Thread: What Think You About This?

Question What Think You About This?

Thread started on another forum I follow has this as the plan for a build:

boat_dimensions.jpg

Early on I tried to steer the OP to this forum for answers to questions asked.

Idea is to epoxy + 'glass this pontoon boat, drive it from the bow with a trolling motor for for fishing by one or two adults.

For the safety of the builder and whomever else goes out on these forays my concern is 1) the dry weight of such a build and 2) what appears to be to be a significant lack of reserve stability.

I'm emphatically no Naval Architect yet my understanding of buoyancy in this case leaves me concerned.

With permissions I may post links to your answers here in that other thread.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: What Think You About This?

The dementions make this a Demon Vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by sp_clark View Post

I'm emphatically no Naval Architec.
    Many would disagree.

Reminds me of the Hawaiian something guy, who built a cat out of house construction materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Reminds me of the Hawaiian something guy, who built a cat out of house construction materials.
    And how well did that work out for him? Any recollection of that cat’s size?

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Many would disagree.
    Um, thanks... I think.

It was a big thread on SA when I used to hang out there. The builder called himself "Flyinghawaiian" he built it on the West Coast, maybe SF. It broke up soon after he launched it.It lasted less time than even I expected.

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/126442-65-by-32-foot-catamaran-3200sqft-of-living-space/

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...h-II&p=3124203
    Last edited by Hwyl; 04-19-2021 at 09:22 AM.

If they want a simple box, why all the fuss with pontoons, etc... i.e., what about something like this: https://duckworks.com/handy-punt-plans/ or https://duckworks.com/jonsboat-plans-instant-download/ or any number of any other punt/garvey type boats...

(is reserve stability a problem? I guess since it's so heavy maybe flipping it back up if you managed to get it over is a problem? But is it actually likely you would flip it? puddle duck racers are 4ft wide boxes, and I've stood on the bow of one and haven't felt remotely unstable... but I know next to nothing about this stuff!)

The cross supports are the weak point. Suggest he laminate a full width second layer across the top. Consider using lumber rather than ply for this step.

If the purpose of the vessel is for a Viking funeral this step may be omitted.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell