70 pages), which was terrific.

Green Island 15.jpg

Since picking the boat up last week, I've replaced the tyres, bearings, springs, and axle on the trailer. Now that I've got the boat off the trailer and onto the front lawn under some shade cloth (my preferred boat building location - breezy, fresh air and a good view), I'll also be able to go over the trailer in detail and give everything a very good coating of what we call Lanotec over here. It's a blend of lanolin, organic methyl ester, coconut oil and some other organic ingredients and is outstanding for keeping rust at bay on boat trailers.

IMG_1716.jpg IMG_1717.jpg

Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Default Re: Green Island 15 restoration

The boat was very poorly set up on the trailer and difficult to launch. It was supported by the bunks and barely sitting on the keel rollers, and all at the wrong angle. I needed to move the bow eye about 250mm lower to get all the geometry right.

This trick might amuse you. The foredeck is enclosed for 1 metre back from the bows with only a small access hatch in the bulkhead, maybe 300mm square, so no way to even come close to reaching inside to put washers and nuts back onto the eye bolt. The deck is well braced with beams so no space at all for a new deck access hatch.

I managed to get the bolt undone by pulling back on the bolt whilst unscrewing it, so the nut gripped against the stem. Spent the rest of the morning cutting the notch for new eye-bolt hole, epoxying, painting, patching the old hole, etc and then, over lunch, sorted out the plan. Yang Yang (my wife) looked at me a bit sceptically when I told her I thought I had a good plan.

I got some strongish polyester cotton sewing thread, inserted a thin long dowel through the new hole from the front, to which Yang Yang attached the cotton, then drew the cotton back through the hole. So now we had a flying fox of sorts from the bulkhead hatch down to the new bolt hole. Put the eye bolt back in with sealant. It was a tight fit and was probably effectively screwed into the 100mm stem anyway, but the cotton survived without breaking. So then we carefully placed first the large backing washer, and then the spring washer onto the cotton thread and jiggled them the one metre down the cotton flying fox to the bolt end, and up and onto it. Then, with a socket slid onto a metre long length of 12mm square pine, and with the nut slid into the socket, carefully placed it onto the bolt as well. Tightened up and all done. Took about five minutes for the whole job after lunch. Just in time for an after-lunch rum.

IMG_1720.jpg

The main issue I noticed after a short sail was some cracking between the ply bottom sheet and the sides (there's a 3"x2" internal chine log) around the middle of the boat, and about 1' long on one side and 3' long on the other. There doesn't seem to be any glass on the chine, though I did manage to find the builder and he said there was. This afternoon I will sand off some paint and inspect further. But I am puzzled as to why this has happened, especially as it has happened on both sides in roughly the same place. There is no leak.

I wonder if perhaps it was caused by the boat sitting on the bunks which were sitting under the ply bottom, and as I mentioned, supporting the boat instead of it being supported on its keel. I have since changed all this but I did drive the boat for a hour up the highway before I readjusted the way the boat sits on the trailer.

It's of course hard to tell but the cracks look relatively newish. Any ideas? I plan to strip all the paint off and glass the full chines on both sides with 4-6" biaxial cloth in any case. Any other suggestions?

Attachment 84413 Attachment 84414

The boat is water-ballasted with two 75 litre tanks either side of the centreboard. They are about 4" deep with small access hatches in inconvenient locations. I've already raised this with the aussie contingent and got some advice but still haven't got the answer as to the best way to quickly fill and empty them. But that's a topic I'll return to later on. The cracks are the number one issue to deal with.

Sweet boat, johnno, and clever solution for the bow eye.

Your pictures are not showing. That has happened to me recently, and I finally figured out the solution. Resize the image and post again with a smaller file size, and you will be good to go.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Thanks UC2, I'll give that a go. Spent the morning sanding off the paint along the chines ready for glassing them. Horrible job but actually the ply looked good. Seems it is a double layered ply bottom and I think a bit of deterioration of the bonding or filler along the very edge of the ply layer joint had caused the paint layer to open up a fine crack.

