Thread: Mooring deck cleat: which direction?

Default Mooring deck cleat: which direction?

Iím putting a big cleat on the foredeck of my 16í dinghy (anchored to hardwood below, etc). Iím wondering which direction it should face, as Iíve seen both. My inclination was to have to go athwartship (side to side), as thatís how Samson posts are, but maybe thereís a reason to go fore and aft instead?

Default Re: Mooring deck cleat: which direction?

Do you have a certain docking scenario that you use all the time? Such could help drive your decision.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The direction of the strain on the rope normally attached to it should be within 30 - 45 degrees of the long axis of the cleat. Since bow lines from boat to wharf are usually going forward to the boat, the deck cleat is normally placed parallel to the boat centreline.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

No... intent is for it to mainly serve for the anchor, running through chocks on the rails (so a bit forwards and somewhat to the sides of the cleat)

Ahh, thanks mmd — that’s exactly what I wanted to know. Parallel to centerline it is!

Quote Originally Posted by dbp1 View Post
    No... intent is for it to mainly serve for the anchor, running through chocks on the rails (so a bit forwards and somewhat to the sides of the cleat)
    Refer to my previous post, first sentence.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Refer to my previous post, first sentence.
    Sorry, my post crossed with yours — I was responding to Breakaway, but should have quoted him to disambiguate.

And thanks — your post answered my question perfectly.

Placing it fore and aft will also make it easier to get it to lay flat compared to mounting it across the crown of the deck.

Small hint:

A foredeck cleat may grab your jib sheet. (And, of course, always at the least convenient time.) If your boat has a jib, consider arming your cleat with a guard such as this:

Two blocks are drilled to fit over the horns of the cleat, then rounded over. The blocks are joined by a loop of bungee running through athawartship holes. When anchored or docked the gizmo is tossed in the anchor locker. Underway, I no longer worry about the jib sheet getting fouled.

No jib (and the deck is recessed, and flat!), but thanks for the tip!

Good job on the guard, Frank. A buddy slipped off of his boat and a Skene chock snagged his anus and left him dangling there! Fortunately he was not alone and was rescued.
    Thinking about solutions to prevent snags is smart.
    Last edited by Autonomous; 04-19-2021 at 10:35 PM.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

It depends somewhat on the fasteners. If the cleat has only two fasteners the strain should be (as mmd say's) in line or close to it. If the cleat has 4 fasteners in a somewhat square pattern the strain can be from any direction.
    I personally like the 4 bolt style with a chafing plate under it all through bolted as a mooring cleat.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank K. View Post
    Small hint:

A foredeck cleat may grab your jib sheet. (And, of course, always at the least convenient time.) If your boat has a jib, consider arming your cleat with a guard such as this:

Two blocks are drilled to fit over the horns of the cleat, then rounded over. The blocks are joined by a loop of bungee running through athawartship holes. When anchored or docked the gizmo is tossed in the anchor locker. Underway, I no longer worry about the jib sheet getting fouled.
    I've sailed on many boats with those blocks, and they work well. But for my own boats I fit a big stainless U bolt, nothing to catch and you can tie up on it just as well...
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Considered fairleads?
    Obviosly these are better used with 4 point fastening.