I'm happy to be glassing the chines anyway, and I think I might overlap the bias cloth for 8' or so mid-length just for extra strength. I think when the boat is on the trailer and snugged down, with a boat with this amount of rocker, no matter how well supported, will put loads on the bottom panel along the edges while travelling over bumps etc that the boat would never experience in the water.

Had about four failures of my sanding belts after the first one wore out, each one within seconds of starting to use it. I suspect they are just old, left over from the last build. Found a slightly newer one and no problem.

Let's try that smaller photo size.

IMG_1727.jpg

Going backwards to go forwards. Chines taped, fairing compound applied, rest of exterior sanded back. Bought all the paint today.
    IMG_1728.jpg IMG_1729.jpg

Another day another dollar.

IMG_1736.jpg

First coat of bottom paint on. Sixteen hours until next coat and at least ten days before it can go back on the trailer I'd say. Seems I'll be taking a break so should have even longer before it hits the trailer bunks and rollers - which can only be good. How many coats of bottom paint I wonder? It's just external high quality enamel, nothing fancy.

IMG_1738.jpg

First topsides coat on, second bottom coat. It's frustrating having to wait so long between coats but satisfying getting this far after a few days of work. Showers forecast over the next few days so next moves will be trying to get the area protected as best I can. Have been lucky with the weather so far I guess.

IMG_1743.jpg

Here's a couple of low res images from the segment on the Green Island 15 in Boat Design Quarterly I mentioned previously, just to give you a bit more of an idea about her.

elevation.jpg plans.jpg

Boy this is slow work, not helped by being back and forth between places. Boat is back on the trailer thanks to helpful neighbours. Then I noticed another tyre going flat so back up to Maryborough, I thought to probably just buy replacement rims and tyres and be done with it. The current rims seems to promote leaks from tubeless tyres. However, the young guy suggested I just put tubes in the exisiting tyres and save myself a couple of hundred. So did that but have to take off the other tyre tomorrow and get a tube put in too.

Then there was all the interior sanding to do plus getting rid of all clumps of Norglass deck paint the original builder had sprayed all over the interior using a fork. I just took it off the thwarts as best I could but the whole sanding prep job took two days. My normal posture for doing this looked a bit like a yoga pose - sitting on the bottom of the boat on one knee with one leg crossed under me, other leg hooked over behind my neck, stabilising hand tucked under the first knee and gripping the centreboard case while the sanding hand poked through one ear, out the other and on upwards as I tried to lean over and peer under the thwart to see what bits I still hadn't sanded.

Then another day stripping off fittings, cleaning off the sanding residue, sugarsoaping (again) and masking off the few bits of varnished trim (with the horrible blue tape). Now I'm a couple of days into the painting but of course each coat again needs 24 hours between coats, so tedious it remains. Still the end is in sight. Photos aren't great because of the glare but she has a deep maroon bottom, white topsides, deck and thwarts, and a shell-coloured interior. Looking quite good if I blur my eyes a bit.

GI painting 1.jpg

GI painting 2.jpg
    Last edited by johnno; 05-23-2021 at 10:10 PM.

Sweet little boat Johnno, ‘don’t know how I managed to miss this thread before.

In regards the water ballast tanks, a bit left field but would something like an aluminium rotary drum pump with a clever valve manifold system be too cumbersome for you? They’re cheap enough to buy and swap out if/when they corrode and will pump about 20-30 litres a minute and don’t need any power other than your own arm.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/35336330...xoC4tQQAvD_BwE
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Very cool boat! I admire sharpies, but have never owned one.

Hi Greg, yep thanks, they look interesting. The main problem is that the inspection hatch is a bit tucked under the thwart so you can't come straight down on it. I basically need to pump salt water in from beside the boat before I sail, on both sides obviously, and then empty them when I return. So I'm pumping above the water with nowhere to rest first of all, and then pumping out on an angle when I return. I've got a rhule inline pump (high capacity) I'm going to try next, though I did a test with one of those whitworths hand pump bailers (look like a bike pump) which I already had in the shed for Sarah Wilson and it surprised me by how quickly it emptied a bucket, and it got virtually every last drop.

Cheers John, hopefully I'll have some sailing reports and a bit of video sometime in the not too distant future!

A nice looking boat.
    I agree with the rotary pump, there's one not 10 feet from me, to empty / fill an oil resistor bath occasionally.. Very efficient, but a hefty piece of metal that would need tying down if carried on board.

Lanoguard is the equivalent anti rust spray here in the UK..

A clever bit of work getting the eye bolt reattached..

The eye bolt problem, was realised when designing my boat, so she was built old school, if you see the photo, the "eyes" on the bows have a hole / pipe going right through from Port to Starboard.. I just feed a rope through, alternatively there's a steel rod that goes though to provide a pulling handle..

IMG_20210425_123228_1.jpg

Enjoy your sailing..
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Hi all. I'm going to start a new thread on what I hope will be a quick and simple restore of my newly acquired Green Island 15. Having built and documented on here my 20' Egret styled sharpie, and the 20' Payne motor launch (now both sold)
    Hi johnno
    Worthy project you have scored there.
    Just wondering ...What were your reflections on the Egret semi replica?How did it sail etc...and what are you looking for in the GI15 thats different?
    Very pretty boat and loved your sharing of the build.
    Ta
    Wayne
    Fremantle
    (Goat Island Skiff)

The Q, good to hear from you and nice to see your boat too.

Hi Wayne, thanks for the nice comments on Little Egret. She sailed very well, and I was very happy with her. That particular sail arrangement which we deliberately inherited from the bigger original did cramp the cockpit somewhat. The penalty of having a smaller boat I suppose. And also realistically, though a 20' boat, the canoe stern meant she was really only the equivalent of about a 15' boat. There was a single more central mast position which did very much free up the space but she had much reduced sail in that configuration. But If I'd have been of a mind I could have happily sailed her for years up here in the straits. But I moved on to other projects.

With the GI15, I was looking for a boat which can stand up to the frequent 15kn winds up around here without having to hike out all the time (I'm over 70 now) and the internal water ballast will achieve that. The gunter rig makes for a short mast and easily rigged boat, and she's got plenty of space to comfortably moce around for two of us. And when I feel like it, I can put the two and a half hp on the stern and go fly fishing! Well, that's the plan!!

What should be the last of the painting photos. Bibs and bobs have been screwed or bolted back on. Had a very nice call with the designer this afternoon and it looks like he's moving forward with some interesting developments for the future of the boat with an association possibly in the wings. That's terrific news! We're about to head back to Brisbane so next progress will be a couple of weeks off - getting her rigged and seeing what needs doing in that regard.

G I 3.jpg

Green Island painting 4.jpg

After a couple of week's absence, back up to the boat. I was hoping for a sail, but the tides and weather have conspired against me. Strangely for the sub-tropics, we had fog nearly all day today, and rain forecast for tomorrow and next day. But it's the tides which have really done me in - very low highs in early afternoon, with water barely reaching the boat ramp, and of course that'll mean lows during the middle of the day next week when the weather clears. Launching from Poona really means the sailing opportunity is about 2-3 hours either side of the high.

Had a lovely visit down to the boat designer's shop last week - a chance for a good natter about the boat and its history. He's actually in the process of reconfiguring a few things on his own prototype for the GI15 which must be coming up to 25 years old now I'd guess. He was a mine of great info and a lovely bloke.

So first job today was putting some carpeted protectors on the inside of the mudguards - boat is quite close and I could see the previous owner had routinely rubbed off paint on both the guards and the tie down ring welded onto the top of the guards. Being flat bottomed, she will drift sideways easily at the ramp if there's any waves or wind, and these carpeted guides should help with launching and retrieval as well a being a paint protector.

This afternoon I put up the main just to familiarize myself with the process, with a few tips from the designer. Things I will spend the next few days doing will be configuring a new mainsheet system more in line with the original design, and installing reefing hardware, kicker, cunningham, and lazy jack. All controls for reefing and trim will be located around the base of the mast including boom outhaul.

I'll think about dropping all the lines down to some jammers on the forward thwart in lieu of the cleats around the mast. One owner I met a couple of weeks ago had some protective padding around them because he'd had a bad experience of the jib catching on them and tipping him over.

IMG_2001sm.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johnno; 06-16-2021 at 04:04 AM.

It's probably a bit late now you've painted the bottom, but the Welsford scamp uses a bung in the bottom to fill the ballast tank, and is just unscrewed through the access port. I assume the water ballast is just drained out once on the trailer https://duckworks.com/bronze-garboard-drain-plug/

Hi Pelagos. Thanks, yes, I'm aware of that approach and did consider it. The Cygnet gaffer made here in Australia and Swallow Yachts in GB also make use of through-hulls to fill and drain the ballast tanks. I did go for a sail on the Cygnet and there's a bit of messing around to get the tanks to fill right up. If you don't get the tanks properly full, then the moving water can actually destabilize the boat a bit. In the end I've decided to see how my DC powered pump works. But I've also even contemplated filling the ballast tanks with sand. I don't intend to travel with the boat on the trailer much so weight is not an issue.

Spent last night learning to tie soft shackles in dyneema and also a continuous loop. So armed with some new soft shackles and loops I relocated the main sheet block down on the sole where the designer suggested it go and fitted one soft shackle to another block in the system which sits on the port quarter. Need to tie another soft shackle for the main sheet block tonight. Seems to work well but I forgot to take a pic.

I think from memory I used to attach fittings on previous builds using sikaflex but this time I'm putting epoxy into all the screw holes for small things like saddles and even slighly larger fittings such as the jam cleats.

Also fitted some mooring/towing cleats on both quarters, and then rigged up a Huntingford tiller impeder which seems to function mechanically quite well, but we'll see what it's really like on the water.

Bit more work today. First up was setting up a controllable topping lift in place of the fixed length make-do version that was on the boat. I was going to make some light lazy-jacks but I decided I wanted a topping lift anyway (comes off the boom more easily) and I can add the jacks later if I really find a need for them. No pics but a simple task of adding a small block onto the D-shackle that attaches the starboard shroud to the mast tang, and there was already a fixed saddle at the end of the top of the boom which is a part of the boom outhaul system (mainly a Riley 361 outhaul), so an extra twisted D-shackle added to that gives a simple hook-on point for the topping lift without having to drill more holes in the boom. (pic below). Snap hook tied onto the boom end of the topping lift and all done.

I then wasted an hour or so thinking about how and where to stow an anchor out of the way and where it won't detach in the event of a capsize. Somehow or other I've collected three sand anchors in different sizes and wanted to maybe use one of those, but couldn't figure out a good system that worked. Unfortunately even my smallest but still adequate anchor shank pokes above the forward thwart by about 50mm if I stowed it centrally and vertically just in front of the mast, so it's going to need some more thinking on. Also, I've been really happy with the 1.5kg Coopers anchor I have on my 6m glass fly fishing skiff, and being nylon covered it's very kind to boats. So, we'll see.

After lunch I tackled the reefing system. Reefing points were already in the sail luckily, but no fittings on the boom. I couldn't find a small enough cheek block at the local chandlery the other day so it was a matter of making do with what I had in my bibs and bobs box. I used a Riley nylon fairlead instead of the cheek block, added a few more Riley midget fairleads to take a line forward and ended it with a Riley fairlead V jamb. Plus a saddle on the port side of the boom opposite the nylon fairlead to tie off the other end of the reefing line.

Nothing special in all that but again I'm including everything I can so this is a bit of a permanent resource for others with a GI15 who might need to check something in future.

Sorry, I took the photos of the boom back to front in the boat without thinking.
    outhaul.jpg
    Last edited by johnno; 06-19-2021 at 02:58 AM.

Another small but important job - rowlock risers. I noticed when repainting the boat that there was a bit of paint wear about midway along the gunwale edge. Then I noticed it was alongside the small rowlock plates which were flush mounted onto the gunwhale. Guessing it was the oars which were doing the damage, I decided to make some quick and dirty rowlock risers from what is to hand up here at the beach. I'm doing all this work with just a few lime green tools, and a few basic woodworking bits as most of my tools are in the city. So these are some ironbark floor board off-cuts epoxied and varnished. I reused the chromed fittings with a bit of a polish up, as again the holes in the gunwhales match and there's nowhere close to get better quality fittings. Just looking at Whitworhts, I see the SS version is actually cheaper than the chromed version.

The old position of the rowlock plates was dead centre of the gunwhale, and my timber was only 20mm high, so I offset the hole in these risers to move the riser more outboard and give me a bit more protection.

Can someone explain to me why sometimes my images have a little text saying 'attached images' and seem to have a slight grey background around them, and on other posts they are just normal images the way I'd like them? All images are less than 700 pixels wide, are horizontal and are smaller than 90kb Thanks.

Had some fun today. We're in lockdown, away from the boat, and I recently got a little Singer heavy duty sewing machine with the idea of making myself bits and bobs for the boat as I need them. No way I could justify the cost of a Sailrite for the amount of work I need to do, much as I'd love one, but this machine is proving more than adequate, especially for a hobby pastime.

I need an anchor stowage bag for the GI15, and I bought one ages ago at Bunnings for my fly fishing skiff which was actually sold as a canvas laundry bag. I'd seen some beautiful ones including those made by timber_cruiser (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ope-anchor-bag) which work much like my Bunnings laundry bag. So decided to try to knock up a rough-and-ready one today using the new sewing machine and some old canvas I had lying around, left over from making stretched canvases for painting.

Very happy with the machine, and had fun googling how to sew things. Learnt a lot, and the bag will work just fine I think. Will probably add some grommets in the base for drainage.

anchor bucket 1.jpg

anchor bucket 2.jpg
    Last edited by johnno; 07-03-2021 at 03:02 AM.

Nice! I own a Sailrite now, but for years I used an old (1962) Japanese "badged" machine for sail repair and canvas work. It worked well, and when it got stuck some help turning the wheel by hand usually did the trick. I think I bought that machine for $5, maybe $10.

Had some fun today. We're in lockdown, away from the boat, and I recently got a little Singer heavy duty sewing machine with the idea of making myself bits and bobs for the boat as I need them. No way I could justify the cost of a Sailrite for the amount of work I need to do, much as I'd love one, but this machine is proving more than adequate, especially for a hobby pastime.

I need an anchor stowage bag for the GI15, and I bought one ages ago at Bunnings for my fly fishing skiff which was actually sold as a canvas laundry bag. I'd seen some beautiful ones including those made by timber_cruiser (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ope-anchor-bag) which work much like my Bunnings laundry bag. So decided to try to knock up a rough-and-ready one today using the new sewing machine and some old canvas I had lying around, left over from making stretched canvases for painting.

Very happy with the machine, and had fun googling how to sew things. Learnt a lot, and the bag will work just fine I think. Will probably add some grommets in the base for drainage.

anchor bucket 1.jpg

anchor bucket 2.jpg
    Bit flasher than the ones I've made. Nice.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    Nice! I own a Sailrite now, but for years I used an old (1962) Japanese "badged" machine for sail repair and canvas work. It worked well, and when it got stuck some help turning the wheel by hand usually did the trick. I think I bought that machine for $5, maybe $10.
    Hi John. I'm not sure how strong this machine really is, and I guess I don't really intend to sew sails with it. But I should give it a crack on some old sail material and see how it holds up. The hand-turning certainly works. I kept an eye out for secondhand Sailrites for a while but they're too scarce to come up here at a reasonable price. I'd still love to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Bit flasher than the ones I've made. Nice.
    Rope bags today!

Rope bags today!
    These are the ones I made, they've been very handy.
    ditty bags.jpg
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Good work too Gary - and plenty of them.

I had a first crack at a gear bag today - for vhf, depth sounder, sunburn cream - all the sort of stuff needed close at hand. Got the basic pattern off the sailrite youtube site, but made it quite a lot smaller.

gear bag.jpg

Very nice - which Singer is it Johnno and what sort of weight/cloth can it sew up to?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"